Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2004, 09:56 PM
Moved On

Ron:

When it was determined that tents would have to be used for some of the vendors, whether originally planned or an afterthought, why was common sense not used resulting in all the livestock vendors getting placed on the soggy grass side on a make-shift floor that was not level and even moved when large groups of people walked past?

Common sense to me, would have been to relocate those vendors, prior to setup, to the tent that had been setup on the concrete floor.

I am also shocked that you chose to place the NEAQ, a major sponsor of the event, out in a tent.

- JT
Guardian of Little People

Uh, vitz, I think the first two items fall under the "commentary" realm and are not questions Let's keep this a question and answer session, since that is what was offered to us.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Registered Member

It did rain thursday night and friday morning. The floors in the tent got wet and the water was extracted
Old 09/13/2004, 09:57 PM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by mantishunter
In retrospect the tents were pretty good, and thousands of events regularly take p;ace in them including your biggest state faires with far more live stock than us
C'mon Ron, we're not talking about cows and pigs here. Corals and clams are just a bit more sensitive than what's displayed at your average state fair.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 09/13/2004, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Most site selections were at choice. The exhibit space was divided by wholesale, retail, Dot orgs and selling livestock. First come first served. Aqua medic became the acception as we didn't know they would be selling livestock.
Old 09/13/2004, 09:59 PM
RC Staff
American

I was referring more to the possibility of rain during the day, when the event was in full swing, and people wanted to see the vendors, and their wares. Would people have been walking in the rain from the back door of the hotel to the tent, a fair distance away?

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 09/13/2004, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

I've been to lartge convention centers that won't turn AC during set up days and when the crowd leaves after a show day the temps plummet . 58 degrees for 10 hours come on theres no problem there. Do you shiop corals and live stock on climate controled cargo holds?
Old 09/13/2004, 10:01 PM

Obviously my computer isn't working, since no one is hearing me.

Old 09/13/2004, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

There were connecting portals that were standing by
Old 09/13/2004, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Also ther were 20 extra floor panels available and if anyone questioned the integrity of the flooring (as it was also a major concer of mine) it would have been addressed at that instant.
Old 09/13/2004, 10:06 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by mantishunter
58 degrees for 10 hours come on theres no problem there. Do you shiop corals and live stock on climate controled cargo holds?
Ron, considering my business is in the shipping of livestock, it is clear to me that your ignorance makes it clear that you did not and do not have the qualifications to properly organize events like this.

Livestock are shipped in insulated boxes with heat packs and ice packs as needed. This is a big difference than an open top tank sitting outside for 10 hours at 58 degrees.

Again, had the vendors been informed ahead of time that they were going to be put outside, they could have prepared better before coming or not come at all. Ahh, not come at all.. maybe this is what you feared by not informing them ahead of time.

- Uncle JT
Old 09/13/2004, 10:06 PM
Moved On

I think it's working BrianD. Maybe just relax and let this one flow? You already stated in your first post on this thread about the consequences of getting out of line.
Old 09/13/2004, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

I also don't think the hotel was too small. most Sessions were full. I don't know of anyone that really wanted to get into one that couldn't. I saw myself a few people leave a room saying it was too crowded, but tyhere were 5 seats left at that very moment. If you max your facility as we did it speaks to efficiency. We didn't over or under plan.
Old 09/13/2004, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to prompt you Ron but just trying to put this issue to rest . . .

Other than the guy who didnt put heaters in his tanks did anyone to your knowledge lose anything as a result of being in tents?
when his shorts are too tight in the seat."
Old 09/13/2004, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

One particular vendor 2 booths down from me did question the integrity of the floor many times. Why was he not satisfied with the extra floor panels? He never even set up his largest tank due to fear.
Old 09/13/2004, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Vendors were givin the information and as I said some did not read it. Bottom line was there was no problem with temps except for that one vendor and he takes responsibility for his own Quote "dumb *** mistake" He's also one of my closest friends. And I don't know how often you receive shipments, but in my amature limited experience The heat packs are always exahsted by the time I receive shipment often at probably 58 degrees
Old 09/13/2004, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

That vendor did not set up their tank due to their rental van breaking down, switching to a smaller van and having to keanve 120 gallons of water behind which is why thay showed up very late requesting that they be able to set up through the night. No floor issue. If I'm wrong about that its because thtas whtat it say in their email to me.
Old 09/13/2004, 10:14 PM
Moderator Clone

Even keel folks, even keel....

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 09/13/2004, 10:15 PM

F4, your comments have been removed. There was no question asked. Please follow the guidelines we have established.

Old 09/13/2004, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

boat questions? banquet questions?
Old 09/13/2004, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

That is a direct quote posted on the BRS site on 9-10-04 by said vendor. Whether or not you personally read it, nearly everyone else did, and I heard him talking about it many many times. I guess a hotel employee did offer another sheet of plywood, he just didn't feel it was a satisfactory solution. My apologies for saying no plywood was offered.

Quote:
Also, many have you have seen the empty tank and tons of extra stuff we have sitting outfront of our booth...unfinished. Heading out of Maryland later than expected, we were late on arrival, but the reasons were totally out of our control...but we trekked on! We had originally planned on display 3 aquariums loaded with corals, frags, rock, etc. including a 120 gallon, and two 60 gallon proptanks. However, we have another small issue in that being the side of the tent that we are on, does not even have a concrete slab for a floor. Many joked the floor bounced when you walked on it, but that is because there are only 2x12s and sheets of plywood placed a floor! All of us know about "shoring up tanks" and making them level prior to filling. I am not willing to be responsible for a 120 gallon aquarium falling on any of the attendees or other vendors, so we decided with much regret not to fill the tank (which is fairly large) during the show. One of the hotel employees jokingly asked..."would you like us to put more plywood under the carpet for extra support?" Still trying to figure out how plywood is going to support 900+ lbs. per code.
Old 09/13/2004, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Ron, in your opion what did you do your that you would change if you had the chance. I see alot of people getting turned of to macna events because of this and most are calling it all your fault. How do you reply to that?
Erik
Old 09/13/2004, 10:19 PM

Ron, I left a tote bag at the New England Aquarium. Do they have a lost and found? It has the RC logo on it

Old 09/13/2004, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

first of all hind sight is 20/20. it is easy to pick apart minor flaws. putting on an event like this is not easy and not everything can be forseen. I think what is in question is wether or not when problems occured they were handled. How was the site determined...was it voted on by the club? In other threads their were several members that said the club was not involved in decision making and/or problem solving. What i am concerned about (following other threads) was how major players in the industry were handled and wether or not accepting gifts from vendors is kosher with macna and boston reefer society's bylaws.
Again, I can only go from other threads but when a concern was brought up it was challenged by a few members.
Old 09/13/2004, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

That was the same vendor that posted there were hurricane force winds ripping throuth the tents that were about to fall down.