Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

CJ standpipes

Any one used these:
http://www.nautilusreef.com/html/cjstandpipes.html

I can never keep my Durso balanced. With mine, every now and then the water level round the pipe rises, and its only the fact that the water goes over the top of the pipe and closes my airhole, that stops a flood... as the airhole covers,it stops it rising higher.

So I thought I'd get one prefabbed and wondered if there is any danger of an overflow with these?

-Adrian
Old 12/21/2007, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Well thanks to Charles I drooled over this whole thread. Looks like this guy used them and swears by them.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 12/21/2007, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

I have a CJ standpipe on one of my tanks and it is great. I don't know about flooding potential...I have not had a flood thus far with either my Durso or my CJ standpipe. I have found that both my CJ and my Durso water levels are a little unstable....I have a crappy hole in the Durso and it gets clogged or I make it to big and the water gets higher. The CJ comes with a valve but it is hard for me to find just the right spot. If I turn it just slightly to get the water level a bit lower in the overflow it goes to low, if I bring it the other way just slightly it is a bit to full and I get a little buildup on my surface. It is a bit frustrating but I figure it is my issue more than the standpipe issue. For now it is a bit higher than I like but no buildup on the surface so I am at a happy medium.
Old 12/21/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Looks like a fancy shmancy Stockman Standpipe to me, inexplicably made of more expensive ABS parts. You can DIY one much cheaper, with the same functionality and volume.

FWIW, I much prefer adding a gate valve to my overflow drain so it doesn't entrain air and then adding a secondary drain.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Wandell
Looks like a fancy shmancy Stockman Standpipe to me, inexplicably made of more expensive ABS parts. You can DIY one much cheaper, with the same functionality and volume.

FWIW, I much prefer adding a gate valve to my overflow drain so it doesn't entrain air and then adding a secondary drain.
Matt's right on, I've built them for smaller overflow boxes when I cant fit a Durso (they pretty much rely on the same principle). The gate valve method I have on my personal tank, it's definitely the quietest/most reliable. Unfortunately, most tanks are not setup to use that method.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

oops. never mind
Old 12/21/2007, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

I've built a few Stockman stand pipes and never had any problems. They work best with a "straw" to make the vortex in the water column. Once set I have never needed to adjust them. Wisper quiet and ~$3-$5 at Orchard (better PVC selection than HD).
Old 12/21/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
oops. never mind
Come on Gresh, spill it! Even your "oops" are intriguing.
Old 12/22/2007, 02:33 AM
Registered Member

I have the CJ's, and they are dead quiet. I agree with those who say it can easily be a DIY.
Old 12/22/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

I diy-ed my Durso; its a tight fit in this little less than 5 x 5 Overflow. Certainly no room for a second drain... I think I saw your set up in thread on another board Matt.

I'll check out your link and have a go at the stockman.

-Adrian
Old 12/23/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stubbsz
I diy-ed my Durso; its a tight fit in this little less than 5 x 5 Overflow. Certainly no room for a second drain... I think I saw your set up in thread on another board Matt.

I'll check out your link and have a go at the stockman.

-Adrian
Could you go through the back of the tank?
Old 12/23/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

I set my tank up many, many years ago, a little too close to the wall but I guess I could. Not sure I have the guts to go *through* any part of my tank though.