Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Help getting new SLR

Ok...So I recently purchased the Sealife DC600 to find it is not a very good above land camera (which I should have guessed). Well I would really like to invest in a SLR. I am on a kinda low budget and would like to stay under 400-500 bucks. I was looking at the Canon EOS 40D but it is kinda a lot to spend. I like the Live View option and a lens does not nessissarily (sorry about sp im not very good at that ) have to come with it. I could ask for one for a holiday or what not (you gotta love holidays). Any suggestions? Thank You.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

If you'd like to save a few bucks, find a clearance on one of the older models. Typically, when a new model comes out, Canon and Nikon seriously rebate the older models. You can still find a Rebel XT in most places, even though the XTi is out. It's also in your posted price range. The same goes for the 30D, since the 40D is out. However, neither of these has the Live View option. Once you get a "real" camera, I don't think this will be too big a deal anyway. I can't even imagine using the LCD for photography, myself.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

This one is in his price range. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/sitem/sku=471716&is=REG
Old 01/01/2008, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

The lowest price I've seen on the Canon 40D is $1119 at B&H and that is just for the body. To add a flash and a couple of lenses on top that is going to be 2-3X of the body. It's a great price for the camera.

If your budget is 500-600 then take a look at the Olympus Evolt E-510 DSLR w/ 14-42mm & 40-150mm at Fry's B&M $548+tax after $200 in store savings and this was posted on fatwallet hot deal forum December 22nd. The reviews are pretty good on this kit set

Other options in this range is Nikon D50 and the newer D40 or the Canon XTI. I don't have any experience with Pentax but have heard you can buy older slr lens cheap.

Good luck with your decision and have fun clicking away with your new camera.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

The Nikon D40 is a decent camera but 6.1mp is a little low to upgrade to today at any price imho. Although you would still have all the dlsr advantages.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

If money is an issue then buy a D40 with one lens. Later buy another lens, then next year give the D40 with the original lens away to a relative and buy a new camera. You would already have the good lens. You just have to decide which manufacturer you want to get in bed with. 6.1MP is fine for most pictures you will ever take. Now if your going to shoot for a billboard then that is another story...
Old 01/02/2008, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

6MP will do anything you need it to do. I wouldn't even hesitate to purchase "only" 6MP. You'd have no issue blowing those photos up to 11x14". Also, let's face it, how many shots seriously make it beyond the computer screen and emails, anyway?
Old 01/02/2008, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

B&H has the Pentax K100D 6.1mp w 18-55 lens for $499 plus they have a $100 mail in rebate.

Final Cost $399

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
Old 01/03/2008, 03:27 AM
Moved On

Cant beat the price on that NIKON D40... though I do love my canon rebel xti lol.