Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

temp safe range for SPS ???... is chiller necessary?

we are upgrading our components in our system
to accomodate SPS corals...

dont run a chiller in summer and we live in desert

my 210gal system
temp varies in hottest mths of summer 78-84... w/out running a chiller and using multiple fans...

is this a 'safe' range for SPS

and if not what is recom for optimal color/growth?

regards

Last edited by WarrenAmy&Maddy; 12/09/2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

That is a large amount of fluctuation and 84º is stressful on not only SPS but any reef inhabitants. Closer to 80º (steadily) is the optimum range.

We had an experience this year where one of our thermometers died and was giving us false low readings. We now have multiple thermometers and have rigged up a system to automatically turn on fans over our sump as well as on the back of our canopy to cool off the tank on hot days. We run metal halides and don't have a chiller; our fans are doing the trick.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:28 PM
Soul of a Sailor

There is nothing wrong with your temp range, either the fluctuation or maximum. Both very closely mimic the temps on a natural reef and leave room for error.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

A local reefer with a 125g had problems with his sps tank corals turning brown. His temperature was getting that high. After installing a chiller the corals are returning to their normal colors.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:31 PM
Team RC Member

Run two thermometers to be sure you accurately know your range: they're notoriously inaccurate, as a class of instruments, as bad as swing arm hydrometers.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

My temp goes from 78-83 in a 24hr period. I have no problem with my SPS. I hear that the reason that corals turn brown is because of the wrong lighting type, I have never heard of them turning brown because of temp. I mean someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12/09/2007, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

I think as long as the corals are used to the swings they will be fine. My tank went from 78-84 for weeks over the summer with no problems. If it starts to get over 85, then you'll definately have to do something about it.
Old 12/09/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the info!

primarily house lps corals for last year
they would show signs of stress when temp reached 84 (and espec when went over that 85-86)...

interestingly enough
once i got the phosphate problem fixed w/ the addition of a reactor... even when the temps went over 84-86degrees the corals DID NOT show signs of stress... valuable lesson to me in terms of 'water quality'

does anyone think SPS would be the same way???
that is will SPS stress/die over 84'... as sometimes in the summer (for a variety of reasons) the temp might get up to 86'... will this harm SPS or will they survive (this is not the 'norm' temp high but it does occur on occasion)... or assuming the water quality is good then perhaps able to withstand the temp fluctuation?

and good advice!
re using 2 thermometers - do need to get another one installed!

regards
Old 12/09/2007, 06:22 PM
Friend to Vallonia

I live in a desert, too. We did get a chiller for our tank at the beginning of summer. To be honest, spending $700 on a chiller was better than risking thousands of dollars worth of setup. I figured if our a/c went out for some reason, we'd be in a big mess. With the chiller, the tank stays a constant 79F.

Our FW tanks do go up to 86 easily in the summer. We set our thermostat to about 80 while we're at work, and that's what the tanks go up to. I can't afford to run the whole house at 76 for the whole summer, and while the chiller does use electricity, it's cheaper than the whole house a/c.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

hi

i dont mean to hijack this thread but i just have one quick question

im using MH 150W and before my lights are on my temp is 79.5 or so and after i turned on my lights for a few hrs the temp is 81.2

is that jump alittle to high?

Thanks
Old 12/09/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotus99
I live in a desert, too. We did get a chiller for our tank at the beginning of summer. To be honest, spending $700 on a chiller was better than risking thousands of dollars worth of setup. I figured if our a/c went out for some reason, we'd be in a big mess. With the chiller, the tank stays a constant 79F.

Our FW tanks do go up to 86 easily in the summer. We set our thermostat to about 80 while we're at work, and that's what the tanks go up to. I can't afford to run the whole house at 76 for the whole summer, and while the chiller does use electricity, it's cheaper than the whole house a/c.

you make some good points!

mainly re a/c going out -
thats not one have had to deal w/ nor thought about before! - but is a definite possibility at any time...

funny - now i can see the need to justify buying one

bec we always controlled the temps w/ fans
and atleast kept the temp within normal limits i never felt would need to get a chiller... but good point that its not worth losing all investment in time and money if say the a/c goes out - then out everything!...

we keep our house at 80' also
which puts our tank at around 84' on the hottest days (or so it measures out on the thermometer atleast)... it sits on the west wall so it gets the hottest sun in the mid-late afternoon
Old 12/09/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orbit
hi

i dont mean to hijack this thread but i just have one quick question

im using MH 150W and before my lights are on my temp is 79.5 or so and after i turned on my lights for a few hrs the temp is 81.2

is that jump alittle to high?

Thanks

your not hijacking anything
(all about discussion here)

but i cant give you the most educated answer someone else will have to chime in if they know!

if the temp goes up that high in only a few hours then...

what happens over the course of the day???
like say after 8-10 hours of lites on - does the temp continue to rise?

and high high off the top of the water are your lites?
do you have fans running to disperse the heat that the lites create?

just some things to think about