Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

battle with pest algae

I've been calling it bryopsis but am not sure that is the proper term for this nasty, coarse, hairy algae. It came in on some LR from an existing tank. The worst pieces I sterilized first but as you can see on this pic, I have some corals attached.

Toothbrushes don't work, tweezers don't work… It is spreading and I am upset.

This is a 75 gallon, set up in Jan of this year from 3 existing tanks. 2 250w MH, ASM G3 skimmer, Phosban Reactor, 15 gal. water changes every 2 weeks. We test the water weekly, and have no ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or phosphates. We get a little green hair algae now and then but nothing major.

This stuff is taking over and is dangerously close to my corals. Help please!

Old 08/15/2007, 12:57 AM
T5 Reefer

Definitely not bryopsis... here's a pic of that stuff.

I think there have been some people fighting something called red hair algae. I have some spots of something called "cotton candy algae" which is red but not coarse.

Hope you can get it under control. I have been battling some of the green hair algae myself and I know it can be frustrating.

HTH
-- Kevin
Old 08/15/2007, 01:43 PM
Zen Reefer

It's soft right?? Its a type of red hair algae and other than finding the cause of nutrients and fixing that the best defense is doing water changes, harvesting the alage out, running carbon or phosban in a active filter system (hot magnum) will also help

ORCA Founder
Old 08/15/2007, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

You can also try to lower your photoperiod a bit. Some folks on here have had good luck with the 3-day darkness period, but I have not personally tried it.
Old 08/15/2007, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

cut the lights completely for 2 days.
Old 08/15/2007, 03:12 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Red Turf Algae. It's the most resilient algae I've ever had to displeasure of dealing with. It puts Bryopsis, Caulerpa, Valonia, and just about anything else under the sun to shame. But, even the toughest things have a weak spot. In the case of Red Turf Algae, it's Mexican Turbo Snails. These eat it up like it's nothing. You can read a little more about Sandra Shoup's account with it here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/nftt/index.php
Old 08/15/2007, 06:24 PM
clams are your friends.

yeah, I found turbo snails love red algae. I had a major problem with the red cotton when I first set up my 90. 3 Turbos ate every last speck in less than a week. I was astounded.