Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/02/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Right now it looks like the iodine dip didn't work. There was some dead tissue I had to blow off on both corals, but the Lobo had a bunch of it. Oddly, dendros are opening more than they ever have when the lights are on.
Old 08/02/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

A couple of cites for clarification. RE; brown jelly or protozoan infections see Borneman,"Aquarium Corals",pge 381.Damaged tissue from trauma or chemsistry can lead to an infection typically bacterial, the opportunistic protozoans(brown jelly) eat the tissue and contribute to further necrosis and can spread rapidly.
Fresh water dips,see Borneman pg389. 1to 3 minutes should be effective against brown jelly.Personally I have done both the iodide dip and the fw dip . I am more apprehensive about the fw dip paricularly with sps but I have used it with zoanthus,blastomossa and a few others without ill effect. I have not tried it on a euphylia . I think the iodide dip is less harmful to the coral and can have good effect against pathogens,since it is routinely used by many as a preplacement prophylactic treatment.If recision continues or if a judgement is made to pursue more agressive treatment the fw dip can be used as well as the iodide dip.
Lugols dips,see Borneman pg. 389-5to 10 drops per quart of circulating sea water for 10to20minutes. Length of the dip and concentration can be altered depending on the tolerance of the coral.
I have never used Oceanic salt but I have heard of others who have experienced difficulty with lps and some with sps while using this product. Could be coincidence. I have used corlaife salt for years without a problem .
I know you must be very frustrated and somewhat sad at this point but if you are persistent it will get better although you may very well loose more specimens before it's over.
Good Luck,
Tom
Old 08/02/2007, 03:14 PM
Slowly growing gills.

wow, I was going way short on the dips. Thanks for the clarification.

Enchida, do you have a QT? if so, I would make sure the affected corals are in it at this point. Brown jelly can spread and its easier to keep your sick corals together and just treat them all at once than to risk losing your display tank.

Tmz, I am thinking maybe enchida could try dosing erythromyacin into a QT tank with his sick corals. Do you think this would be a good idea?
At this point, I am trying to think 'outside the box'.
Maybe a half recommended dose for fish illnesses. (I know it works great against cyano).
Freshwater dips or maintaining high levels of iodine in the QT might get rid of the protozoans, and the erythromyacin could work to kill any bacteria eating the flesh of the coral.
Old 08/02/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

I don't know alot about antibiotics and have never tried them.Lugols or another iodide dip should get the syrface bacteria but I don't know how to get at embbeded stuff. A uv sterlizer wouldn't hurt either but that would only kill bacteria in the waTER.
Old 08/02/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

It looks like the acan might actually make it. The 2 polyps on it are visible and looking pretty good. The lobo will probably die. I tried another ricordia and it seems like it might be starting to die too.

Also, I think I have black bugs on my SPS :'(. Do these affect LPS too?
Old 08/02/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

I've heard of red bugs on acros,there are a number of good threads on the sps forum. Don't really know what you have in there. Are they fllatworms? More crustacean like? Nudibrancs? Could they be harmless copepods or amphipods,I hope?
Old 08/02/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

No, they are little black spots on my Poccillipora, that has been slowly receding since I bought it. Also to answer the question from before; I don't have a QT. I did kill a few pods when I dipped in iodine.
Old 08/02/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Sorry don"t know about the black spots. you may find something on the sps forum. By the way i didn't ask about a qt. The pocillapora might benefit from a lugols dip. I wouldn't try a fw dip on it since it's an sps and many of them don't tolerate it.
Old 08/03/2007, 01:22 AM
Slowly growing gills.

Sorry man, I am still just getting into the SPS. My tanks are all less than a year old so I dont see any reason to start loading them into it when the odds say they wouldnt do well. I might tag along to find out the deal with the black spots though. Never heard of that myself.

From what I have read, many of the bugs found on SPS are carnivorous but their primay diet isnt corals. Even redbugs are reported to prefer other food. monitor the dots and see if they move or have little worms poke out of them at night. Worms would be bad from what I have read.

Again, a QT would be a good idea for this sort of situation.
Old 08/04/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Thank you. I bought a 50 gallon bag of instant ocean and I am going to do a 25% water change tomorrow. I think I will lose the lobo and possibly the leptastrea but the acans should live. I bought more rics and despite my first thought of the little one recessing they seem to be doing good. Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 08/20/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Any updates on this?