Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/02/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Black bugs

Hello I seem to be having a lot of problems with my tank lately. My Poccillipora seems to have black bugs on it. There are a lot of little black specks on the bottom of the coral and the skeleton is fully visible at the bottom. I think it might be affecting my orange montipora as well. My encrusting monti doesn't show any signs yet but I'm sure it will. I thought it was dead but it came back with a red rim. Please help me with what I am to do. Here's a picture of my poccillipora. Sorry it's not great and the camera I have can't do very close macro shots so you can't see the specks. The coral is brown from when I had a phosphate issue.

(You can see one little speck if you look close toward the middle of the dead part.)
Old 08/03/2007, 05:24 AM
Registered Member

dont know why you are having some tissue recession, but if it helps my pocci looks like that somtimes when the polyps retract. HTH. you should try to find the root cause of the recession before you loose the whole thing.

-dukes
Old 08/03/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

looks like low current or high nutrients (RTN)
Old 08/03/2007, 11:28 AM
g l a s s b o x

looks to me like RTN with closed polyps...check your params.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 08/04/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Parameters are fine. Turned brown when phosphates were up but they are under control now. If it is tissue necrosis it is definitely the slow kind.
Old 08/04/2007, 09:44 PM
Humble Reefkeeper

There is a form of black bugs that infect Montipora, but I don't think they mess with Pocillipora. There is also a form of a black critter....kind of an elongated worm almost, that I've seen on the white skeleton of corals before...but I really don't think that this form of black bug causes the damage, it just comes around after the damage is done. I'd agree with others, try to find the root of the cause.
Old 08/05/2007, 12:16 AM
Premium Member

I can't tell from the pic but it doesn't look like a real big piece, why not break it off and give it a dip, see what falls off the coral.
Old 08/05/2007, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Freshwater dip? How long?
Old 08/05/2007, 12:50 AM
King of the white corals

no NOT freshwater dip. Freshwater dipping sps is a bad idea, especially on a already unhealthy coral, it would do it in for sure. Unless you just wanted to sacrifice it to see what comes off.

Tropic marine pro coral cure, or other iodine type treatment.

I would probably frag what i could off at this point, but like already said.......you need to find out the cause
Old 08/05/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Iodine dip same as what I was told for LPS? 1 qt of water with 15 drops of Lugol's? It's already a frag.