Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 11:24 PM
Got Salt?

DIY Wave Maker Cheaper than buying?

Can a DIY wave maker be built cheaper than you can buy them?
I was looking at building my own 6 channel from:

(1) BS1 Chip $30
(6) Solid State Relays $9 each or $54 for the project
(6) Transistors to control the relays $1 each or $6 FTP
(6) Pull down resistors cheap $0
(3) Plugs $3 each or $9 FTP
(1) 5VDC Power Supply $10
(1) Enclosure to put it all in $10

So all in all it's like 30+54+6+9+10+10 = $119
And that's assuming my time is FREE

Anyone know a way to make them cheaper?
I know I could ditch the BS chip in favor of a Microprocessor but then I'd have to buy the programing software and hardware so...

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 01/03/2008, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

with a 555 timer and the right combination of resistors and capacitors you could drive the relays for a lot less than the BS1 at $30. I will say however, that the BS1 will be easier to tweak if you want to get everything going on a set schedule. You'd need a separate 555 for each relay.

keep me posted on the status or the project.... I have a couple BS2's laying around i might put to work
Old 01/03/2008, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

I know this will complicate things, but if we are dreaming big here, then lets think about being able to idle down the ph's instead of them cutting off. That would take care of the problem with these mj mods. Idle down thru the cycle and idle back up.
What say you????
Old 01/03/2008, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

sorry alittle new here but what is the point of a wavemaker besides looking cool and posting the video on youtube?
Old 01/03/2008, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marinoob
sorry alittle new here but what is the point of a wavemaker besides looking cool and posting the video on youtube?
I'm not sure anymore myself...I have a red sea wavemaser pro that I had running 2 mj 600's 1 mj 1200 and a AC50. I just did an MJ mod and went with the 3 MJ's then down to the 2 600's and now I'm down to 1 600 without the wavemaker...go figure
Old 01/04/2008, 12:17 AM
Got Salt?

Wavemakers provide random flow in a tank by turning on and off PHs to create flow in the tank at random..

In order to idle down a PH it's VERY compicated and has been discussed at much length here.. I was just looking to turn on and off circuts for random flow..

Yeah I know I could use 555's but I don't like them much and they aren't very flexible once built to a certain spec..
That's why I like PICs or Stamps..

hmm well I guess I could go with a regular relay instead of solid state.. hmmmm

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 01/04/2008, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

I'm not much of an electrical engineer so could you explain a little why its so complicated to control the rpm's???? I thought about taking a variable speed controller connecting it to a circuit board with a couple relays and thats it!?! I understand thats its not that easy but thats what I was thinking. Would be noce though!!!!
Old 01/04/2008, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

A DIY wave controller is very simple to make, and could be easily done with the parts you listed.

I personally think if you are going to invest the time and money to DIY a controller for powerheads that you should do a variable frequency drive to ramp them up and down without needing to start and stop them.

It would obviously be a lot more thinking to put it together, but I don't see the parts costing much more, and the end product would be so much cooler.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

That was what I was thinking. Could you go more into details how you would go around making the ciricut to cause ramping up and down the ph's??? Also I have tried to use a variable fan control on mj ph's but they would cut off as soon as you started idleing down.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:40 PM
Can't be listed on **

Normal powerheads can not have the speed changed without changing the frequency of the power. If you drop the voltage you risk damaging the powerheads. With DC motors you can very the voltage to very the speed, but not with our AC powerheads.

To change the speed you will need a variable frequency drive just as liveforphysics stated.

Kim
Old 01/04/2008, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

I was looking for something like this. I'm getting a couple Koralias and I heard that they get damaged if you frequently turn them on and off. You need to use a controller that varies their speed without turning them on and off constantly.

I was looking for some controllers with this option but they are all pricey. I really like the features of the ReefKeeper 2 but it didn't have this feature either. It had alot of cool things like ... Lights can now be programmed to turn off when the temperature exceeds a set value, Softstart, Standby/ feed mode, Fan/Chiller control, Metal halide “sure-on”, etc... Check out he link above.

I would help you guys but I don't know enough about electronics to make something as difficult as this but I would help out as much as I can.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

The seio controller is a ready made single phase VFD that does control the speed of frequency syncronous motors (like 99% of powerheads).

It can reduce speed only down to 50%. Why only down to 50%? Because single phase motors with minimal rotor mass in a high drag enviroment are not going to be capable of dropping below 50% frequency and still turn.

Buying one of these is likely your minimal cost and time solution.

They say only for seio powerheads, but you can easily run 4 Koralia 4 PH's or MJ mods on each channel with no issues. They only say to use seio's PH's only to avoid people plugging in pumps with higher current demands and releaseing the magic smoke.

Funny that you mention the reefkeeper2. I use the "nightmode" setting to powerdown the timer on my VFD controlled 3-phase barracuda closed loop pump to end my wave motion and have more calm water at night, much like a natural ocean. In my calm night mode the tank still has over 10,000gph, but the fish can generally find a place to tuck in and rest without being blown around.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...product=TA3771

Here is a link to the device I was talking about above. I forgot to include it.