Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/04/2007, 10:16 AM
Reef Cowboy

Reef danger?

When stocking my reef are there any specific organisms I need to be aware of in terms of toxicity or other dangers to humans? I'm aware of jellyfish, lion fish (right?), and thumb splitting shrimp. What other danger lurks? It's a long-shot, but I need to know because I have children. They (the children) are generally well behaved and intelligent, but I can't be there every second, nor can I vouch for their friends.

THANKS!!!
Old 03/04/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

zoo's can be very toxic when fragging. also the bactreia in the water if you put an open cut in the tank can be harmfull
Old 03/04/2007, 10:28 AM
Team RC Member

Just tell them germs from all over the world live in that water and they must never, ever touch it or they will come down with something that will turn them purple. It's close to true.

There are numerous bacteria that make it adviseable if you even have a hangnail, to use gloves.

Some people are very allergic to the stings of mushrooms, lps corals, etc.

There are bristleworms that lodge bristles in your fingers for a couple of days, and they hurt a lot. [You need the worms.]

There are spicules on the rocks that will jab your fingers and open up routes for the bacteria.

Just tell them that's parental property: the basic law of "Mine!" That's within kid logic, when nothing else avails.

And if you turn out to need some really gruesome pictures of flesh-devouring bacteria and bumps from stings, and tissue necrosis from, say, rabbitfish spines, I'm sure the forum can come up with them in living color.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 03/04/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

You may also want to stress to them that you will buy what goes in the tank. And that only you can put things in the tank. No need for barbie to float into your powerhead. They may be too young to bring home an anemone like my daughter but, who'da thunk it?

Best of luck!
Old 03/04/2007, 10:57 AM
Moved On

I would just worry bout the zoos. Your body is good at fighting/gobbling most bacteria. Most saltwater bacteria fall outta the air and are in lakes,ponds, oceans, and swimming pools.
Old 03/04/2007, 11:00 AM
Team RC Member

Note: if you have small children, the greater danger is to the fish and corals.
Stock: carbon. Polyfilter sheets. Enough salt to do a 40% water change. Even consider having a cannister filter in standby with a 1 micron filter and a good pump, to pull out cheerios. And latching an eggcrate tank cover into place is not a bad idea, so nothing large can go into the tank.

Precautions: put all medications, chemicals AND fishfood under lock, and put the key on your key ring. Some are not good to drink.
And tell them to tell you immediately if anyone ever so much as touches your tank---fink-ism definitely operates between siblings.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 03/04/2007, 11:08 AM
Reef Cowboy

Really good stuff. Thanks. Keep it coming...
Old 03/04/2007, 12:33 PM
Have grits... will travel

Spray them in the face with a squirt gun if they get too close... it works on my cats.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

AMERICAN by birth... SOUTHERN by the Grace Of God!
Old 03/04/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

just show them a bunch of pictures of all the worms and pods that could be in there..haha
Old 03/04/2007, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

Apart from a brief episode of bringing me macroalgae from my sump there have been few problems with my kids and the tank.

Oh and I did catch one of them with a net trying to fish for damels! It is other people's kids you need to worry about!

I found coins in a tank after a visit once, so second the egg crate idea!
Old 03/04/2007, 12:56 PM
Bogus Information Expert

A good list and anemones should be added. So popular with children because of Finding Nemo some can produce painful stings or rashes. Some Urchins can also sting. Cephalopods, such at the Blue Ring Octopus, can be very toxic or fatal.

Also, while not a biohazard, is electricity. All reefers should have a GFCI installed on a tank. It is especially true when you have younglings about that may knock the lights into the tank.

Tom
Old 03/04/2007, 07:04 PM
Reef Cowboy

I have a secure canopy with a DIY trick latch the kids likely won't figure out. My wife's sister is an electrician, so I'll try to get the GFCI by her. Again -- Thanks. All good stuff.