Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/12/2007, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

You could always build a workbench to fit the vise....

Better yet build the workbench to hold a vise to hold the other vise you really needed to hold your project in the first place.

And you passed up the Powermatic shame on you such nise saws they are. You would have fell in love. Never met one I didnt like.

Mike
Old 01/12/2007, 02:46 AM
In over my head!

These are not workbenches, these are work shops!
Old 01/12/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

we tend to get carried away in all of the workshop glory.... but atleast there was workbenches involved haha
Old 01/12/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

My workshop is a bar, but i have still managed to build a few things out of it....

Old 01/12/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

That looks more like a man room.
Old 01/12/2007, 02:53 PM
Got frags?

Quote:
Originally posted by cannarella
That looks more like a man room.
I have to agree with that! Where's the saw and router at?? You keep those under the bar?
Old 01/12/2007, 02:55 PM
Premium Member

ack! who pucked the 80's into your garage!

One problem I have... you have an Indy trucks emblem and it is withitn a 1/4 mile of a VW emblem. Yup.. I still skate a dogtown "malba" with indy 169's and Rat Bones. Never too old...
Old 01/12/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
Yup.. I still skate a dogtown "malba" with indy 169's and Rat Bones. Never too old...
was that in Spanish cause i didnt understand a word of it haha
Old 01/12/2007, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Dogtown = old school skateboard company.
Malba = Micky Alba, old school Dogtown rider.
Rat Bones = old school skateboard wheels made by Powell Peralta
Indy = The Independent Truck Company
Trucks = the things that hold the skateboard wheels, train wheels, whatever.
Indy 169's = 169 mm wide old school trucks.
BeanAnimal = Be An Animal with the words "be" and "an" too close together on a DIY shirt.

Dude at the ramp: "Hey man what the hell is a bean animal?"
me: "no man, it is BE AN ANIMAL, you know..."
Other dude at ramp: "Looks like Bean Animal to me man"
me: "no man, it is BE AN ANIMAL!"
Hot chic at ramp: "looks like bean animal to me too, and you kind look like a bean animal!"
me: "thats cool with me... bean animal it is!, wanna go out?"
Hot chic at ramp: "ohhh I looove bean animals, sure"

There you have it.... 20 years later I still have the name and still own a pile of skateboards. The skater chic is long gone. But I do have a 3' x 3' "bones" banner and other assorted stuff that the non skater chic will not let me put on any wall in this house. Seeing my garage is not built yet... nobody has had the chance throwup the 80's in my man room... er "crib".

Bean

Last edited by BeanAnimal; 01/12/2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01/12/2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Didnt VW buses and skaters go hand in hand in the day or is that just the surfer crowd????

aaahhh the 80's (smack) well back to reality. had a flashback!!
Old 01/12/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
BeanAnimal = Be An Animal with the words "be" and "an" too close together on a DIY shirt.

Bean
Ahh HAA.... Bean's very first DIY project
Old 01/12/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 30mini
I have to agree with that! Where's the saw and router at?? You keep those under the bar?
that is all actually behind the bar, i have built storage shelves all underneath it. But ive stil managed to build a few things out of the lounge. But in the next house there is going to be a 4 car garage, 2 for my workshop, and two for parking.

and the VW sign is the wife's, she wants an ole bug turned into a dune buggy.. but she can't make up her mind in between the bug and a 55 chevy cameo. Myself, i want the bug, cause i got a set of twin turbos layin round that would look mighty fine in the trunk of an ole beetle....

I still skate every now and then, im gettin to where i just like to ride down the road, no more tricks for me, and i skate a GIRL board with indy's, just don't have the time to get down with it anymore. And being in housotn there isnt too much to skate around here.
Old 01/12/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Need to send you my how to turbo VW's book WT. My vw's are long gone..something about having two cars that weigh 6 tons and displace more CI's than some nano tanks . I'd go for a 69-72 beetle for the dune buggy.

Whats that motor on the bar hooked to? A monster ice crusher?
Old 01/12/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

Good thread!!! Needs more pictures though. I have plans to build a "homeowners" bench soon myself....since I don't currently have the space or money for my dream woodworker's bench (someday I will)...currently my plans for my homeowners bench is for it to be made out of either two or possibly 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood glued together. Probably 3 feet by 7 feet and about 36" tall. 2x4's around the top edge of the stand....four legs made from 4 x 4 pine with 2 x 6s butt jointed in a few inches above the floor for support. I haven't yet decided if I want to splurge on that top sheet of plywood and spend a little extra for a piece of maple plywood (about $45 compared to $28 for the other kind at Lowes). I was going to get started on it shortly, but I think I am going to try to incorporate a decent vise on the front of it and I probably need to hold off on the build until I know for sure what the design is going to be to work with the vise. This is my winter project....after I upgrade the plumbing in my house from galvanized iron to copper....ugh....too many projects.
Old 01/12/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by piscivorous
after I upgrade the plumbing in my house from galvanized iron to copper....ugh....too many projects.
Use Pex instead of copper...with the money you save you'll have plenty to build a bench.
Old 01/12/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

I used to have a link for a workbench that was made all with southern yellow pine and was rock solid. I will try and find it and post a link.
Old 01/12/2007, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

I boult a friend a yellow pine bench. 2x4 sandwiched on their long sides and bound with allthread and glue. The surface was planed and sealed. Nice sturdy bench with a forever renewable top.... just lightly plane it and reseal.

I prefer masonite as a worktop because nothing sticks to it easily and I can replace it. I use contact cement to glue it down.

Bean
Old 01/12/2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

OK I remember that there was an article in Pop WW mag. The bench I am thinking of was designed by Bob Key here in Atlanta. I was as the Highland Hardware spring tool show and his son, who was 12 ar the time, built one in one day all with hand tools. No power tools. Watching him go from jack plant to jointer plane to level the top was amazing.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1069

Or just Google Bob Key workbench

Andy
Old 01/12/2007, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

Yup that looks very familiar
Old 01/13/2007, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

$175 bench...but they don't highlight the fact that to get the wood to look that nice to start with you need a $400+ jointer.....details....
Old 01/13/2007, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

But isn't that how we get out tools... No Dear.....I don't want you to spend 1500.00 on that bedroom set I want to make it for you.. Now I just need to get a few tools and will draw up some plans and I will get started. First thing after the saw is a workbench to build everything on.
Old 01/13/2007, 09:23 AM
Got frags?

That site is great!! Funny thing is... F+W Publications Inc is walking distance from where I live! I still signed up to get the PDF plans online... but I didn't realize that the place down the street had all these plans inside!
Old 01/13/2007, 10:37 PM
Byte mechanic

Heh, I've looked at all the workbench sites (including the $175 and Bob Keys'). The $175 is based on Bob'd design. Sadly, his site is only archived without pictures.

I built a "homeowners" bench from the back of a B&D "home repair" book. It's plenty sturdy. The problem is that there is no overhang for the vises to mount. I will built a "Laminated 2x4" "Bob Key" type bench, probably using the B&D plan for the base (simple 2x4s). The top of the B&D bench is two pieces of plywood (or one 4x8 sheet ripped in half) with "hardboard" as the top. The hardboard (sort of like thin MDF I guess) is nailed on, but easily replaceable if it gets messed up. (It's messed up already cause I spilled some oil on it!).

Oh, and now I own TWO vises that don't fit my workbench. I think subconsciously, I just want to build another bench. My level of skill doesn't justify a laminated maple top bench, so I'll go for the 2x4 Douglas Fir bench. Oh, there is nothing wrong with the plywood top, it's actually amazingly flat and durable, but I think the laminated 2x4 just looks more woodworky (yes, that's a word. OK, maybe not). Plus the lamination part is good practice!

V
Old 01/16/2007, 06:02 PM
Byte mechanic

OK, I finally got pics. Hopefully I am posting the pics properly here...

This is the "Handyman/homeowners" bench I built from the back of a Black & Decker "Home Repair" book.

These are the vises that I bought to mount, but I am too stupid to measure the overhang (or lack thereof) of the bench top. Note also that the top is made of two 3/4" plywood pieces, which the guy at Home Depot cut for me. Note how he didn't account for the SAW KERF when he cut them. And note how I COULD route them flush, but am too lazy to

Here is the messiest shop in the world. Why? Cuz I'm a slob and haven't cleaned up after we shoved a bunch of crap in the shop to clean up the house.

Here is the OTHER SIDE of the shop, with my reclining couches, TV, xbox, etc. It has a bathroom too!

Here is the picture of the outside of the shop taken at night.

OK, yes, yes, I'm a slob. I'll repost "cleaned up shop pics" if that ever happens!

Enjoy! Or at least relish the fact that your own home shops are not as messy as mine!

V
Old 01/16/2007, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

What is in the geen can on the table? Is that a popeye sized can of spinach?