Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/30/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

My salt water tank

I am going to place all of my salt water tank pictures into this thread. I do want to keep the stuff in one place, I am not fan of posting related thing into many topics.

Here are pictures from my 20 liters temporary salt water tank. I did collect these snails from the local coastline, I am having them inside so they get used to the temperature that I will expose them to when the real salt water tank gets ready.

More pictures can be found here when the time comes.

This is a Rough periwinkle. But I do not know what species the other snails is. The Rough periwinkle is a live breeder.

I also have there few Common mussel in there also. But I was unable to get a good pictures of them, I got one big and few smaller onces. I got few other things there also, but I don't remember the names of those species at the moment.
Old 08/02/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Here are few new picture of my salt water tank. I have it almost ready.

This is a blue mussel. It looks like it is doing good.

Few of the snails I plan to keep in my tank.

The tank as it is now. I hope to be able to finish the setup tomorrow.
Old 08/03/2007, 06:43 AM
Wish coral grew faster

Do you plan on filling the tank? Not seeing any water flow either? Just unusual, is your plan too have all locally captured items in the tank?
Old 08/03/2007, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

I am going to fill the tank today and add a decent pump, I didn't have any flow yesterday. But at the moment I do have a little flow with a small pump I have running.
Old 08/03/2007, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

What temperature was the water you pulled this livestock from? What temperature is the tank going to run? If there's a significant difference, I wouldn't expect any of the livestock to survive.
Old 08/03/2007, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwedehase
What temperature was the water you pulled this livestock from? What temperature is the tank going to run? If there's a significant difference, I wouldn't expect any of the livestock to survive.
The outdoor temperature that I got them from fluxes after the what time of the year it is. But the snails can withstand temp from -26C to 27C (or more, depends on much the rock warms up during a sunny day). The blue mussel can withstand up to 29C. I've already had the snails indoor now for few days, so far they are doing good. This is the only live stock that I am going to have from the cost line where I live, the rest is going to be bought from pet stores. The ocean temperature is normally from 0C (-2C during the winter?) to 10C.
Old 08/03/2007, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Wow, that's cold!! But... 0C... should be freezing. Or does that change with salt water? Or is it iceberg territory?
Old 08/03/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

I believe the salt in the saltwater drops its freezing point to below 0C. I remember hearing about this when learning about the Titanic. The people overboard basically froze to death because the water was below zero. Most of those that survived that were in the water had a lot of alky in them, which kept their blood from freezing.
Old 08/03/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow, that's cold!! But... 0C... should be freezing. Or does that change with salt water? Or is it iceberg territory?
Freezing point of salt water is -2C (but it this changes depending on salinity) according to this web page.

My salt water tank is now fully running. Here is a picture of it as it is now. I have 650l/h pump in it.

Old 08/04/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I am going to run the tank on 20 to 26C temperature.
Old 08/04/2007, 03:26 PM
Enjoying Life

Look like you are using local volcanic sand if I am not mistaken???
Old 08/04/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

This is from the local coastline. It is dark like most of Icelandic coastline. It is a really old volcano material, the age is about 3.3 to 8.5 million years.
Old 08/09/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

Here a little update of my first salt water tank.

Few of the snails I have.

So far, everything looks like it is going ok.
Old 08/09/2007, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

You kind of have to be careful on when you pick things up from the ocean. It might be illegal to take things from the ocean in the city you live in. Also those snails could be predatory and kill each other and I agree with jwedehase on temperature for the snails.
Old 08/09/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Where I live, there are no such laws that ban me from taking this from the beach. The snails are herbivore, they eat algae and see weed.
Old 08/10/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walmart
You kind of have to be careful on when you pick things up from the ocean. It might be illegal to take things from the ocean in the city you live in. Also those snails could be predatory and kill each other and I agree with jwedehase on temperature for the snails.
If you checked his location he has Iceland, I am sure they have way different laws then us.
Old 08/10/2007, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Wow different look then most reefs!! cool a more local tank can wait to see how you build the rest out!
Yellow Striped Maroon Clownfish
Yellowtail Damselfish
Spotted Cardinal Fish
Midas Blenny
Abalone (got in by mistake but he can really clean a tank!!)
Old 08/11/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

This is ridiculous. You cannot take living things out of the cold sea and put it into a room temp tank (24-26°C)

I live in SW Iceland (Reykjavik) and I now very well that the sea temp only changes from about 0°C to maybe 10°C. Jonfr lives in the north where temps are even lower.

What you are doing Jonfr is morally wrong. It may be fun for a while but everything will die. To adapt “cold climate animals” to tropical temps takes hundreds of thousands of years.

Annad hvort verdur thu med kaldsjavarbur med kaelingu og oellum theim vandamalum sem thvi fylgir eda hitabeltis (tropical) bur sem er vid ţann herbergi****a. sem vid erum vanir.

Thu getur EKKI sett kaldsjavarlifverur í heitann sjo. Thu getur ekki heldur sett Tropical lifverur í kaldann so.

Which translates to:

You either have to have a Coldwater tank with all the problems of cooling or a ropical tank that is close to our room temp.

You can´t put Arctic liveforms into tropical sea. You can´t put tropical lifeforms into arctic sea..

dc3
Old 08/11/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

I did look up the biological profile of the animals of what I got. Here is for the snails I got. The species that live around Iceland are used to more heat, also there main time of year for activate is during the summer when it is warm. These snails in question get backed by the sun over the summer in temperature well over 20C. The blue mussel can live in a temperature up to 29C, the blue mussel I had did die for some reason, but given that, I don't think they are good in tank.

Learn your biologic before you start accusing me with some stuff you obliviously know nothing of.

Btw: The snails are doing fine, they are eating and adjusting. They also appears to be reproducing. The only think that worries me at the moment is the tank cycle, it is about mid-way at the moment. It has increased the stress on them. But so far it hasn't been too much.
Old 08/13/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

The blue mussel can live in a temperature up to 29C, the blue mussel I had did die for some reason, but given that, I don't think they are good in tank.

I think you disproved your point
Old 08/13/2007, 05:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pepeinthenavy

I think you disproved your point [/B]
No, I didn't. You can read about blue mussel here . The blue mussel I had did die soon after I did drop the salt levels to 32 ppt, it wasn't the heat. If something did kill it (if it didn't die from natural courses), it problay was the cycle progress that is going on in the tank or the drop in the salt level. Also, far as I can tell, there are two small blue mussels living in my tank at the moment. They appears to be alive far as I can tell, since they have attached them selfs to a rock I put in few days ago.

Last edited by jonfr; 08/13/2007 at 05:40 AM.