Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 02:52 PM
Premium Member

Electrical panel..?? DJ controllers..??

I've been looking around trying to find a better solution than using standard surge protectors for all my equipment... I also like the idea of being able to switch everything on and off without haveing to dig around and yank a cord out, only to find out I unplugged the wrong thing... I've seen that people have been using dj light controller/power stations... Does anyone recommend a specific one..?? have any pics of them installed and wired..?? Thanks in advance..

Jester
Old 01/09/2008, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

I used an American DJ power controller. It came with one outlet that has to be jiggled around to work and one of the LEDs in another switch flickers. Perhaps I was unlucky, but I would try a different brand. It was like $20 though so perhaps I should not have been so cheap.

I would never NOT use one though. It is just way too convenient when I want the pumps off for feeding or the lights off while I acclimate.

I went with the easy install of it just set back and mounted on the side of the tank. Since that side of the tank is a few inches away from a wall you can't really see it there and it is easy to get to.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

This is what I did... Nothing fancy...But it works.

I am in the process of building another one that uses all X10 controlled outlets.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Try these links. they are from a member Melev. His site is full of information and he could answer probably any question you have if you email him. The second link is where he upgraded his system. Hope this helps

http://www.melevsreef.com/power_panel.html

http://www.melevsreef.com/power_system.html
Old 01/09/2008, 08:12 PM
Premium Member

Awesome help everyone...!!!!! I appreciate it... I searched for a few hours and couldnt find this amount of good information in one spot...
Old 01/09/2008, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

I have had an American DJ running for probably a year without an issue.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

I have a guitar center on my was to work... so tomorrow i'm going to go by and see what I can come up with... they are showing them on there website, so I hope that means they have them in the store... I need one for under the tank and another for the sump room... it'll be great to not have to unplug the pumps whenever I need to cut something off...
Old 01/09/2008, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

I use X10 modules and just control everything with the remote control. That way things can just be plugged in wherever. The only draw back is that every once in a while the system has issues. Like right now my remote seems to have died.

Otherwise it works exceedingly well. Especially since I've got stuff on multiple levels of the house.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:24 AM
Registered Member

Another option would be an Aqua Controller Jr......its a little more expensive, but it will control up to 12 items, and acts as a temp and pH monitor.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RWillieK
Another option would be an Aqua Controller Jr......its a little more expensive, but it will control up to 12 items, and acts as a temp and pH monitor.
A controller is definitely on my list of upgrades in the future... we'll see when though... =)
Old 01/10/2008, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

If you go the electrical panel route after you add up all $ spent on outlets,boxes,wires, etc. you could have easily bought a controller.IMO

"Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying"

"Were discussing man,...you have your wrong opinion i have my right one. Its called communication." Mac Inger
Old 01/10/2008, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bad santa
If you go the electrical panel route after you add up all $ spent on outlets,boxes,wires, etc. you could have easily bought a controller.IMO
I dont think I'm going to build the entire power panel... I just want an individually switched power strip, which I think is what this DJ controller is... I will definitely look into the reef controllers before I drop $200 of wiring and boxes... heheheeee
Old 01/10/2008, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

How close together are the outlets on the back of a power center? Would I be able to plug something wide into it, like a timer or a 12VDC power adapter?
Old 01/10/2008, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by driftin
How close together are the outlets on the back of a power center? Would I be able to plug something wide into it, like a timer or a 12VDC power adapter?
During my recent research I jsut came across this thread.. somewhere near the middle of the first page you get a good shot of the outlets on the back...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=765280
Old 01/10/2008, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by driftin
Yes timers will fit. What is a drag about them is you have to bring all your cords to the switches. Ive got a dvd somewhere that I'll try to find tonight that I made to show how to make a remote switch panel using only safe low voltage and the power strip in my gallery. Its cheap and all relay controlled.

Don
Old 01/10/2008, 04:40 PM

I am using an American DJ strip in addition to my RK2 controller. The RK2 only controls 8 devices and I found out that it wasn't enough..
Old 01/10/2008, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

I have the DJ power strip and a controller. The modules for the controller would NOT fit
without covering 2 other outlets. That is why I made the box. The controller modules STILL
take up too much real estate, so I am building another one with the X10 outlet modules to
add to this one.
Old 01/10/2008, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

I also run an controller and American DJ box......things that stay on constantly are on the switch box...only items switched on off daily go on the controller.

Robbie
Old 01/10/2008, 10:08 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

click my red house, half way down page 5 and top of page 6.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 01/11/2008, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy7200
click my red house, half way down page 5 and top of page 6.
I'll have to go back read the whole thread, but that looked like an intense project...

I also stopped by the local guitar center and picked these up...!!!

Old 01/11/2008, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Jester, what's the cost of 1 of those power centers?
I'm in need of a center myself...
Old 01/11/2008, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amwd
Jester, what's the cost of 1 of those power centers?
I'm in need of a center myself...
I paid about $28 each... not too bad... you can find them online cheaper, but after shipping and waiting, its worth it to me to pay a little more to get them locally...
Old 01/11/2008, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

that's cheaper than buying all the electrical and doing it yourself. all the electrical boxes, plugs and switches would exceed that amount.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:21 PM