Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 01/11/2008, 10:36 PM
That's Mind Bottling !

OT HELP: LED Light Indicator

I need to know if there is a way to hook up a small light, LED, or similar size to an Audio/Visual jack that feeds into a TV Monitor.

Here's the sitchiashun.......The TV's are hooked to cameras that are watching animal enclosures. There are numerous TV's and no way to tell WHICH TV the noises are coming from.

So I am thinking a small indicator light that hooks into the AV wire jack just prior to it entering the AV jack ! (Don't know if I'm using the correct terms here !)

Anyone....? Anyone....?

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 01/11/2008, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

Can you explain the setup a little bit more. How many cameras feeding each monitor. What kind of cabling and jacks?
Old 01/11/2008, 11:26 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

an easy thing to do would be to check out line level monitors from pro dj/audio websites. I would recommended www.allprosound.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:08 AM
That's Mind Bottling !

Ken...the link didn't connect...! But I'd like to take a look at their stuff !

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 01/12/2008, 12:11 AM
That's Mind Bottling !

The TV's are hooked to B/W cameras that feed an image through an RCA jack....into the TV. What I want is to hook a small light that will light up to indicate sound is coming from that particular camera.

Sort of like when a light goes off on the telephone of someone that is hearing impaired to let them know there is an incoming call.

I think it should be just a matter of a small adapter that plugs into the the male end of the wire just prior to it going into the RCA jack ! Does this make more sense ???

Old 01/12/2008, 12:34 AM
TRC Leader

RCA jacks carry sound and video (somehow), not power. LEDs need power. I've got no idea how you could do that.
Old 01/12/2008, 01:05 AM
Got Salt?

I think your best bet would be to get or make a small device that lights up when audio is present,
and put "THAT" in the cage with the animals and visible to the cameras.
I'm sure there's a small project like this on hobby websites. It could prolly even be battery operated.

Just my thoughts on how I'd tackle the issue..

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 01/12/2008, 04:07 AM
That's Mind Bottling !

The 'animals' in question.....are Falcons. They are already in the breeding chambers and absolutely cannot be disturbed. Putting anything into the breeding chambers other than food...simply is not an option; but thank you for the suggestion !

Old 01/12/2008, 04:19 AM
That's Mind Bottling !

Thanks Marc !

Old 01/12/2008, 04:29 AM
Can't be listed on **

It should not be to hard to do. I'm not sure what the line voltage is on your audio in, but you could use a op amp and relay to turn on the LED if the voltage was above 1/4 max, or even just little bit above the background noise level.

Get a multimeter and measure the voltage on the jack and see what your average voltage is, should be zero with no sound, make some noise and see what voltage you get with sound, and then you could use a comparator to turn on the relay when ever the voltage on the line is above the set voltage. If you know much about electronics it would not be to difficult to build.