Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself

Old 12/15/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

coast to coast overflow

Any DIY or info on a coast to coast overflow?
Old 12/15/2007, 08:53 PM
"Lurker"

Here and here
Old 12/16/2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Seems like the better design is the overflows attached to the outside back of the tank?? However, In that case you couldn't go with a glass tank??
Old 12/16/2007, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

My next tank will be exactly what you are talking about. External horizontal C2C overflow (Calfo style). You can channel the glass, it's just an added cost. This guy did it:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7669
Old 12/16/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

If making a custom tank you can make the back panel 1" shorter, but with a premade tank it's not as easy. I went with an internal and i'm pretty happy with it. click on my little red house for the build thread.
Old 12/16/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

shyland83, that's basically what I was thinking about, but I like yours better.
Any more pics showing some details of the overflow. Is the tank still up and running? Is there anything you would change about the overflow?

BTW, nice job on the cab and the stand...very well done.
Old 12/16/2007, 06:14 PM
Frag-a-holic

David, take a look at the first page of my build thread for my external overflow. Red house for details.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/16/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Wow, what craftsmanships (tank and stand). You actually cut the top edge of the tank and mounted a overflow box on the outside. Very nice but man, there is no way I have the skills for that.

That is the preferred method if you have the skills; put everything outside the tank to keep the inside nice and clean looking. This would be a lot easier with acrylic but I want to use glass.

Thanks for the link
Dave
Old 12/16/2007, 08:19 PM
Frag-a-holic

Dave, my tank is glass. It is really not hard to cut and work with glass, but as a disclaimer, it is also not too hard to chip it or mess it up. I chipped my overflow when cutting it because I got in a rush. Luckily I was able to work around the mistake. You could possibly get a glass shop to cut it for you. The way I did it was by using a 45mm diamond hole saw(the only size I have since I usually run 1" bulkheads), I cut the 2 corners. Then I put a straightedge(metal) and used a diamond tipped dremel bit and went along the straightedge. To clean it up, I used an orbital sander with aluminum oxide sandpaper and rounded the top edges and made sure nothing was sharp. With the dremel tip I had(I was cheap and should have gotten a better one), it took forever. What I did was just kinda up and down like a angled sawing motion while a buddy of mine held the hose keeping it nice and wet/cool. I should also mention that I used the extension attachment for the dremel so I didn't have to worry about getting the dremel itself wet and rusting out the bearings. Good luck and if you need any more guidance, let me know.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/17/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll try my local glass company and see what they offer.

Dave
Old 01/11/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

tag