Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp

Old 12/26/2007, 03:06 AM
Registered Member

Active mantis for a 12g Office Aquapod

Hi,

Currently cycling a 12g Aquapod and have been researching a mantis after I saw one in the LFS (they say it is a peacock but I need to go get a pic of him/her)

The nano is not quite big enough for the peacock and I do not plan to upgrade to a bigger tank any time soon.

I work 8-16hour days and he would be right under my monitors, having a difficult time deciding who will be my best bet for a desk buddy.

Ive read a few good things about G. Smithii and G. Virdis and N. wennerae also g. ternatensis sounds very active

Also saw a post by Roy where he mentioned O. latirostris was very active

p.s. Closest big city to me is Sacramento, CA

Any help?

Last edited by Feclar; 12/26/2007 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Go with N. wennerae or G. smithii (if you can find it). O. latirostris should have a bigger tank. G. ternatensis also sound good, but they are a bit harder to find and Dr. Roy has complaioned about shell disease problems with them in ther past, though I haven't heard the same issues from hobbiests. Some people would recommend P. ciliata for 10 gallopns, and they are an active mantis, but I prefer 15 gallons for them. IN a 12 one would probly be fine, but I would prefer a larger tank (not my choice though, is it ;P ).

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 12/27/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Been watching www.stomatopod.com for a few days but have only seen G. Viridis and O. Scyllarus.

Thinking I will go with G. Viridis or is there any other places I can keep an eye on?

Are any mantis 'reef safe'?

Will P. ciliata leave other inverts alone? (aka cleaning crew)
Old 12/28/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

Well any mantis is reef safe if you are just talking corals :P . Most mantises will eat the cleanup crew, and bottom dwelliing fish are an easy target sometimes. Fish that stay in the water column are pretty safe with smaller (non peacock) smashers. Only coral not safe with is maybe very large stony colonies. For cleanup crews P. ciliata will rarely take out hermits or snails (though if they are so inclined I know they can pull out hermits). Crabs may be eaten, shrimp will almost always be eaten unless they are nocturnal and have a good hiding spot during the day or maybe really small or maybe commensal with anenomes or corals. Or sometimes a mantis will gety lazy and won't attack any live food at all.

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 12/29/2007, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

While I would prefer a smithii and day of the week they are hard to come by. You can get a wennerae from tampabaysaltwater

http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/

I live in Oakland CA and plan on getting one of these. Nice colors from what I hear.

50 shipped
Old 12/29/2007, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Where would you hunt for G. Smithii's?
My local LFS's are anti-mantis but could order a peacock
Old 01/06/2008, 11:44 PM
Premium Member

Try Your Reef in Sacramento, or Exotic aquarium. I think either of them would be able to find you one.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

FWIW, I personally wouldn't buy another G. smithii without seeing how active it is or talking to the supplier it came from first. Their personalities seem to vary greatly between individuals. Many people have very active ones, but I've also heard from many people who have shy ones, including myself.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

My G. Term is very active. His best friend is a six line wrasse. I keep him supplied with plenty of small hermits (his favorite) and he leaves the fish and clams alone.