Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 04/15/2006, 12:22 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by Csubseball
David-
That is going to be an awesome setup when it is all finished. What did you use to raise your rocks up? Is it just cut pieces of pvc?
Eric,
Thanks so much and yes, just some pieces of pvc.

David

Too old for women to care
Old 04/15/2006, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Hey, I'm really sorry to offend anyone out there about this BB look. I do not think they look bad at all. I'm just expressing my thoughts. I guess I'm more of realist with wanting a sand bottom so I won't bother you anymore, sorry.
100 lbs Ls
1 Yellow Tang
1 Coral Beauty Angel
1 Yelowtail Damsel
2 Common Clownfish
1 Fighting Conch
20+ Snails and Hermits
Old 04/15/2006, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

It wasnt realy your comments

I'm over it now man.It just gets so old hearing about the damn look of sand bottoms and how great they work etc,etc,etc
Old 04/18/2006, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

My new 180 BB sps/lps tank still under construction

Old 04/18/2006, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Aquarists that use sand in their SPS tanks may not know any better, but this guy seems to be doing okay. It's ALMOST as nice as the BB tanks pictured in this thread.

BB Tank Pic - NOT
Old 04/18/2006, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Wink Hey did anybody see that troll that ran through here?

Thats an awsome tank and we have all seen it before.Nobody ever said that Sand bottoms keeps corals from growing beautifully.I'm actualy surprised that it took this long for somebody to post that system with regards to SB success.

It also runs on all T-5 Lighting wich most say cant happen.Why dont you hear all the Metal Halide police crying about that?
Old 04/18/2006, 02:37 PM
troublemaker

Perhaps you should surf RC more, as that tank has been discussed here for months.

The thread has split at least once so far:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

And your attempted slam has been duly noted.
Thanks for adding something positive here
Old 04/18/2006, 03:16 PM
Magnetic Wall of SPS

Quote:
Originally posted by GSchiemer
Aquarists that use sand in their SPS tanks may not know any better, but this guy seems to be doing okay. It's ALMOST as nice as the BB tanks pictured in this thread.

BB Tank Pic - NOT
Move on GScheimer
Old 04/18/2006, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Re: Hey did anybody see that troll that ran through here?

Quote:
Originally posted by Boat Racer

It also runs on all T-5 Lighting wich most say cant happen.Why dont you hear all the Metal Halide police crying about that?
Well, in fairness it should be noted that he is using 12 T-5 lamps for a total of 856 watts and he changes them every 6-8 months! Sure T-5 lamps can light an SPS coral reef aquarium but it's not the most efficient route. I can light the same aquarium more efficiently with two 400 watt MH bulbs in Lumenarc reflectors.

Sorry to interrupt the BB love-fest; I just wanted to educate some of the readers that might have been under the impression that the BB approach was necessary to have success with SPS corals, which couldn't be further from the truth.

You can return to posting your pictures now.

Ps: "Sand is for Sand Boxes!" and spectacular reef aquariums too!
Old 04/18/2006, 04:36 PM
Just some guy, You know?

GSchiemer, why don't you just create a thread asking for pictures of Sand Bed tanks? That way we can get this thread back on track.

Thanks,
Whiskey
Old 04/18/2006, 06:25 PM
Moved forward

Re: Re: Hey did anybody see that troll that ran through here?

Quote:

Sorry to interrupt the BB love-fest; I just wanted to educate some of the readers that might have been under the impression that the BB approach was necessary to have success with SPS corals, which couldn't be further from the truth.

You can return to posting your pictures now.

Ps: "Sand is for Sand Boxes!" and spectacular reef aquariums too!
Maybe you should write a book about it ........

Instead of worrying about what people think who read this thread , perhaps your own thread maybe even a forum on how you don't like BB tanks is in order.

When I first met you I was impressed with how smart you are , now I'm wondering why you are spending so much time trolling a thread you don't like .

There are many ways to accomplish a successful Tank , these are people who just like a different way then you .

Cheers,
Joe
Old 04/18/2006, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Re: Hey did anybody see that troll that ran through here?

Quote:
Originally posted by joefish
Maybe you should write a book about it ........

Instead of worrying about what people think who read this thread , perhaps your own thread maybe even a forum on how you don't like BB tanks is in order.

When I first met you I was impressed with how smart you are , now I'm wondering why you are spending so much time trolling a thread you don't like .

There are many ways to accomplish a successful Tank , these are people who just like a different way then you .

Cheers,
Joe
Joe,

There's no need for personal insults. I used to think you were a smart guy too. Now I wonder why you still visit a forum on aquariums when you don't even own a tank!

I understand and agree that there are many ways to have a successful reef aquarium and that's what I'm trying to illustrate. Let's not play innocent. This has been more than just a "picture thread." There have been many derogatory comments made against the use of sand in reef aquariums and statements about the superiority of BB tanks that simply aren't verifiable or true. Then there are the inflammatory tag lines, such as "sand is for sand boxes." It's okay to like BB tanks, but they're not the be-all and end-all in reef aquariums.

BTW, my SSB reef aquariums have appeared in dozens of books and publications and I've contributed to these as well, so I have sort of "written a book," but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04/18/2006, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
GSchiemer
hey lets not forget the magzine you used to write for as well. I think it was called aquarium frontiers or maybe you can just post a picture of that amazing tank of yours. what is it again 500 gallons wow very impresive and please keep me in mind when its time to frag that hugh SPS you got there Talk to ya soon
Michael
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 04/18/2006, 08:35 PM
Moved forward

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey did anybody see that troll that ran through here?

Quote:
Joe,

There's no need for personal insults. I used to think you were a smart guy too. Now I wonder why you still visit a forum on aquariums when you don't even own a tank!

I understand and agree that there are many ways to have a successful reef aquarium and that's what I'm trying to illustrate. Let's not play innocent. This has been more than just a "picture thread." There have been many derogatory comments made against the use of sand in reef aquariums and statements about the superiority of BB tanks that simply aren't verifiable or true. Then there are the inflammatory tag lines, such as "sand is for sand boxes." It's okay to like BB tanks, but they're not the be-all and end-all in reef aquariums.

BTW, my SSB reef aquariums have appeared in dozens of books and publications and I've contributed to these as well, so I have sort of "written a book," but thanks for the suggestion.
See how the written word can be misunderstood . I did not insult you at all .

I said
Quote:
When I first met you I was impressed with how smart you are
Then
Quote:
now I'm wondering why you are spending so much time trolling a thread you don't like .
I wanted to know why such a smart guy is trolling a thread like this . I never said you less intelligent for it .

This is how most of your post here come across.

Of course there are tag lines like that , when you try a dsb and fail then find success with a BB there are bitter feelings . I don't think anyone is going to build a reef tank around a sig line do you ?
Quote:
I know , that's why it was supposed to be a joke .
Quote:
Now I wonder why you still visit a forum on aquariums when you don't even own a tank!
Actualy I only visit the LIRA and photography forums to keep in touch with some nice people I've met . I'm subcribed to this thread and get e-mails .

PS I still find you an intellegent reef keeper , this is why it bothers me when you take your cheap shots .
Old 04/18/2006, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Um, pictures anyone?
Old 04/18/2006, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey did anybody see that troll that ran through here?

Quote:

I wanted to know why such a smart guy is trolling a thread like this . (
Joe,

If you don't see why statements such as this are insulting then I don't know what to tell you. Being called a "troll" is not exactly complimentary. Neither is being told to go "start my own thread" and "write a book about it."

As I explained, I was trying to offer some perspective because some of the comments by the BB advocates were misleading. As I've said many times, the BB methodology is a viable alternative for maintaining a reef aquarium, but it's just an alternative.

Greg
Old 04/18/2006, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Csubseball
Um, pictures anyone?
My now complete BB 180

Old 04/18/2006, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful tank! I am currently in the process of plumbing my CL for my 150. I am running a spray bar along the back. I should have water in it by this weekend!
Old 04/18/2006, 11:15 PM
Moved forward

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey did anybody see that troll that ran through here?

Quote:
Joe,

As I explained, I was trying to offer some perspective because some of the comments by the BB advocates were misleading. As I've said many times, the BB methodology is a viable alternative for maintaining a reef aquarium, but it's just an alternative.

Greg
Do you hunt down DSB threads to correct the misleading statements made about them ?
Old 04/19/2006, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

Like a dog and a frisbee!
Old 04/19/2006, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

Sand is for reef tanks

Quote:
Do you hunt down DSB threads to correct the misleading statements made about them ?
As a matter of fact I have been involved in some of those heated threads. DSB is an alternative approach that can work but there are too many issues and questions surrounding it for my liking.
Right now the hot "new" approach is this BB technique and DSB has somewhat fallen out of favor. And I put "new" in quotes because BB reef tanks were in vogue back in the 1980's before aquarists became educated in the benefits and care of a sand substrate.

Why don't we let everyone get back to the pictures now?

Greg
Old 04/19/2006, 09:23 AM
Moved On

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey did anybody see that troll that ran through here?

Quote:
joe....

i have a favor to ask you.....please stop feeding into this, he is not going to stop as long as you are trying to make your point (which by the way i am sure that all reading this thread know what it is), and how dare you not have a tank anymore .
Old 04/19/2006, 02:40 PM
Moved forward

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey did anybody see that troll that ran through here?

Quote:
Originally posted by smoknreefrs
joe....

i have a favor to ask you.....please stop feeding into this, he is not going to stop as long as you are trying to make your point (which by the way i am sure that all reading this thread know what it is),
Sorry everyone , I get goated way to easy sometimes .

Quote:
and how dare you not have a tank anymore .
Soon enough , This is too good a hobby to completly give up .
Old 04/30/2006, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

I just switched over...I'll post a pic soon.
Old 04/30/2006, 01:25 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=835195