Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2003, 09:02 AM
WTMRAC's Daddy

Great attention to detail. I can't wait to see this one full of beautiful fish and corals.
Old 11/29/2003, 03:18 PM
Latte Man

Thumbs up Snail Strainer Mod for Dursos

Tcook had an excellent suggestion earlier in this thread that I use the perforated standpipes that came standard with the Oceanic as snail strainers for the Dursos. A quick trip to Lowes and HD provided the bushings and end caps needed to complete the mod. Here are the pictures...

Reef Central is truly an awesome collection of talented folks who together contribute to the betterment of the hobby all around The excellent ideas just keep popping up all over!

Last edited by DJ88©; 01/20/2004 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11/29/2003, 03:31 PM
TRC Leader

Doug, everything is so shiny and new!

Are you going to be able to pull those screened sections out easily for the occasional cleaning/maintenance?
Old 11/29/2003, 03:53 PM
Latte Man

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Doug, everything is so shiny and new!

Are you going to be able to pull those screened sections out easily for the occasional cleaning/maintenance?
Yea, Marc... we need to enjoy it now because surely after it's been up and running for a year it will not look nearly as nice

I'll do my best, though, to keep it clean since it is the centerpiece of our living room.

None of the Durso sections are glued. They're all just slipped together. I hope to keep it that way so I can disassembly them from time to time for cleaning.
Old 11/29/2003, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Looks very good!!! I'm definately jealous of the power center you designed. This will definately be a tank to watch out for!!!
Keep us posted on your progress!!!
Nick
Old 11/29/2003, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

dmiannay

can you post some pictures of the American DJ PC-100/A AC Power Centers from the Back please.

Looking great BTW.

Thanks
Troy
Old 11/29/2003, 06:36 PM
Latte Man

Quote:
Originally posted by pamela-troy
dmiannay

can you post some pictures of the American DJ PC-100/A AC Power Centers from the Back please.

Looking great BTW.

Thanks
Troy
Gladly

Here are the two units mounted in the support structure I built to hold them in my stand. The labeling is obviously mine, but the remainder that you see is what you get when you purchase the units.

HTH

Last edited by DJ88©; 01/20/2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11/29/2003, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

dmiannay

Thanks for the great pictures...one more if you don't mind
Do you have one of how you wired them to the sockets.

Thanks again
Troy
Old 11/29/2003, 09:19 PM
Latte Man

Troy,

I don't have any pictures that show that. Instead, let me just describe it.

For each outlet on the back of the power centers I built up a 3-prong plug (purchased at HD - Leviton brand). In addition to the plugs and receptacles, I purchased three colors of 14 gauge stranded wire... black for the hot, white for the common and green for the ground. After attaching the wires to the correct connectors on the plug, I attached the other ends of the wires to a receptacle on the main board, being careful to attach them to the correct connections. Once assembled, when the switch is turned on, it applies power to the receptacle and hence, whatever is plugged in to it.

If you're not too familiar with home electrical wiring, here's a link to a fairly good tutorial at Lowes website: http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...tingElectrical

HTH
Old 11/29/2003, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

Thanks that helps alot. You said that you got all your...most of your stuff at HD? thanks again

Troy

PS. can't wait to see it up and running
Old 11/29/2003, 09:31 PM
Latte Man

We bought all our stuff at both Home Depot and Lowes.

And we can't wait either! Not too much longer now... maybe another three weeks.

Have fun!
Old 11/29/2003, 09:31 PM
Compulsive Reefer

Wow, this set up is amazing! Truly well planned out!
Old 11/29/2003, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

Great good luck with the rest...post pic's as soon as you can

Troy
Old 11/30/2003, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

more pic, more pic!!!!!!
Please
Old 11/30/2003, 04:32 PM
Latte Man

Plexiglas Barrier Installed

We keep marching along day by day... Finally got the upper guide track structure completed and had the plexiglas cut to size. Now that the barrier is in place it will protect the powercenters and recetacle panel from being splashed from the sump in the event something is dropped during maintenance. You just can't be too safe .

Here are a few pix of the installed plexiglas...

Last edited by DJ88©; 01/20/2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11/30/2003, 05:33 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

sweet...those DJ PC-100/a ac units are NICE!!! really nice and clean set up...very nice how you hooked them to a power panel too!!!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 12/01/2003, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

Do you plan on running a Aquacontroller?
I cant even begin to say how much I love mine, does great on heaters, timers, calling in event of power outage, moonlight, etc. One really nice thing I like is if anything goes wrong and tank temp gets to warm during the day I have it set to turn lights off. I had it happen once when a fan stopped working. Saved my butt... so you should consider one of these.

However I was wondering if you are using a aquacontroller how you plan to get everything running on those outlets since the x-10 controllers are huge and can only get one plugged into each wall socket.

I really like your electical setup and I think I would like to try something like this. If you dont mind, how much would you estimate(not including timers) did your electical setup cost?

Thanks
Old 12/01/2003, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

I love your standpipe.

I'm sorry that I will have to steal the idea.
Old 12/01/2003, 08:25 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Doug,
Very, very nice. I just finished building the framework for the stand of a 110 gallon. Your post has inspired me to rework my electrical plans. The power panel and power centers are sweet.

With all the detail planning and work you have done on the electrical, do you have any plans for electrical back-up/UPS?

Quote:
Originally posted by cmiannay
What can I say? I'm so proud of my man...
Great to have support from one's spouse isn't it? At least I assume this is your wife. If not.......

David

Too old for women to care
Old 12/01/2003, 08:46 AM
Latte Man

Quote:
Originally posted by skeets
Do you plan on running a Aquacontroller?

If you dont mind, how much would you estimate(not including timers) did your electical setup cost?
skeets: At this stage I don't have plans for an Aquacontroller. I have, however, been researching the technology and fully expect we'll dive into a mod at a latar date. Trying to let the initial financial outlay settle a bit! Until then, obsessed human Aquacontrollers will have to do !

As for the cost on the electrical panel... you'll have to wait till later this evening since I'm at work. I have all the receipts and can get you a pretty good estimate then.

Quote:
Originally posted by dkh0331
With all the detail planning and work you have done on the electrical, do you have any plans for electrical back-up/UPS?
David: Thanks for the encouraging coments! At this stage I have only thought about a UPS... but no decision yet or plans to proceed with one until sometime early next year. Our power is quite stable where we are and only goes out from time to time, and never for more than 5-15 minutes. I do agree that a UPS is a good thing and we will have one, but not right away.

As for Cathy... she is my lovely and awesome wife of 10 years (on Dec 8th) This project is just as much her passion as mine! It is indeed a blessing to share this incredible project with her and our two daughters!

Last edited by dmiannay; 12/01/2003 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12/01/2003, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Doug, that is amazing! I am so glad you were able to get into this hobby! In your profile you say youre an aviation manager, which airport? I fly into LZU and RYY with an occasional PDK jaunt. That tank is going to be beautiful!
Old 12/01/2003, 12:18 PM
Latte Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorch268
Doug, that is amazing! I am so glad you were able to get into this hobby! In your profile you say youre an aviation manager, which airport? I fly into LZU and RYY with an occasional PDK jaunt. That tank is going to be beautiful!
Scorch268: Good to hear from you. I hope all is going well with your schooling! Thanks for the kind words , encouragement is always appreciated!

Actually my profile should be reworded a bit to make it a little more clear. I'm actually involved in the aerospace training business with a large aeronautics manufacturing company here in the Marietta area (no doubt you know exactly what company I'm refering to ) Our group is responsible for all the aircrew and maintenence training for our many aircraft customers worldwide. I am very familiar, though, with RYY and PDK since one of my other "passions" is PC-based flight simulation.

Maybe one of these days on your way through we can touch base. Again, thanks for stopping by to say hello.
Old 12/01/2003, 01:57 PM
Formerly fleetmarine79

What do the a/c power centers cost and where did you get them?
Old 12/01/2003, 04:40 PM
Latte Man

Quote:
Originally posted by fleetmarine79
What do the a/c power centers cost and where did you get them?
They were $29.99 apiece and can be ordered from a multitude of places... just do a Google search for American DJ PC-100/A. I got one from a guy on eBay and the other from an online mailorder company named idjnow. I don't recommend idjnow... their Customer Service was more like Customer No Service unfortunately. They did get me the unit eventually, but not without numerous phone calls on my part.

But, like I said, there are a multitude of sources on the internet from which to purchase the units and they all have essentially the same price.

HTH!
Old 12/01/2003, 05:04 PM
Bored Reefer

This is a great tank, very well planned out. I can't wait to see it when its done. What do you plan on keeping in it, fish, invert and coral wise (I know you have been thinking of it.) Also, what are you going to do for a substrate?