Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/01/2003, 02:27 AM
Registered Member

tagging along
Old 09/01/2003, 03:28 AM
Team RC Member

From all this talk I am having second thoughts about DSB's.
I was gonna get a DSB in my new 180 in a few weeks - but I am beginning to think it ain't worth the risk.

I like to keep risk to an absolute minimum, because I live 4 hrs (each way) from the nearest, and only dealer - meaning that that if and when disaster strikes, help is anything but close at hand.....

I might do a remote DSB instead. That way if I am unsure, or whatever, I can simply disconnect it at any time.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt
Old 09/01/2003, 05:07 AM
Registered Member

Very clean looking tank Bomber, love it. I like to have about 2" of sand in the bottom of mine for asthetic purposes. Do you think that a plenum system is still worthwhile (I use them in two of my tanks, that's all)?

Also, are you going to put any more LR in or just leave it as so?

Just have to say again that it looks great.

Hope is just a form of ignorant faith, however most people are aware that ignorance is bliss.
Old 09/01/2003, 06:41 AM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by BigE
I'm no expert but I don't think thats an opinion. I've read articles about dying reefs caused by excesive run-off and the indication of this is increased growth of algae that ends up over growing the corals and killing them off.
Crawdad was just covering my butt BigE. LOL
Old 09/01/2003, 06:47 AM
10 & Over Club

Matt, that should work fine. Just watch remote filters, they tend to accumulate a lot of detritus real fast. So you will probably have to keep up with that on a regular basis. If figure if I have to do that, I might as well just clean the tank and eliminate that step.

Gus, that's it on the LR. It's way overrated and you really don't need that much. I'm too lazy and usually in too much of a hurry to have ever fooled with plenums. But, I know a lot more people that have old ones and they are all still doing fine. For some reason, it's the DSB's that seem to fizzle out around here.
Old 09/01/2003, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

Old 09/01/2003, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

Bomber, Just curious did you have any problems with either your queen angel or butterflys picking at your corals and if so which corals got picked on the most?

Jetor

240 in the garage under construction
Old 09/01/2003, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Great tank and great thread.....................but a long read

My six footer is cycling right now with LR and 3/4" LS. I plan to keep it simple. Again lookin good.

Dave
Old 09/01/2003, 04:19 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by jetor
Bomber, Just curious did you have any problems with either your queen angel or butterflys picking at your corals and if so which corals got picked on the most?

Jetor
The queen really doesn't pick on any of the hard corals Jetor. She will eat any encrusting sponges she can get to. Last year she acquired a taste for ricordea and cleaned the tank out in just a few days.
The B'flys seem to just randomly pick around and don't seem to do any damage. Keep in mind there are no LPS type corals either.
Old 09/01/2003, 04:20 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Dry Rot
Great tank and great thread.....................but a long read

My six footer is cycling right now with LR and 3/4" LS. I plan to keep it simple. Again lookin good.

Dave
Me too Dave, thanks!
Old 09/02/2003, 12:25 AM
Registered member

Pics?
Old 09/02/2003, 10:10 AM
10 & Over Club

sky

It's only been a month. LOL

I'm working on getting pictures. Jay and Jeff were here this past weekend and Jeff took some pictures of it. When he gets back home, I'll see if he will post them.

There's really not much going on with it right now. I added some very large colonies back that were getting crowded before. Now they have more room and to tell you the truth, I sort of like the more spread out, sparse look that it has now. It doesn't look at all like it did before.
Old 09/02/2003, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

Hey Bomber,

Great looking tank!
I am starting a new 125g and had already put 5in. of sand in and pulled it all out except about 3/4 in after reading the mega thread..
It is still cloudy and I am want to get it all out and use the starboard.

I have had some used on my boat for the electronics console but that was a while ago.

I did a search and can't seem to find large sheets unless you are a retailer (and all I need is 48x24x1/4 in.).

Do you have any contacts for a regular reefer for starboard?

Thanks,

Clay
Old 09/03/2003, 06:52 AM
10 & Over Club

Shoot Clay, I really don't. I went to the Plastics Shop in Tavernier and had Wess cut it for me. I would think any plastic shop, especially one that does work on boats would have it. Our tank is 10ft, so I had two 5ft pieces cut. There's a seam in the middle, but you don't notice it.
Someone mentioned that this is a pure Berlin system now.

Thank you
Old 09/03/2003, 07:29 AM
10 & Over Club

Bombers right plastic shops in your area that do mariine work should either have starboard or be able to order it. I checked with the one I deal with when I was in there last to find out a little about it. The owner told me that it comes in 4'X8' sheets like acrylic/plexiglass and is made from recycled plastic jugs such as the ones milk comes in. I don't know whether or not this is for real but thought I would throw out a little trivia.
Old 09/03/2003, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

wow! What an awesome tank! I have never seen a tank like this! So clean and open! It really makes you rethink the way a "standard" reef tank "should" look. Man. I so wish I could do something like this.
Maybe someday.....
Great job, I can't wait to see more....

><lll>
Old 09/03/2003, 09:33 AM
Moved On

Here is what I'm going to do. My tank is 60" X 18" I can use two of these cutting boards 30 X 18.

Old 09/03/2003, 11:28 AM
Reefer

60" X 18" would need to be inside measurements, of course...
Old 09/04/2003, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

I found some starboard at boater's world, shoulda guessed as my boat has a lot of it.

I am going to try to post pics fof my new 120g, 100# DR.
I am going to pick up 150# of Keys LR tomorrow.

Clay

My files don't seem to work. Says they are not the right format.
They are jpeg from a Minolta.
Can someone help or is there a link for posting?
Old 09/05/2003, 01:39 AM
Registered Member

I know it's been said here before, but really nice look -- I'm tempted to try it for my next tank.

Terry
Old 09/05/2003, 06:28 AM
10 & Over Club

Thanks guys!

I'm having a heck of a time getting the tank to look like I wanted it to. Mainly because I've had limited time to do it and when I did, I've been trying to rush it. I've been trying to recover the original corals that were in the tank, but! I loaned them out to other displays, which made the other tanks look better. Now when I take them out of those displays, it leaves a hole in them.

Looks like I'm going to have to re-arrange about 6 tanks to get the corals back. Plus there's less places for corals this time around. I might as well just look at all 6 displays and tackle them all at one time.

I'll try to get pictures of this tank in a couple of days. Keep in mind, it's new and it's not a finished product. It might just all change.
Old 09/05/2003, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

unrelated note

Hey Bomber any jobs down in your area for a couple fellow PhDs. My wife and I are microbiologist and have been working with biological threat agents for a few years now. I'm from Daytona and would really like to get back that way in the near furthure!

Cheers,
Rick
Old 09/05/2003, 12:35 PM
Never Pass out first

Bomber very nice tank. I had admired it along time ago when it was TOTM.

I am thinking of going almost the same route in my new 120g so I had a few quesions if you don't mind. I noticed you mentioned properly feeding your fish. How often do you feed them now and in what proportion? Do you use additives (i.e. calcium) or just the NSW for your water changes? Are you reading any nitrate with the starboard bottom?

TIA
Old 09/06/2003, 07:17 AM
10 & Over Club

Rick, even though we're suffering through major cuts right now, there are actually jobs available. Here's going to be your biggest problems, starting salaries are very low and the cost of living here is very high. Entry level job security is zero, so you'll have to do a lot of networking and a lot of jobs that would not be considered in your job description.
The "old guard" resides at the top and you'll never get rid of them. Everyone else is almost considered expendable.
Old 09/06/2003, 07:22 AM
10 & Over Club

AR

I've actually added more fish to the tank now, I like that a lot better. I guess I'm more of a fish person anyway. I'm feeding them at least twice a day and sometimes three, about a 3/4" cube of blender mush.

I take the easy way and use calcium chloride and Arm and Hammer and do large water changes. Nitrate, phosphate, etc levels are staying way down and that's normal when you do wet skimming and heavy circulation.

Everything is working right for me again.