Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Xtreme 250 skimmer

I need a new skimmer, currently for my 110g FOWLR and will be putting it on my 360g FOWLR when I set it up sometime in 08. I have been doing some research on skimmers, and with my college budget (preferably under $500) I've found this to be my best option I believe.

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/ca...roducts_id=133

I know it's a new skimmer and isn't even out yet, so that does worry me, but it looks pretty similar to the bubble king design. I think after the holidays, I will call them and probably place an order. I just wanted some kind of input first from the guru's, make sure it can handle a heavily stocked 360g FO tank. Thanks everyone, and have a great and safe holiday!
Old 12/24/2007, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

I have heard a lot of good things about these skimmers build but I do not know how they actually perform because they are not out yet.
Old 12/24/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

It looks like they changed the icon from "preorder" to "add to cart"

Must be in stock now.

The Red House = My Tank Thread

Livestock: A. Ocellaris Mated Pair, Six Line Wrasse, Lemonpeel Angel, Fiji Golden Sailfin Blenny, Purple Firefish Mated Pair.
Old 12/24/2007, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

If these skimmers work the way they should, they are going to rock. I have had good experience with the sicce pumps and the bubbleplate should control turbulence. I am thinking they have a WINNER!!!
Old 12/24/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

i heard they aren't going to be using sicce pumps just recently, but i'm not 100% sure on that
Old 12/24/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JediReefer
It looks like they changed the icon from "preorder" to "add to cart"

Must be in stock now.
Maybe - maybe not. I've got one pre-ordered and my order information page still says that they're in transit. If you click on "Protein Skimmers" in the nav pane it still says they're coming soon. Click on the "Coming soon" link and the main Xtreme page says that they're coming soon.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:08 AM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by oct2274
i heard they aren't going to be using sicce pumps just recently, but i'm not 100% sure on that
Where did you hear this? The coralvue octo extreme's first said they were using sicce's then said there not, but the swc octo's have always said there using the sicce's? If they don't use the sicce's then everyone will or should get there money back, but from what marinesolutions has said they ARE using teh sicce's.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

So do you guys think it will handle my 360g FO tank? Keep in mind my budget is $500, I know I shouldn't set a budget on a skimmer, but I am a college kid. So I should pull the trigger and order it? Just want to hear it should be ok for a FO 360g. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

FO - what kind/sizes/numbers of fish? Bioload has more to do with it than water volume.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

Well it isn't up and running, I plan on keep the fish for life, so full grown at some point, by then I will be able to afford a better skimmer though. Mostlikely 3-4 large angels, 2-4 pgymy angels, 4-5 tangs (biggest ones dussumieri/sohal, smaller purple) pair of clowns, few damsels, maybe a pair of bannerfish, lawnmower blenny, other little fish, maybe. Basically the tangs and angels will cause the majority of the waste, so with 6-9 larger fish (6"-12") will the skimmer handle it?
Old 12/25/2007, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DamnPepShrimp
Well it isn't up and running, I plan on keep the fish for life, so full grown at some point, by then I will be able to afford a better skimmer though. Mostlikely 3-4 large angels, 2-4 pgymy angels, 4-5 tangs (biggest ones dussumieri/sohal, smaller purple) pair of clowns, few damsels, maybe a pair of bannerfish, lawnmower blenny, other little fish, maybe. Basically the tangs and angels will cause the majority of the waste, so with 6-9 larger fish (6"-12") will the skimmer handle it?
Well it's been a while since I've been in the game, so I'm not completely sure what all the current skimmers are capable of, but I do know that multiple big angels and big tangs put out a lot of waste. If the tank isn't up yet, I'd save up for a bigger skimmer - or buy a one towards the middle of your budge while you're starting out that'd handle your beginning bio-load - then upgrading later won't be quite as painful on the wallet.

Do you guys who are more familiar with the current crop of skimmers see it differently?
Old 12/25/2007, 01:10 AM
DIY Junkie

Honestly, to get a 10" dia skimmer from any of the other company's out there will be $1K+. If you can hold off, wait on the verdict to come out on these. I see NO reason why they will not perform GREAT, but if you're not setting up your tank for awhile, why not wait a few more weeks until the first batch ships. Even after the $25 pre order discount is gone, they'll still be under $500.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

Well I need a better skimmer for my 110g right now. Its currently you could say a holding tank until the 360g goes up sometime in 08. When the 360g does go up, I won't be in any better of a financial situation. Now that skimmer is at a cheaper introductory price, I'll need to save all the money I can get.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:12 AM
DIY Junkie

Like I said...you're not going to get anything that will perform equal to or better than this for less than a grand IMO.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

What about the octopus NW recir 300? Retails for $750? A RC member is selling a used one for $650 shipped, still outta my price range, but new its under a grand. Will the extreme out perform it? I just want to make sure this skimmer will handle my 360g.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:45 AM
DIY Junkie

well, It'd be hard to say which one would skim netter without hthe Xtreme's being on the market yet....but, the 2 Sicce's will put out more air and use less watts than the 3 OTP's on the 300.
Old 12/25/2007, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DamnPepShrimp
What about the octopus NW recir 300? Retails for $750? A RC member is selling a used one for $650 shipped, still outta my price range, but new its under a grand. Will the extreme out perform it? I just want to make sure this skimmer will handle my 360g.
Im more a reef tank guy, but given that you dont need the super low nutrients in a FO tank like you would in an SPS reef, I'd tend to think this, coupled with water changes would do the job just fine.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 12/25/2007, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

Wow, the Xtreme will move more air then the the octo 300!? That's what really counts there. So looks like I will get the Xtreme 250 now instead. I'd still like to know the footprint and what it's rated for gallon wise.
Old 12/25/2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

The Marine Solutions website says it has a 10" diameter. But beyond that, you'll have to wait for them to actually get them in-stock to find out an actual footprint.

Lots of us on the pre-order list are waiting for this same info. Hopefully they'll get them in sometime this week yet and we'll get to see all sorts of specs on them...
Old 12/25/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

So you have one pre-ordered, did you pay the full $475? I am going to call them tomorrow and get some answers, then order. Thanks for the replies everyone, have a good holiday!
Old 12/25/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Yes - $475 plus shipping.

I've talked with Rob at Marine Solutions before I placed my order and if you call, he'll tell you the same thing he told me - that they won't know any info beyond what's already on the Marine Solutions site until they actually get them in their hands.

I'd suggest saving him the headache of another phone call looking for info he doesn't have and just keep an eye on their site for updated info. He said once he has them in his hands, he'll get firm info onto the Xtreme page on his site. www.marinesolutionsinc.com
Old 12/25/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

fyi....marinesolutions is selling the octopus needlewheel for $600....
Old 12/25/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm wondering if I should just go ahead and order one. If they flow more air, they should skim better then the more expensive octopus.
Old 12/25/2007, 04:28 PM
Tank Collector

I agree with MrSquid, dont bother calling.... the site says theyre in transit and as soon as they get in he will update everyone i'm sure.....

I got a piece of paper for Christmas today that said its been paid for, they're just not in yet.... Alot of us are waiting for the specs just so we can build our sumps, but there's nothing he will be able to do when the skimmers are in customs...

As for ordering one now, will saving the extra $25 make that big a difference to you to justify having to order it right now ?? If not, Id wait and see how they perform...

Myself and alot of others are going based on specs and the general design of the skimmer.... It SHOULD perform as well as $1K skimmers, but we won't know till we start using them....

Even then, a 350 with all those fish you listed might be too much for this skimmer IMO.... I plan on using it on a 180 with a 75g sump, nowhere near what you're thinking about throwing at it...
Old 12/25/2007, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

Damnpep, The SWC 250 is running on my 375 gallon system The SWC skimmer have the Sicce pumps, it has been outskimming the 0ld 300 in less than 1 week it has pulled out almost 2 gallons.