Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

Old 06/15/2006, 05:32 PM
angelfish nut!

The biggest scam in my 20 years in the hobby BEWARE OF TANGEY

Let me preface this by saying that I've been a member here for years and have a standup reputation and have sold/traded frags for years with 100% positive feedback. My old system was featured as TOTM in September '04 and I wrote up the article for Reefkeeping Mag... many people could vouch for me here...

This was not a sale on RC, but the user "tangey" is a member here and he actively sought me out through PMing me. He ended up buying this package pictured below, with 2 true Perun PPEs, 25+ safecrackers, and others...

Anyway, I was cruising another board dedicated to nanoreefs where I'm Brooklyn Johnny and I saw zoanthid frags being sold with pictures and these were zoos I had shipped to tangey the week before. He was selling them at over 300% of what I sold them for, stating how he had gotten the PPEs from Blane Perun when he had gotten them from me less than a week before... True safecrackers were in the package (25+) and he sold out of them for $10 a polyp, amounting to more thn the entire package I sold to him...

This was the bad part... not the disgusting feel sick to your stomach scam part...

TANGEY (ANGELMAN23 on the other board) WROTE THROUGH PERSONAL E-MAIL THE DAY AFTER ARRIVAL THAT HIS PPE FRAG WAS DEAD. THIS IS THE SAME PPE FRAG IN THE PICTURE OPENED AND PERFECTLY HEALTHY. I AM IN MY OFFICE RIGHT NOW WITH ANOTHER PPE FRAG READY TO SHIP TO HIM AT MY EXPENSE BECAUSE HIS "DIED AND WAS THROWN IN THE TRASH" THE DAY AFTER BEING RECIEVED. Little did I know it was sold here at a markup when he was getting another frag in the mail... I nearly mailed this out to him...

I'll post pictures here and will be happy to provide the personal e-mails and Fedex information to Skipper or another admin if they want to see this so they could get his IP. Selling at a profit less than a week later is just bad taste, but scamming me is something else...

This is the lowest thing I've seen in 20 years in the hobby...

Needless to say tangey, you won't get your replacement PPE frag tomorrow...

These are the two pictures he posted showing clearly the same PPE, safecracker, and dragon eye frag in his picture. Does this PPE looked "dead and in the trash"?

He goes on to mention how he will have more PPEs in the future, awaiting my free replacement sent Priority Fedex Overnight.

Oh and by the way he received my PM about this over an hour ago and no response... the benefits of premium membership

Admins, this guy should not be allowed to seek out other RC members as he did with me...

Thanks,

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 06/15/2006, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

sad to hear it. it only takes one rotten person to ruin it for us all.

thanks for the update.
Old 06/15/2006, 05:49 PM
Team RC Member

I share your indignation.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/15/2006, 05:51 PM
angelfish nut!

That's a coincidence... I used that analogy already on the other board ...

I was suspicious by the very fact that I ship Fedex Priority Overnight and after years of shipping corals the few dead ones have been a result of planes being held up due to weather and these were SPS. These settled in zoos don't snap a wink at being put in a bag for less than 18 hours... Again I shipped a near $500 order a few years ago to rural Alaska full of sps including the original Superman (before all these wild ones came in) and it made it fine...

I have all the e-mails and read through them... this was well orchestrated and planned out... he asked about my DOA policy and mentioned not only that the PPE was dead, but "thrown in the trash"... It really looks like it from the picture he took... He snapped the frag in two and sold the individual polyps, stating how he would have more available soon, again awaiting my free replacement frag, that I almost went to the airport Fedex with early today, and I'm an engineer paid by the hour...

saddening...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 06/15/2006, 08:13 PM
Registered Member.

He approached me for some Purple Deaths for PPEs, probably your replacements.....I had already made a deal with somebody so I didn't deal with him but man what a dirt bag......I guess I got lucky in the random choice I made to go with somebody else..
Old 06/15/2006, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

That's disgraceful. I hope RC mods track down his IP and ban him from the boards. Though that likely won't do much, it's a start. Possibly a sticky warning in various forums linking to this thread would help, too.
Old 06/15/2006, 09:21 PM
Hmmmm...

I would like to also say beware of Tangey from a buyers perspective. He does NOT know how to ship corals. I purchased 250 dollars worth of zoanthids that were supposed to come over night and he then shipped them out 2 day because of a fault he made. The zoanthids were packed for 1 day (and I am 1h 30minutes away from him) and he promised me they would be overnight. Then... he sends me a message.... "Oh, it will not be overnight, they told me that it wouldn't be overnight from Columbus to Cleveland".

The zoanthids I got from him were in BAD shape. He is one of only two shippers that I have ever lost zoanthids from. He then (after much time wasting conversation) sent me more frags. THOSE DIDN'T make it either... Now, it could be coincidence, but the same shipper, two times??? come on.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Ryan... things will catch up with you if you are not careful. I believe I warned you about that!
Old 06/15/2006, 10:16 PM
RC Mod

Those zoanthids are incredible!!! I'm glad you didn't send the jerk the replacement PPE's.
Old 06/15/2006, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

What a LOOSER!!!!!!!
Old 06/15/2006, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pazazz
What a LOOSER!!!!!!!
...'loser'

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 06/16/2006, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

lol
Old 06/16/2006, 04:47 AM
Moved On

that guy offered me a trade for those PPEs. he must have recently found out ow to steal photos because he wouldnt post photos at all for the longest time.

this guy is a total embarassment.
Old 06/16/2006, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

hey copps, did you post on the other reef forum about him? I hope so
Old 06/16/2006, 08:50 AM
Zoa Color Pirate

HAHAHAHA I'm glad I saw this! he Pm'd me about getting on my list for a PPE frag. Looks like his name is being crossed off the list.

People should be really careful not to screw someone over on these boards when they want to activly trade.

Copps, Did you send him a link to this thread as well in your PM?
Old 06/16/2006, 10:55 AM
Moved On

Sorry to hear that. I know that frags..
Anyway he is one of the worst guy in RC.
But think most of people here is good people.
I am so pleased with your frags.. John..
Old 06/16/2006, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

that os terrible. And for someone like me that had been after the joker ppe for such a long time, its terrible. Some would lov just to have apolyp or too to keep with pride, others just see money. There is always one in a crowd
Old 06/16/2006, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

dude I've also been looking for some true PPE for months

I hope this guy never shows his face in the reefing community gain.
Old 06/16/2006, 11:52 AM
Garbologist

I think the point has been made.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."