Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/07/2008, 11:37 PM
Tank Collector

You werent kidding when you said it was well packed.... I didnt think it was going to be that big based on the box....

The construction on it is VERY nice IMO.... I think it's built nicer than the old ER I had.... Seams look really good, nice and sturdy, cant wait to get some numbers off it.

My only complaint is they couldve used better tubing, but other than that, VERY nicely made....
Old 01/08/2008, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badazztealcobra
Cant wait to get this thing into some water.....

How do those 5 pieces on the table in front of the skimmer work? I got mine today and can't figure out what to do with the restrictors and the clear plug like tube thing.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

The clear plug goes on the nipple at the bottom of the collection cup. Or if you're going to drain it off to a bigger collection container, set that plug aside in case you need it someday.

The gray plastic tubes go in the small holes drilled into the side of the pump intake. I've got mine so that the squared off end goes through the hole and the tubing connects to the end with the angle.

The plastic discs go into the pump intake. But watch them when you shut the pump off - the back flow from the skimmer tends to push them out and they'll float around your sump.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Well, i got my skimmer all put together now and when I plugged in the pumps....nothing. I proceeded to unplug and plug them in again and this time one of the pumps made a little bit of noise, but no movement. So i unplugged and plugged again and the one pump that made a little bit of noise started working, but still nothing from the other pump yet. Any ideas?
Old 01/08/2008, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

I had to work on spinning the gray plate at the bottom of the pump until I got it into a position where the impellar wanted to spin.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Does the impeller has a ceramic shaft? If none, maybe you might need to help it spin by blowing air in the air line/hose. That was what others been doing in the ATI scce pump.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

I got my Xtreme 200 today and the front (intake side) impeller bearing needed to be pushed into the volute cover a little more. The backside of the impeller was hanging up on the pump housing. Once the impeller was free wheeling good, I blew some air down the tube to prime it and the pump started right up.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Well, I tried starting both pumps again and neither would go. I blew air into both of them and one started right up for about 10 seconds and then stopped. Now they just both make a little hum when plugged in. It seems as though they are hung up on something as they seem to lurch a little bit when initially plugged in. I was really pumped about getting this skimmer and having it not work is a bit of a bummer. Hopefully I can figure this out soon.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:13 AM
One Good Friend

Plug it in then give the male thread a little move like you opening it up....just a bit, it'll fire right up hopefully. Sicce's are very sensitive
Old 01/09/2008, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

those Sicce pump can pull without problem 53 SCFH each pump just need to know how to mod the mesh on them.

also from some picture i saw here before don't push the gray air intake all the way it's restrict the flow and the air , 2-3mm inside it's enough.

for better performance to try to mount the pump straight up ,the inlet facing to the bottom (be sure the inlet have space from the bottom) .
Old 01/09/2008, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

It appears as though the mesh is touching the housing for the pump. They really put a lot of mesh on mine to correct the issue with the orinigal skimmers, but maybe now it is too much.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

Neither pump would fire up on mine either so I loosened the bottom and now they work fine. I can see some bubbles and water escaping as it is not seated completely, but if I push it in anymore it chatters and stops. It is only a small amount escaping but I would prefer none, maybe that is just the way they are. Also the flow restrictor can be held in place by wrapping a little pipe tape around it until it fits snugly. I have only had it running since last night so no skimmate yet, the foam has concentrated thickly though and the sides are getting coated. I closed the outlet pipe a bit to raise the water level so I'm sure it will produce as soon as it breaks in.

Last edited by smatter; 01/09/2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

Old 01/09/2008, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smatter
Neither pump would fire up on mine either so I loosened the bottom and now they work fine. I can see some bubbles and water escaping as it is not seated completely, but if I push it in anymore it chatters and stops. It is only a small amount escaping but I would prefer none, maybe that is just the way they are. Also the flow restrictor can be held in place by wrapping a little pipe tape around it until it fits snugly. I have only had it running since last night so no skimmate yet, the foam has concentrated thickly though and the sides are getting coated. I closed the outlet pipe a bit to raise the water level so I'm sure it will produce as soon as it breaks in.
What do you mean by "loosened the bottom"?
Old 01/09/2008, 04:48 PM
One Good Friend

He turned the volute cover like he was going to open it. Thats sometimes the answer with the sicce's, that and blowing in the tube when they are rattling, or sticking your hand over the input.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Im goint to a sump setup from my current sumpless setup, i have a MCE 600 that is doing well, but i am wondering if the Xtreme200 would be better in terms of skimmate quality and quanity than just placing my MCE 600 in-sump. If so i think i could sell the MCE 600 and cover most of the costs of the Xtreme 200.
Deltecs web site really bashes mesh wheels. Are they reliable enough o ronce tweaked need constant attention?
Also any other skimmer suggestions in the $300-$400 range?
Anybody looking for a used MCE 600 ?
Tank specs 72 gal bowfront and i am planning on a 50 gallon rubbermaid sump.Mixed reef , mh 250w lighting,wavy sea,T4 pump, etc...
Old 01/09/2008, 05:38 PM
Tank Collector

Quote:
How deep in the water do you have the skimmer ??? Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but it doesnt look to deep ??
Old 01/09/2008, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

The water is so clear now you can't even see it It is in a little over 6 inches of water. The intakes on the pumps are a good 1.5" under water so there's no vortex. I'm going to get a lower platform for it so rests at 8". It seems to be working fine, do you think I would get better performance at greater depth?
Old 01/09/2008, 06:50 PM
I LIVE IN A PINEAPPLE....

Has anyone just plugged one of these in and they worked out of the box? Seems like alot of ppl are having to tweak these things just to get them to work, kinking hose,not starting,unscrew this to get it to, ???????

Where's all the "OMG this skimmer rocks thread"

After they were "pumped up" for the last two months by a few reefers....cough...cough... I figured there would be more positive threads on these.
GEO 6x18 Calcium Reactor
GEO Kalk Reactor
Aquactinics 2x250 12k Reeflux w/ 216 watts Blue+ T5's
210 lbs. Gulf-Keys-Fiji LR
50 lbs. LS
Old 01/09/2008, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

we Just barely got them, they havent even broken in yet, and mine worked right out of the box. (250)
Old 01/09/2008, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

I have to admit it was a total anticlimax when I had it all set up and got nothing when I plugged it in. The customer support I have received has been excellent. I got two separate phone calls, one from Canada and one from Ohio. Some detailed instructions with troubleshooting and maintenance need to accompany the diagram. It will save them a lot of phone calls.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:13 PM
Tank Collector

Quote:
The water is so clear now you can't even see it It is in a little over 6 inches of water. The intakes on the pumps are a good 1.5" under water so there's no vortex. I'm going to get a lower platform for it so rests at 8". It seems to be working fine, do you think I would get better performance at greater depth?
They're supposed to be in 8-10" of water, I do think it will make a pretty big difference for you.... I cant wait to get mine up and running.... Just taking awhile to get my setup together.....

As for no posts about these rocking, they've been in our systems for less than a week.... Of course there's not going to be a million posts about them....
Old 01/09/2008, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Alright, I loosened them both up and bit and they are working now. Things looked to be going along well, the bubbles were halfway up the neck, so I decided to help things out a bit by dumping the skimmate from another skimmer into the water I'm using to break in the MSX250. INSTANT explosion of bubbles and massive overflowing. Is there any way to control the water level with these? How can I control how wet or dry I'm skimming?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soulfigter
Alright, I loosened them both up and bit and they are working now. Things looked to be going along well, the bubbles were halfway up the neck, so I decided to help things out a bit by dumping the skimmate from another skimmer into the water I'm using to break in the MSX250. INSTANT explosion of bubbles and massive overflowing. Is there any way to control the water level with these? How can I control how wet or dry I'm skimming?
Spin the gray PVC outlet. The part that rotates has an arrow on it - the part attached to the skimmer has stickers that say "open" and "closed". Turn it to open for a wetter skim, closed for a more dry skim.

I had mine set to "open" and after a few hours there was stuff in the collection cup - and I won't even have a bioload until my rock comes in tomorrow. Turned that thing down pretty quick...
Old 01/09/2008, 10:19 PM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by soulfigter
Although its fun to watch when you dump in skimmate, good skimmers can pick it up like a shark to blood. Bad things happen when you do that and then leave for an hour! lol.........especially when its a hot Ever see a skimmer grow brown ears out the top then long brown hair to the floor! Not fun to explain to the wifey.