Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Pseudanthias hawaiiensis

Anyone keeping these guys, experiences? Thanks.

- Dave
Old 12/28/2007, 02:15 AM
Hydrophilic

Essentially the same fish as P. ventralis. Very sensitive little fish- difficult to get one that has been collected properly (they tend to come from deeper water and dont take depressurization well). Tough to get them to eat, and keep eating. They tend to be quite shy too- rarely venturing far from protected rocks/caves in a tank.

Beautiful little fish, but not a good choice for most people IMO.

Have Some Personal Accountability
Old 12/28/2007, 03:40 AM
Registered Member

Beautiful anthias thats related to P. Ventralis.Its on my list of anthias I admire from afar.To difficult for me to even try.I worked way to hard to get a tuka to eat,sure don't want to go through that again.

Good luck with one,if thats your plan.

Anthias junky,keeping:dispars,carberryi,bartelettorum,evansi,squamipinnis,tuka, pulcherrimus, paravirostris
Old 12/28/2007, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Nevermind. wrong forum
Old 12/28/2007, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

i dont now the last time some entered the US. no one gets them on Oahu (to deep) but there is one guy in Kona that gets them (that i know of) but his collection practices are not very good. they come in OK but usually dont eat and then slowly die. Females do tend to do better then males though (Charles Delbeek at the waikiki aquarium also said this)

if you can find some that eat, keep them in a very docile tank with low lighting.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

These fish are a huge pain. They are very difficult to decompress, and often break down within a day or two of capture even if everything seemed OK. I've gotten maybe a 50/50 survival rate, which is pretty depressing. They're very skittish in the wild and are really difficult to catch, even in areas where they're abundant.

They are also terrible shippers. Heaven only knows how many of them actually make it to the hands of hobbyists.

The biggest reason why they're never collected is that there are too many cheap ventralis anthias coming from the rest of the Pacific, which drives down the value of the Hawaiian anthais. Collecting them takes far more effort than the fish are worth. I think that, with practice, it'd be possible to collect them with decent survival rates, but right now there's little incentive for us to try.

Definitely agree with Zemuron on males vs females. Males are really tweaky and will suddenly die for no reason - I've seen them drop dead while still in the catch bucket. As with any species that's sensitive to decompression problems, smaller fish do a lot better than big ones. If you're really set on a male, the females will change sex if you get more than one (Waikiki Aquarium has one that's in the process of becoming male right now).

After they're "over the hump" (so to speak) they're actually pretty easy to keep. Good luck getting to that point, though.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

check this out....
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ight=ventralis