Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

i have the current , not extreme, retro t5 lights. w/ the 6 lamp bracket.

i have 3 of the current fixtures.. (on a basically empty tank)

this leaves 3 spots for fairly easy mounting of more lights...

if i use my currents as supplemental lighting, for a more powerfull set of other t5s...

what 3 should i use for a aga 75 with a very small amount of sps. my goal is one branching and a couple plates...

i know thats a broad open ended question... but iv really no idea about what would work well.

would an ice cap 660 suit this situation, would it be overkill? if so , which would be better suited?
Old 12/05/2007, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

lemme rephrase my question.

im looking for 48" t5 bulbs. 3 of them

in the 10k range. as i will be using 28w t5s for actinic and maybe daylight.

so, were what 3? and can you throw in a ballast suggestion for the 3?

thanks.
Old 12/06/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

ATI powermodules or ICE Cap VHOs?

I was told that the ATI powermodules put out as much light as the ICE Cap VHOs without overdriving thereby saving more electricity and extending the life of the bulbs

What do you think Grim? Do you have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Stil
Old 12/06/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

ATI powermodules or ICE Cap VHOs?

I was told that the ATI powermodules put out as much light as the ICE Cap VHOs without overdriving thereby saving more electricity and extending the life of the bulbs

Thanks,
Stil
Old 12/06/2007, 04:58 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by Altpers0na
lemme rephrase my question.

im looking for 48" t5 bulbs. 3 of them

in the 10k range. as i will be using 28w t5s for actinic and maybe daylight.

so, were what 3? and can you throw in a ballast suggestion for the 3?

thanks.
Sounds like your current fixtures are NO instead of HO so only use those for blue/actinic.

For the 10K lamps use 1 UVL Aquasun, 1 ATI Aquablue (nearly white light) and a Blue Plus, Trust me, you will be glad you used the blue lamp. The aquasun has a slightly red hue to it so the blue washes that out. The Blue Plus also has a lot of PAR so its a good thing.

Ballast is a little tricky. I would use an Ice Cap 660 if it were me. It can run 3 lamps and they wil be overdriven. You do need to use a couple fans to cool the lamps but you really should if you dont overdrive too. Other option would be a workhorse 7 ballast, not may fav but it will work.
Old 12/06/2007, 05:02 PM

Re: ATI powermodules or ICE Cap VHOs?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stilgore

Thanks,
Stil
It's going to be close. I think the overdriven unit will have more intensity but not that much more. The powermodule has a great cooling scheme and silvercoat reflectors.
Old 12/06/2007, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Hey grim I have a 4 bulb t5 setup with an icecap 660 ballast with individual reflectors. I like the color it puts out. Is there a way I can get more pop out of my corals and a more blue tint without sacrificing any growth of my corals. Its a mixed 75 gallon standard reef sps top, lps mid to bottom. current config. blue plus-aquasun-super atinic-blue plus. Can I change the aquasun out for something else any info would be great.
Thanks.
Old 12/07/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Hi Grim
I've been trying to figure out a good T5 option for a 36x25tall tank. Its mostly SPS, and I asked previously about the ultrasolaris and Powermodule. The FM is no longer carried by AO and is now very expensive with the new distributor, and the Powermod has a 2-3 month wait, possibly longer. Other than retrofitting, is there another pendant that would work at this depth?

If there isnt anything, I have been considering making a hanging canopy to house 6 T5s and overdriving 4 of them. Do you think an acrylic enclosure would hold up to the heat, or should I consider another material? Thanks as always.
Old 12/07/2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by speeddemonlsr
Hey grim I have a 4 bulb t5 setup with an icecap 660 ballast with individual reflectors. I like the color it puts out. Is there a way I can get more pop out of my corals and a more blue tint without sacrificing any growth of my corals. Its a mixed 75 gallon standard reef sps top, lps mid to bottom. current config. blue plus-aquasun-super atinic-blue plus. Can I change the aquasun out for something else any info would be great.
Thanks.
You could try a aquablue instead. I don't care for that look but it might be just what your after.
Old 12/07/2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grundig5
Hi Grim
I've been trying to figure out a good T5 option for a 36x25tall tank. Its mostly SPS, and I asked previously about the ultrasolaris and Powermodule. The FM is no longer carried by AO and is now very expensive with the new distributor, and the Powermod has a 2-3 month wait, possibly longer. Other than retrofitting, is there another pendant that would work at this depth?

If there isnt anything, I have been considering making a hanging canopy to house 6 T5s and overdriving 4 of them. Do you think an acrylic enclosure would hold up to the heat, or should I consider another material? Thanks as always.
You telling me Fauna Marine increased the price of the fixture even more? They were already overpriced.

If you are going to overdrive I would be worried about acrylic. I would stick to wood myself but if properly vented acrylic would probably be fine.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
You could try a aquablue instead. I don't care for that look but it might be just what your after.
Is there any reason why dont like "that look" im assuming that your talking about the blue tint to the tank? Is there any other choices I have on a bulb choice without again sacrificeing my sps growth?

Edit to bulb conf(double checked when I got home)
Front
blue plus
super atinic
aqua sun
blue plus

Again thanks for all your help in this thread.
Old 12/08/2007, 02:16 AM
Registered Member

Yeah...I gasp to tell you the price I was quoted for the 6x39 ultrasolaris. Lets just say its 4 digits.
Old 12/08/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

Grim,

I've got an 30long (36") utilizing an IC660 and 4x39 t5s, housing only LPS and zoanthids.

Would this be a good bulb combination:

blue+
UVL SA
pro color
blue+

Thanks for your time.

Garrett.
Old 12/08/2007, 01:42 PM
Premium Member

I just have to put out a big THANK YOU to Grimm again. I've been "fine tuning" my T5 setup for a while now and I think I finally got it where I want it. My color is AMAZING and growth is easily as good and probably better than when I had MH. I still miss the "shimmer" of MH somewhat, but I'm looking at adding UV free halogen lights for accent.

Here's where I was and now where I am:
Previously
Main Tank
2x175w 10K Ushio MH
1x65w PC actinic

Frag Tank
1x96w 50/50 PC
1x65w Actinic

NOW
Front Tank (F->B)
39w T5 Geissmann Actinic Plus
39w T5 UVL 50/50
75w VHO UVL Super Actinic
39w T5 GE 6500
39w T5 ATI Blue+

Frag Tank
24w T5 Hagen GLO Marine
24w T5 Hagen GLO Life

The only reason I went with GLO lights is they were available and I was basically "testing" it out. I must say I like the combination and the results have been great in just three weeks.

So, I lower my power consumption, removed heat, increased growth and color and saved space. I'd say that's a win-win-win-win situation. Anyone thinking of going with T5s should do it unless they are "hooked" on the MH shimmer. And, if you have an IC660 ballast like me, then think about adding a VHO actinic. It takes up only 1.1" in the setup and adds TONS of actinic color.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by speeddemonlsr
Is there any reason why dont like "that look" im assuming that your talking about the blue tint to the tank? Is there any other choices I have on a bulb choice without again sacrificeing my sps growth?

Edit to bulb conf(double checked when I got home)
Front
blue plus
super atinic
aqua sun
blue plus

Again thanks for all your help in this thread.
If you pull the aquasun you are losing most of the red and yellow spectrum. It tends to make yelow critters look dirty and reds look more purple. You could try using the aquablue in place of the Aquasun and use a UVL 75/25 in place of the Super Actinic. That would be an overall net gain in PAR although you may lose a slight amount of fluorescence. If you have a lot of SPS that might be worth a try.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grundig5
Yeah...I gasp to tell you the price I was quoted for the 6x39 ultrasolaris. Lets just say its 4 digits.
Cough*Gag*Snicker Other people invest in gold, I bough an FM fixture
Old 12/08/2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gastone
Grim,

I've got an 30long (36") utilizing an IC660 and 4x39 t5s, housing only LPS and zoanthids.

Would this be a good bulb combination:

blue+
UVL SA
pro color
blue+

Thanks for your time.

Garrett.
Should be fine.
Old 12/08/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

can you give me a light combo for the 4x54

thanks
Old 12/08/2007, 05:09 PM

Front
blue plus
super atinic
aqua sun
blue plus
Old 12/08/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Grim,
If I am looking to get the highest PAR from a bulb, what Kelvin temp. yields the highest in t-5 HO bulbs? Any brand you would recommend for the highest PAR? The organisms are from shallow waters.
Old 12/08/2007, 07:18 PM

UVL Aquasun is the best. Then the GE 6500K Daylight and the Aquablues.
Old 12/08/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for your quick response. I will check into those bulbs.
Old 12/09/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Hi Grim,

I would like you valuable input and help with my current dilemma.

My tank size is 30" wide x 25" tall x 65" long.

I am trying to decide on one of two set ups.

1. Go with two 400w MH with 20K Helios and supplement with
six 48" T5.

My question for this set up is:

1. what T5 bulbs brings out the pinks and reds in acros

2. what T5 light combo would you reccomend for this setup?

Or, should I go with all T5s--If you think one would get better colors than MH?

1. How many T5 bulbs and what inch 48" or 60"?

2. What combo T5 to help bring out rich blues, purples, reds, and
pinks in acros?

Thank you for you time and insight!!!
Old 12/09/2007, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

hey grim what is the best site to buy lights?

thanks
Old 12/09/2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vt4lifecuf
hey grim what is the best site to buy lights?

thanks
Reefgeek,com generally has the best price and selection