Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 12:20 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by kannorsk
I just got my 65 gallon 39lx19wx24 high aquarium.

I'm going bare bottom, most likely just sps corals and a 3-4 fish.

I want to put together my own light system and fans, unfortunately, there are thousands of t5 threads to read through so here goes.

1.) How many t5HO bulbs for this tank and your choice, +/or any overdriving? Plus, what is your recommended daily lighting sequence and times for the chosen bulbs?

2.) Instead of cleaning the lights and endcaps from the saltwater spray, is there any material (ie. glass or acrylic) to put between the lights and water to clean instead? And that doesn't screw up the light output's PAR.

3.) Who makes the best retrofit reflector's for t5's?

Thanks.
I would hit reefgeek and get 1 4x39 watt Ice Cap overdriven system and 1 2x39 watt standard retro with Ice Cap reflectors.

Run the 2 lamp kit as dusk/dawn and the overdriven sett as the mains.

You can use acrylic for a splash shield. It will cut about 10% of the light.

For lamps try this

Front
UVL Super Actinic (normally driven)
Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus (normally driven)
Old 12/01/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Reef, U da man.
Old 12/01/2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grundig5
I use 8x24 T5s on my current cube tank and would like to use T5s on my next tank. It will be 36long x 24tall. I keep 95% SPS, much of it higher light demanding acros. I will not have a canopy, so I have been looking at the 6x39 Ultrasolaris and the Powermodule. Would either of these fixtures work with 24" depth? Thanks for your help, it is definately appreciated.
Go with the powermodule.
Old 12/01/2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFeST
I've been thinking of getting the 60" icecap retrofit kit from reefgeek, but there is a much smaller selection of bulbs to order at that size. My choices are:

ATI:
12000K Aquablue
Blue Plus
Pro Color
True Actinic 03

GE:
3000K Daylight
6500K Daylight

Giesemann:
6000K Midday Sun
11000K Aquablue
Actinic Plus
Pure Actinic 03

My hood has barely enough room for 6 bulbs with individual reflectors, but I think I'm going to start out at 4 and add as I need. My tank is still in the planning stages, I'm just trying to figure this all out. I think 4 overdriven 80w t-5s will be plenty for a 100 gallon tank with mostly softies and a few LPS. I was originally just going to just choose a 4 bulb combination from somewhere in this thread, but I have yet to find a combo that will work for me using the bulbs I have available. My stealth forum lurking tactics have failed me and thus I have to ask the question that 500 other people have asked so far: What bulb combo should I use? Using only those above, of course. No super actinics =

And btw, I'm not actually new here, I just forgot my password to my old account. Or it got deleted, It's been over a year since I last posted here.
For four lamps I would try this

Front
Blue Plus
GE 6500K
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Old 12/01/2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acrouse
Grim-at the beginning of November I posted on where to find a good T5 fixture 72". You suggested Aquatinics Constellation 14 bulb fixture. I looked at it and price was around $645.00. Was going to order after Christmas. Today I go back to website to look again and the same fixture is now $949.00. Thats a $300.00 increase in 20 days. Do you have any other suggestions where I can find a 72" fixture? That does not seem like a fair increase to me!! Is the fixture worth the increase??

thanks jolene
I suspect you looked at the 48" Constellation when you fisrt checked the price. As far as I know the 72" unit has always been around 900 bux. I don't know of another good 72" T5 fixture.
Old 12/01/2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by painkiller1009
Im going to keep 1 of my GE 6500k bubls and try with the combo below. I want it to glow a little.
Just placed my order for
UVL Aquasun 10,000k
UVL Super Actinic 420nm
ATI Blue Plus

Grimm you think that will give a nice 14k look or higher?
Maybe around 14K. Just slightly blue.
Old 12/01/2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jond
Grim - I went with T5s on my new 280 back in March and have been very pleased. I can't remember the frequency that the bulbs should be changed?

Also, my current configuration is as follows:

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Aquablue
GE 3000K Call reefgeek for this lamp or use a UVL Aquasun
ATI Aquablue
GE 6500K Daylight
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Blue Plus

Are there any changes you would reccomend? I do find the center/left of my tank to be somewhat yellow. Is this from the 3000K?

Thanks for the help!
Change the lamps at around 1 year. I would drop the GE 3000 in favor of a ATI Pro Color but thats about it.
Old 12/01/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Re: T5 setup for 50 Bow

It will be tight but the 39 watt lamps will fit into a 36" space.

For lamps try

Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Aquablue (or for a more blue look Blue Plus)
Mr. Grim - I finally got my lights delivered, tested them out (fantastic) and am mounting to the canopy as soon as i finish the 90000th coat of polyurethane... question .... i am worried about frying my existing corals (mushrooms only) and fish as they are under NO light strips now. what are your thoughts on how i should acclimate my livestock to their new sun?

thanks again
david
Old 12/01/2007, 01:02 PM

Throw a few layers of window screen over the tank and pull one each week to ten days.
Old 12/01/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

As always....thanks for the help!
Old 12/01/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

I asked this question before, didn't know there was T5 thread.

I built a tank 8" deep by 3'X6', I want to grow out a bunch of frags.

Two questions, I was thinking about using a bunch of T5's not sure how many or high above the water they should be mounted?
Old 12/01/2007, 02:40 PM

Its going to take a lot of T5's to cover such a large footprint. 12 39 watt lamps about 6" above the water is what I would use.
Old 12/01/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

So you're suggesting putting them across the width I suppose not the length?

What type bulbs?
Old 12/01/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Grim,

Thanks so much for all you do, I have learned a lot over the past 3 weeks educating myself. The weird thing is that I cannot find a post describing my situation. Everybody seems worried about SPS where as I have no ambition for them. I have softies as well as several LPS in my 72 gallon bow. I bought the tank used and all is well. The lights are 48" T5 4x54. The bulbs it came with are due for replacement. What 4 bulb combo will make the colors pop as well as give the LPS plenty of what they need without irking the softies. I have lots of corals with the colors being red, green, purple, blue and orange so far. Thanks again for all you do on here, it truly has been a pleasure reading all the posts and replies.
Old 12/01/2007, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Good point, for SPS under the bulb 4x54 overdriven (and shoved together) would probably be better than 6x54 normal. I am also considering a move to the darkside (MH) using the T5s for supplemental.

I know at one point you too had MH, what brought you back?

Decision, decisions, decisions...
Old 12/01/2007, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

What bulbs would you recomend for a 5 lamp overdriven with an icecap? I want to keep some sps but still get a nice blue touch.

Thanks
Old 12/01/2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by reefly
So you're suggesting putting them across the width I suppose not the length?

What type bulbs?
I would do a 50/50 mix of Aquasun and blue plus lamps. You can either run the lamps side by side to cover the length ot front to back, which ever works best for you
Old 12/01/2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hockeycoach19
Grim,

Thanks so much for all you do, I have learned a lot over the past 3 weeks educating myself. The weird thing is that I cannot find a post describing my situation. Everybody seems worried about SPS where as I have no ambition for them. I have softies as well as several LPS in my 72 gallon bow. I bought the tank used and all is well. The lights are 48" T5 4x54. The bulbs it came with are due for replacement. What 4 bulb combo will make the colors pop as well as give the LPS plenty of what they need without irking the softies. I have lots of corals with the colors being red, green, purple, blue and orange so far. Thanks again for all you do on here, it truly has been a pleasure reading all the posts and replies.
Front
Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus

Should be fine
Old 12/01/2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by barjam
Good point, for SPS under the bulb 4x54 overdriven (and shoved together) would probably be better than 6x54 normal. I am also considering a move to the darkside (MH) using the T5s for supplemental.

I know at one point you too had MH, what brought you back?

Decision, decisions, decisions...
The T5's looked better to me. They bring out the detail in the rocks and give the aquarium depth that the halides didnt.
Old 12/01/2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn D
What bulbs would you recomend for a 5 lamp overdriven with an icecap? I want to keep some sps but still get a nice blue touch.

Thanks
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Old 12/01/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Would a 2 bulb vho ballst drive t5s the same as a t5ho ballast?
Old 12/01/2007, 06:49 PM

No.
Old 12/01/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

What is your opinion on an Ocean Light t5 fixture quality and flexibility?

here is the link I am looking at:
http://www.customaquatic.com/customa...keyresult5.asp
Old 12/01/2007, 09:08 PM

Bad link but the ocean light is just blahhh. No individual reflectors
Old 12/01/2007, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

I was at my local Petland today and they had a hagen t5ho display that included fixtures, bulbs, and reflectors. FYI