Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 07:28 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
Ok, today I did a dumb thing..

First of all, my tank is 180 gallons, with the 72" Constellation from Aquactinics...I have it on a pulley system about 2 inches above the tank, so that I can get it out of the way to work on the tank as this is an inwall tank and I can only work from the back...SO, I have been contemplating my bulb color for awhile and I had added the GE3000K bulb in the mix some time ago and taken out one of the 2 GE 6500Ks I had in there to see what that would do...decided I really don't like that... too pink and not enough flourescing...Have pretty well decided that I need more blue... but before I order new bulbs, decided to just put the oringinal GE6500K back in, take out the GE3000k and see what it looked like...now....... I can't actually take the fixture down off the tank as it is all attached to the pulleys with some kind of things my husband found... all I can do is life it up.. so just picture me trying to unscrew the lens coverand take it all the way off,, not drop any screws into the tank, then take out both GE3000s without dropping them in the tank and then install the GE6500ks without dropping them in the tank... all while standing up on a 5 foot step ladder on the top rung...what a fiasco!!! AND guess WHAT???? I HATE THE COLOR even more now...it reminded me of why I added the GE3000K in the first place!!! It is way tooooo whilte... NO colors are popping now and I am so mad at myself...because I almost killed myself trying to take out and install the other bulbs...UGH!!!

This is now my configuation which is what I originally started the tank with in August and I do not like it AT ALL!!! All the rocks which are getting a nice coralline covering on them now look white and all the corals look awful...why do I ALWAYS do dumb things,. At least with the GE3000s in there I had some n ice pinks, reds and not all WHITE>>>>> Now I will have to go through that bulb fiasco again when I get new bulbs...

front
ATI blue plus
Uvl Super actinic
GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K
Ati blue Plus
Ati Aquablue

I have been looking at tank after tank and most of the tanks whose color I love are using a mix of ATi Blue plus and ATI Aquablue ( in the "show me tanks with T5s" threads)with maybe some Procolors in there or something else to pop the reds and yellows...

anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I am sure, Grim, that you would like to toss me out to sea about now.
Hmmmm, falling off top rung and breaking neck,,,,,,,,,, I think you should put the 3000K's back in

front
ATI blue plus
Uvl Super actinic
GE 6500K change to UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Change to UVL Aquasun
Ati blue Plus
Ati Aquablue

Try that. The UVL lamps are slightly orange/pink, not nearly as much red as the GE 3000K but will have enough to bring out your pink colors better than the GE 6500K lamps. That mix is going to look nice. Not sure if it will be exactly what you are looking for but it is going to be close at least. After that you are just going to have to decide if you want to play with the look any further.
Old 12/14/2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dobber99
Trying to decide between Reef Geek's 4x54 watts powered by an Icecap 660 (overdirven) or their standard 4x54 watts standard driven retro kit for actinic supplementation. Currently running 2x150 watt 10k HQI PFO pendants and 4x110 watt VHO super actinic R's on a 4Lx24Hx30D Tank. Mostly SPS and zoa's. The rep at Reef Geek recomended 3 ATI blue plus with one ATI actinic to get the look I want. Currently the tank looks to white even with 4 VHO actinics due to the light being reflected back to the ceiling. Would the standard kit do the job or do I need to overdrive with the 660 icecap?
Get the normally driven Ice Cap set up. Has the better reflectors but standard ballasts. The lamp selection the geek ordered is what I would go with. Should look nice. You might order an extra actinic (either UVL or ATI brand) so you can see if a 50/50 mix of blue and actinic is more to your liking and that way you have a spare lamp in case of any unfortunate incidents.
Old 12/14/2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blide
Thanks for the response...

I'm really wanting to move away from the MH though and just go with T5's to save on electricty, heat, and etc. So I guess my question was really what 4 bulb combo should I use to get a 14K - 20K look.

The tank is ricordia dominate and has some LPS and and nice pink birdsnest (which needs a 14K look to give off that pink glow).
Ahhhh, Now Grim Understand

Get the 4x24 Ice Cap retro with the standard ballasts (HO version)

For lamps try this
Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Blue Plus

Should pop all them critters, the Aquasun has a bit of reddish spectrum so the pink should still come out good.
Old 12/14/2007, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Great thanks for info... Take care

I'll be sure to post some pic's when I get it up and running.
Old 12/14/2007, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Grim... funny funny I am not changing out any more bulbs until I am sure what i am doing...lol

Ok, but if I add the Aquasuns in... isn't that a 10000K bulb so won't that just be more white? I want all the colors to POP and flouresce..., reds, pinks, blues, purples, greens,. yellows...etc..like the tank that the guy LUNAR has...or the guy Figiblue, but with a little more blue than his...
Old 12/14/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

in other words am I wanting more BLUE in my lighting?
Old 12/14/2007, 09:19 PM

The GE's are slightly yellow, the Aquasuns a little more orange which might give you a slightly less amount or percieved blue light but if you want pink to stand out gotta have it. I really think you will be happier using the Aquasuns but go with your gut. Could even split the difference and do one of each.
Old 12/14/2007, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

but how do I get more BLUE and show off all of the other colors also?
Old 12/14/2007, 09:26 PM
Master of Funk

I'm getting ready to wire the ballasts in my new canopy. I only have the wires from the endcaps running up through the top. Its an 8 x 55w running off four ballasts.

How would you wire the bulbs? Would you run the ballasts so the run pairs of bulbs side by side, or from the out side in? Heres a diagram of my thoughts...

Back
front

or

back
front

#2 seems like the logical choice. Am I missing anything?
Old 12/14/2007, 10:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Cozen,

have any Full tank pics of your tank?
You can find a FTS in this link.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1271309

This is with all 6 bulbs on.

front
blue plus
aquablue special
procolor
blue plus
superactinic
aquablue special

To me the colors look blown out with all 6 bulbs on because it is so bright.

My tank measures 60x18x16 high
Old 12/15/2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
but how do I get more BLUE and show off all of the other colors also?
Instead of using an aquablue at the rear use another blue plus.
Old 12/15/2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by poppin_fresh
I'm getting ready to wire the ballasts in my new canopy. I only have the wires from the endcaps running up through the top. Its an 8 x 55w running off four ballasts.

How would you wire the bulbs? Would you run the ballasts so the run pairs of bulbs side by side, or from the out side in? Heres a diagram of my thoughts...

Back
front

or

back
front

#2 seems like the logical choice. Am I missing anything?
I guess there really isn't a "right way".

I would probably do something like this myself but what you have for the 2nd one should be cool too.

3 Aquablue
2 blue
1 Actinic
4 Aquasun
1 Blue
4 Aquasun
3 blue
2 Aquablue

Really just playing but that could be a nice 4 stage setup

1 Actinic/blue: Nice dusk/dawn
2 Aquablue blue: Brighter but still subdued
3 Blue/Aquablue: just more intense
4 Aquasuns: Hello, the sun is out.
Old 12/15/2007, 02:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
I think I got everyone

you need to start charging 50 cents a post and a dollar if the same question was asked less than 3 pages ago...

thanks for all your input here. i think im a t5 pro now.

happy reefing

silly monkeys, give them thumbs, they make a club and beat their brother down
Old 12/15/2007, 02:23 AM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

thanks in advance,
so i'm going to add another two t5's to my 180, i'm planning to overdrive them on an icecap 430 as i am doing to the other two now running.

my question, is it worth the extra 20 per reflector to go with the icecap slr's over the tek2's?

im running the tek2's 5' currently, as i was unaware of the using two 39w reflector trick the first time around.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:27 AM
Master of Funk

Quote:

Really just playing but that could be a nice 4 stage setup

1 Actinic/blue: Nice dusk/dawn
2 Aquablue blue: Brighter but still subdued
3 Blue/Aquablue: just more intense
4 Aquasuns: Hello, the sun is out.
Thanks Grim,
Thats actually what I was trying to accomplish. I thought about using #4 as a midday setup for about the mid 4-5 hours of the day. i think my controller can actually vary these depending on the season too.
Old 12/15/2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigfruits
you need to start charging 50 cents a post and a dollar if the same question was asked less than 3 pages ago...

thanks for all your input here. i think im a t5 pro now.

happy reefing
I could retire
Old 12/15/2007, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Oh Mighty Grim,

We're upgrading to a standard 75g from a 40g breeder, its an LPS-dominant mixed reef. We are torn between a T5 4-bulb IceCap retrofit ("normal" HO) or a T5 2-bulb retro and a VHO 2-bulb retrofit. We already have the VHO equipment (PFO retrofit will run any two bulbs between 24 and 48 inches), but would have no problem buying a 4-bulb T5 retro if it allows us a lot more control over the color.

Is it worth it to completely switch to T5's? I'd rather not mess around with two different types of bulbs, but cost-savings is somewhat important.

Thanks,
Marty
Old 12/15/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Mr. Grim Reefer I have a question for your mind to ponder (not that it will take much to answer).

I have a 96"x30"x12" tank that I want to turn into a frag tank that is mainly SPS. To make it easier we'll just divide it into 48" sections.

What bulb combination would you suggest using two 2-bulb retrofits? Giesemann are the bulbs I'd like to use since I can get them at the same time as my retrofits from Sunlight Supply. Main goals are growth, growth, coloration, growth, and growth.

Thank you!
Old 12/15/2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fish'InMN
Oh Mighty Grim,

We're upgrading to a standard 75g from a 40g breeder, its an LPS-dominant mixed reef. We are torn between a T5 4-bulb IceCap retrofit ("normal" HO) or a T5 2-bulb retro and a VHO 2-bulb retrofit. We already have the VHO equipment (PFO retrofit will run any two bulbs between 24 and 48 inches), but would have no problem buying a 4-bulb T5 retro if it allows us a lot more control over the color.

Is it worth it to completely switch to T5's? I'd rather not mess around with two different types of bulbs, but cost-savings is somewhat important.

Thanks,
Marty
I would do 2 VHO Actinics and 4 T5's. The VHO Actinics are still the best so try something like this

Front
Blue Plus
VHO Actinic
UVL Aquasun
VHO Actinic
ATI Aquablue
Blue Plus
Old 12/15/2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by burks
Mr. Grim Reefer I have a question for your mind to ponder (not that it will take much to answer).

I have a 96"x30"x12" tank that I want to turn into a frag tank that is mainly SPS. To make it easier we'll just divide it into 48" sections.

What bulb combination would you suggest using two 2-bulb retrofits? Giesemann are the bulbs I'd like to use since I can get them at the same time as my retrofits from Sunlight Supply. Main goals are growth, growth, coloration, growth, and growth.

Thank you!
Do a 50-50 mix of Aquasun and ATI Blue Plus. The BP has prety good PAR and will bring out Blues good.
Old 12/15/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Get the normally driven Ice Cap set up. Has the better reflectors but standard ballasts. The lamp selection the geek ordered is what I would go with. Should look nice. You might order an extra actinic (either UVL or ATI brand) so you can see if a 50/50 mix of blue and actinic is more to your liking and that way you have a spare lamp in case of any unfortunate incidents.
Thanks grim, do you prefer icecap reflectors over the Tek II refelectors? I like the idea of ordering an extra bulb in case I don't like the look. Another question, if I over drive a 54watt T5 will it get as hot a 110watt VHO. Thanks
Old 12/15/2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Hey grim, I don't know if this question has been answered before, but it probably has.

If your tank is "deeper" than the depth of your lighting fixture, where do you recommend we place it. For instance, a 4 bulb fixture (~6")over a tank thats 12" deep. (front to back)

Place it centered over the tank? Front? Over the majority of corals?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12/15/2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dobber99
Thanks grim, do you prefer icecap reflectors over the Tek II refelectors? I like the idea of ordering an extra bulb in case I don't like the look. Another question, if I over drive a 54watt T5 will it get as hot a 110watt VHO. Thanks
Yep, according to Hahnmeister the Ice Caps have better output and aren't as wide. The T5's get hotter overdriven but they wont put out as much heat as VHO's.
Old 12/15/2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ooja3k
Hey grim, I don't know if this question has been answered before, but it probably has.

If your tank is "deeper" than the depth of your lighting fixture, where do you recommend we place it. For instance, a 4 bulb fixture (~6")over a tank thats 12" deep. (front to back)

Place it centered over the tank? Front? Over the majority of corals?

Thanks in advance!
Generally speaking centered is best.
Old 12/15/2007, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

Grim,
I am Gonna try another bulb config for my SPS dominated 150 (60x24x24) tank. I am looking for the best growth but want a slightly bluer look. I have a wide variety of SPS ranging in color from Purples to Greens to Pinks. Hows this for a config?

Front
Blue+
Super Actinic (dusk dawn)
Aquablue+
Blue + (dusk dawn)
Pro Color (replacing Giesmann 6000)
Blue + (dusk dawn)

Thank you for your input as always.

Brock
Mag 1300
Nitrate .8 (Hanna Test)
PO4 .01