Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/05/2007, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

Aquamend from Home depot

Can I use that to glue my torch underwater to a big rock
I can't take the rock out and that is the place that I want my torch please give me some advice this is the first coral that I need to attache

Kaboke
Old 07/05/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

I use Aquamend from HD all of the time to glue frags to rock. You will probably need to wedge the torch skeleton down in a hole in the rock or between rocks to secure it.
Old 07/05/2007, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

I used aquamend for most of my frags. It works pretty good but isn't the greatest,imo. It doesn't have much stick to it and you have to use more than i'd like to make sure you have a good stick between the coral and rock.
Old 07/05/2007, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

I use the Aquamend and super glue gel in a sandwich fashion. I get the Aquamend all ready then put a good glob of super glue gel on the bottom and some super glue gel on the top. I attach the coral to the top and then attach the whole thing to the main rock structure. The super glue gel really helps the Aquamend attach to the main rock structure better in my opinion.
Old 07/05/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

The superglue gel is that something that i can find in HD to ??
And can i use it underwater or is it better to buy some rubbel rock and attach it to a little piece of rock

Thanks for the help so far I really apprecied this

Kaboke
Old 07/05/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

slojmn,
Do you do that underwater? I thought the gel wouldn't work that way.
Old 07/05/2007, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

kaboke, You can get the super glue gel at HD, it just comes in small tubes and I blow through it, lol. I have a friend that picks up bigger tubes at TAP plastics from time to time for me.

sufunk, I put the glue on the Aquamend outside of the tank, I attach the coral outside of the water as well, then after it begins to set up a bit, 30 seconds or so I quickly put the whole thing in the water and smoosh it down in the desired spot. For larger pieces that may be heavier I have stood there holding the whole thing in place for 5+ minutes. I have also put larger rocks to anchor it down over night just to be sure it held. I did this with a larger colony that I placed out over space so there was a lot of stress on the glue/putty stuff. It worked like a charm .
Old 07/05/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

I used gel underwater for my last two pieces and it worked just fine, just gotta be quick and hold it for a few minuets, it helps if you twist it (the coral) also, to make sure it gets a good bond.
Mandarin Goby.
Old 07/05/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member.

I use superglue gel underwater with no problems. Just have to hold it there for like a minute.
Old 07/05/2007, 04:13 PM
Keeping It Real

Quote:
Originally posted by slojmn
I use the Aquamend and super glue gel in a sandwich fashion. I get the Aquamend all ready then put a good glob of super glue gel on the bottom and some super glue gel on the top. I attach the coral to the top and then attach the whole thing to the main rock structure. The super glue gel really helps the Aquamend attach to the main rock structure better in my opinion.
Ditto...

Its not a hobby... Its a way of life...
Old 07/05/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

I've used Aquamend on several frags in my tanks. It works very well for holding a shape, but I never use it as a substitute for glue. It only holds if it has something to lock into. I sometimes carve a groove into the skeleton/rock with a dremel so that the epoxy has something to grab. Other times the skeleton/rock has holes or a taper that allow the epoxy to hold them in place. If you use the epoxy in this way it will hold much better than superglue. Just try not to cover any living tissue with the epoxy.