Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/17/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Alveopora ( flowerpot Coral ) Question

Hi , I'm doing some research on a Alveopora ( daisy/ flowerpot coral )
mainly because its says that false percula clowns ( I have 2 in qaurantine till the end of july hoping for a pair ) are in direct association with them would this be something for a beginner to take care for ??
and what about my calcium level how can I raise it without messing around with my other waterparameters ???

This are my waterparameters tank is running since may 19
finisched cycling 3 days ago

Tank 29 g Bowfront
Temp 78
Ph 8.2
salinity 1.025
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 10
Calcium 320
Dkh 12

Kaboke
Old 06/17/2007, 04:12 PM
Slightly Obsessed

I would definitely keep your calcium higher than that. Around 400 is what I aim for.

As well, what does it mean that false percula clowns are in direct association with Alveopora? I had a goniopora; my clown attempted to host in it, and the coral reacted strongly. I'd be careful about that.
Old 06/17/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

If your reason to get an alveopora sp. coral is to host false percula clowns, I would recommend a frogspawn or hammer coral instead. Those two corals are hardier than any alveopora coral you're likely to obtain. Also, 3 day old cycled tank will still have alot of algae blooms ahead, which the alveopora coral may not respond favorably to.
Old 06/17/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanks I will do some research for a frogspawn instead
its not something I'm gone add directly I'm just trying to do some research for the different possibility's I now that my tank is still very joung

Kaboke
Old 06/18/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deanos
If your reason to get an alveopora sp. coral is to host false percula clowns, I would recommend a frogspawn or hammer coral instead. Those two corals are hardier than any alveopora coral you're likely to obtain. Also, 3 day old cycled tank will still have alot of algae blooms ahead, which the alveopora coral may not respond favorably to.
I agree, clowns sometimes are very tough on their host, I had a green goni for over 2 years and the clowns killed it by hosting it. Also my clowns host in my frogspawn, torch, xenia, green star polyps, for some reason they did not host a RBTA I had (go figure).
Here is a link to my clows hosting the torch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6G8dhpEtbM
Old 06/18/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

I have an alveopora and the clowns won't touch it. They are more interested in the frogspawn but haven't dove into it yet. The clowns killed my old goni too.
Old 06/19/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

I also recommend long polyped Leather Corals.
Old 06/19/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Alveoporas aren't the easiest corals for which to care, much less having some fish irritating them.

I'd wait for your tank to start growing coraline on the glass/rocks as a sign your tank is more ready to accept corals. You have a lot of algae blooms ahead of you (although I hope for your sake, not.)

I don't know out of personal experience, but I've heard some clowns like to host in Xenia Elongata. Anyone have any success?

Good luck. If you do decide to go with Alveopora, it's one of my favorites, absolutely stunning.