Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/30/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

tap water for qaurintine

is this aceptable or not I use ro/do for my 29g but I was thinking of using regular tapwater for the q tank
I now that I need to Q at least 5 to 6 weeks so for now I have a HOB filter on my tank so when my tank is done cycling I have a HOB ready to go on the Q tank the only thing is that I have 2 5g bottles to fill with RO/DO water and it is about an half hour drive to the closest dealer

so what do you think

Kaboke
Old 05/30/2007, 02:30 PM
Mouth Pipetting

I wouldn't do it.
Old 05/30/2007, 02:30 PM
reef obsessed

You could always go to your local grocery and by bottled. Distilled is probably the closest to pure RO/DI.
Old 05/30/2007, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

I get water from local grocery stores such as (Publix), they usually have a purifying machine close to the entrance and you can get 5 gallons for $1.50. I have all types of corals and have had no problems with this water.
Old 05/30/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Buy another container or 2 if you live that far away!! I like to keep 50% of my tanks volume on hand in case of Emergencies.
Old 05/30/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

are you really worried about algae in your qt? personally, i fill mine with ro/di, but that is just b/c i have it on hand. if not, i would probably just do it with buckets from the faucet.
Old 05/30/2007, 04:07 PM
Team RC Member

As long as it is conditioned. However, because there is sometimes copper in tap water, and I'd rather not expose a healthy fish to it if I have a choice, I'd make the trip to a grocery that has a water machine. It's ro/di. You're a bit at the mercy of their filter-change schedule, but it's generally good.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 05/30/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

chlorine gets depleated from tap water after 72 hours...so that's really not biggie...and i wouldn't really trip off the copper. when i was a teen, that was all i used to use. these ro/di gadgets that every one swears by did not exist back then or were rare...and everyone seemed to get by without them. these days it seems as if you're shunned for not using ro/di. surely, there are advantages to using ro/di, but it will not be the end of the world. a week ago we had some really hot weather here in the bay area, and my ro/di unit could not keep up with the top off for both my tanks...so guess what i did???? yep, took some good old tap water and dumped it in. and no, i don't need a chiller b/c it only gets that hot like twice a year.
Old 05/30/2007, 04:20 PM
Team RC Member

Chlorine bubbles out of solution after 72 hours, but water departments rarely use chlorine any longer: now they use chloramine, a more stable form which does NOT come out of solution after setting. You have to use a dechlorinator to get rid of chloramine, is my understanding.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 05/30/2007, 05:35 PM
Moved On

I agree with the cat

if possible stay away from tap
Old 05/30/2007, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

tap= problems in my opinion. I got lazy for a few weeks and began topping off with it. Almost immediately I noticed algae problems.
Old 05/30/2007, 06:19 PM
Send money....

Quote:
Originally posted by ahullsb
tap= problems in my opinion. I got lazy for a few weeks and began topping off with it. Almost immediately I noticed algae problems.
Not worried about algae in a QT. It's a QT being talked about here. I have used tap dechlorinated tap before in my QT and didn't have a problem with it. I usually hypo new fish coming in because just about every one I've gotten has had ich, and even if I started with tapwater I lowered salinity using RO/DI. Most of the time I use my RO/DI, but I have had a short notice time or two that I used tap with no ill effects. IMO, IME, and YMMV
Old 05/30/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for all the reply's just don't forget its only for the Q tank NOT FOR the main tank I use only RO/DO for the main tank also for top offs

Kaboke
Old 05/30/2007, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

my fault I didn't read closely enough
Old 05/30/2007, 10:10 PM
Zoa Fanatic

I plan on using conditioned tap water for my emergency qt tank.
Old 05/30/2007, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

What is the stance on tap water, with amquil+ conditioner? Thats what I use, and I want to avoid the $200 cost of a Ro/Di attachment.