Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Help me pick the perfect MH bulb

I am having problems finding a bulb I like. I have been using XM 10K's just because the PAR is so great. Problem is I HATE them because they are yellow (at least to me). I have 4 80W T5 Actinics (which I added to solve the XM 10K problem), but it still looks yellow to me. I have been through XM 10K, 20K, and now 15K and didn't like any of them (the 15K and 20K were both way too blue for me).

I have 2 X 250W SE and 1 X 400W SE. Ballasts are a 400W elec Icecap and a dual 250W PFO magnetic. Right now I am kind of debating Reeflux 12K's and Megachrome 12.5K's. I don't really know how the two compare as far as PAR. I have never used either (been an XM user for a long time), but have heard great things about the Reeflux 12K. My reasoning for considering the Megachrome 12.5 is only that I can get them at a GREAT price, and thus far have never been disappointed with Giesemann.

I would love to hear from people who have actually used the 12.5K Megachrome however. I would also like to know how the Reeflux and Megachrome compare as far as light output. Of couse they both claim to have high PAR, but doesn't mean much without actual numbers.

Anyway, would love to hear some opinions. I hate to have to try them all to find one I like. If you don't like either of these two I'm open to suggestions. Looking for a crisp white/slightly blue bulb.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

I run 2-250w megachrome 12.5K's plus 4 t5 pure actinics and I really like the color balance, plus the growth. I would describe the color as crisp white with a hint of blue, but definately not any yellow cast. The color is very natural to me, but also very bright, everything in the tank seams to grow well, my fish look great too. I think the key is having the 4 pure actinic t5's. As far as PAR, I haven't checked the numbers, but I'm sure thier right up there with comparable bulbs. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.