Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/14/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

Re: ?

Quote:
Originally posted by jswipes2002
You mean people actually pay you to write a paper on gobys? At 30 dollars each and how expensive this hobby is, who really cares?
Sorry but I don't really understand your question. Who said anything about being paid for this? This is for a SCIENTIFIC paper, not an article for a hobbyist magazine. Did you read the first post in this thread ... my rationale for this survey is clearly explained there.

Aside from this, as you say at the prices you people pay, I would think you would WANT to know how long your investment would live. :-)

Aloha!
JCD
Old 08/14/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kwaters
Here is the info I can offer...

Species: Two Spot Goby
(Signigobius biocellatus)

Age: Unkown but has been in my tank for about 30 days. It was about 1 1/2 inches in length when purchased.

It is alive and elusive...I see it maybe every two to three days. It currently looks healthy and as if it has grown about 1/4 inch in length.

I will keep you updated if desired.

Kris
Thanks for the info ... but that genus is not part of my survey ... sorry. :-)

Aloha!
JCD
Old 08/14/2007, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kwaters
Here is the info I can offer...

Species: Two Spot Goby
(Signigobius biocellatus)

Age: Unkown but has been in my tank for about 30 days. It was about 1 1/2 inches in length when purchased.

It is alive and elusive...I see it maybe every two to three days. It currently looks healthy and as if it has grown about 1/4 inch in length.

I will keep you updated if desired.

Kris
Thanks Kris ... unfortunately that is not a genus that I am gathering info on at present. :-)

Aloha!
JCD
Old 08/14/2007, 07:20 AM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
You mean people actually pay you to write a paper on gobys? At 30 dollars each and how expensive this hobby is, who really cares?
Well that was a pointless comment. This thread is about gathering information for what is sure to be an interesting research paper. So please, lets keep comments on track and to the point.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 08/14/2007, 09:24 AM
"Old Yeller"

who really cares?

:sigh:

Do we get to see the final tallies?
Old 08/14/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Cryptocentrus leptocephalus (Pink spotted shrimp goby)

I bought this setup in May 2002 and he came with it. That makes him at least 5 years old. He hasn't really grown but maybe an inch and is now closer to 6" than 5" as I've seen in books. Great personality - watches me as much as I him. By far, one of my favorite fish.

USA

Good luck.
Old 08/15/2007, 02:49 PM
Brother Maynard

my midas goby lived 3 1/2 years.

southern california, orange county.

kept in 125g then 180g reef tank with regular nsw changes.

he was one of my favorite fishes! lots of personality and was amazed since i nearly killed him about three times.

once when i transferred from my smaller tank to a larger one, i took out all the rock to catch the fish but i could not find him. turns out he was in one of the rocks in which i left outside in winter (here in socal anyway). i found him lifeless on the cement ground (probably for 15 minutes or so), i plopped him back into the tank and did great for 2 1/2 years after...with each incident, same thing happening, i remove a rock to change decor etc, and lo and behold, he was in those rocks TWICE!

he did great after each with a little recoop!

he finally stopped eating one day with no visible signs of parasites, disease etc. he just got thinner and eventually disappeared.

he was fun...when a fish would get near his lair, he would gape his mouth wide open...'ooooh, scaryyyy!'

oh...and charles...i still remember the great personal tour of your aquarium! it was a wonderful moment to remember. the next time i'm in oahu, i'll drop by to say hello! i've got some friends there i visit every so often!

Ben.
Old 08/15/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Ben, but if by "midas Goby" you mean Ecsenius midas ... this is a blenny and not a goby, and would not be part of my survey.

Everyone: Please use scientific names and/or attach/link photos if you don't know the scientific name.

Looking forward to seeing you again ... please check ahead of time as I travel occasionally or may be otherwise unavailable if you just drop by unannounced.

Aloha!
JCD
Old 08/15/2007, 11:44 PM
Brother Maynard

Quote:
Originally posted by JCDelbeek
Thanks Ben, but if by "midas Goby" you mean Ecsenius midas ... this is a blenny and not a goby, and would not be part of my survey.

Everyone: Please use scientific names and/or attach/link photos if you don't know the scientific name.

Looking forward to seeing you again ... please check ahead of time as I travel occasionally or may be otherwise unavailable if you just drop by unannounced.

Aloha!
JCD

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! you are so RIGHT!!!

man, i have got to read the titles better! Geez! that was embarrassing! more embarrassing than walking into an empty womens restroom, washing your hands and wondering what does'sanitary napkin disposal' mean...

Ben.
Old 08/17/2007, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

So it appears that you are still collecting data?

Elacatinus puncticulatus- 3 years.
12 gallon transferred to a 50 gallon and still alive. Los Angeles, CA, USA
Old 08/17/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

update--wheelers shrimp goby with same
shrimp 8 yrs 8/10/07, because of them scared
to update my tank, want at lease 120 tank
dont want to lose them lol.
Old 08/18/2007, 06:26 AM
Premium Member

Diamond Watchman Goby

I live in the good ole US of A .
species: Valenciennea strigata
Very Active
years since I have had the fish: 3.1
Old 08/19/2007, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

That is great that you are doing an article like this. I just lost my 8 year old goby. I have been wondering how long gobies live. He started to show signs of old age in my opinion.

United States
Amblyeleotris randalli
8 years old, died a week ago
Old 08/19/2007, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

More gobies.

Pholidichthys leucotaenia-engineer goby
5 years old
currently in display

Fusi goby
3 years old
currently in display

Priolepis nocturnus-circus goby
3 years old
gave to a friend

Amblyeleotris guttata
5 years old
killed by peppermint hog

Stonogobiops nematodes
5 years old
disappeared
Old 08/20/2007, 02:23 AM
Registered Member

Figures, Knock-on-wood, but just when I finally brag about my goby - he's now been MIA for over three days now. Kinda hard to hid a 6" long goby in my 50 gal tank. Usually I can see either his head or tail at some point. However, a lot of sand shifting has been done recently - one due to him I suspect and two, the suction cups on a use SEIO failed and most of the sand up front is mostly in the back now. Hopefully, he's still around and simply me not looking in the right spot.
Old 08/20/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Yellow watchman goby. Got him about five years ago, oldest in my 150 gal. About three in long, fat, eats anything, including flake. Has lived under the same rock the whole time.
Old 08/25/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Hello!

I'm not in the hobby for long, but here's my contribution:
I have a Synchiropus Splendidus for a year, he's my fav of the tank, always on the front, always nice and charming... He's getting really fat thanks to my home phytoplancton breeding, supplying food for copepods and other micro organisms my mandarin love! He also eat frozen food and, lately, I saw him eat flakes, I was pretty amazed, because I know it's quite unusual. Maybe that's why he's getting do fat, and doing so well.

I have a Gobiodon Rivulatus for a 13 monthes as well, in very good shape.

Sorry to add something out of the topic, but I was shocked by jswipes2002 reply... Is there still people considering a live animal system as pure decoration and money matter? I'm sorry for this heartless person.

If we're not interested by such subjects, as hobbyists, well, who will?

my very best,
sabine
Old 08/25/2007, 02:07 PM
wm3.org

Cryptocentrus cinctus (yellow watchman) Got him 2 years ago , and was 2 years old at that point..So Just over $years old I imagine... He readily eats every type of food I add to the system.. He came with a Pistol shrimp when I got him which died..Just recently I added another and they paired up imediately. He is frequently in the front of my tank for viewing.
Old 08/28/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Ok sorry, I take it back. Saw my Goby again yesterday very briefly after nearly two weeks of MIA but appeared healthy enough. So put him (Cryptocentrus leptocephalus) back on the Alive List, +6 years, 50 gal - USA.
Old 08/29/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up Watchman Goby 5+

Yellow Watchman Goby- gen:Cryptocentrus cinctus

I have had him for 5+ years now. Very healthy and active. He loves to hang out on Mr. clam in front of the tank and watch T.V. with us in the evening. He was only about 1" when we got him he is now about 3" long. He has outlived three tank moves and all other tank mates except for a couple of colonies of corals.
Old 08/30/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Yellow Watchman Goby - 7 years old. Purchused at 1" length, currently at least 5" length. Very fat. Very friendly too.

Been through three tanks:
10 gallon nano
75 gallon softie reef
and now lives in a 33 gallon softie reef
Old 08/30/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

ok, maybe he's more like 3-4" in size..
....i mostly use metric measures, so i got a little scewed up there.
Old 09/07/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

My Pholidichthys leucotaenia (engineer goby) has been in my tank for over 7 years, and is still going strong! Got him when he was around 1 1/2 inches, and he is now easily 14-15 inches!
Old 09/09/2007, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Diamond Watchman Goby

SCIENTIFIC NAME: Valenciennea puellaris
Years in captivity: May 2005 - Current September 2007 (29 Months)
Alive/Dead: Alive
Notes: Orik as I call him has grown to about 5 inches long. When I got him he was only about 2 inches long. He eats mysis shrimp, brine shrimp and bits of tuna. I just love this guy.
Old 09/10/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Greenband Goby - Elacatinus multifasciatum
8 months in my tank, recieved from a friend who had it for 1.5 yrs.