Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

So why am I replacing my bulbs every 6 - 9 months?

Hello and happy new year. Can someone please explain why I am supposed to be replacing my compact flourescent and actinic bulbs every 6 - 9 months? Do the bulbs "wear out" or become less effective; is this a best practice; is there any scientific evidence to support the practice and it that evidence current?

Thank you very much for responding.

I have an Aquapod 24.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

This is the third time I have asked this question on a reefing board and I have yet to get an answer - any answer. Any thoughts are appreciated...
Old 01/08/2008, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

As the lights get older they loose their intensity and the spectrum shifts. I usually change mine every 12 months.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

i think 6 months might be excessive in most cases, 9 months is probably a good medium
Old 01/08/2008, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

If you keep a fish only aquarium then you really don't need to change the bulbs out at all.

Now if you keep some corals then you will need to change them out as needed.

Like the others said, as the bulb gets older then it loses it's intensity, or PAR.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:17 PM

The 6-12 months rule only applies to main lighting (daylight)

For actinics, I use them until they can't fire anymore, or until they get REALLY dim. (we're talking around 2-3 years here) Actinics are just supplemental lighting, ie. your corals are not dependent on them.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

While I agree that actinics are supplemental like xtm said, I recently read a post on RC that stated otherwise. I guess I would need to see proof that actinic light is used by the coral. I would say as long as your animals are healthy and happy you do not need to switch them out.

"And that's all I have to say about that."
Old 01/08/2008, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

So should I replace the actinic with a 10000k white (day) light?
Old 01/08/2008, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

FYI, power compact bulbs SUCK. I know you already have them, but perhaps consider a future upgrade to MH or HOT5. Both of these (assuming quality units) only need to be replaced every year. Some people claim to run HOT5's for even longer than that.

MH and HOT5:

- Better bulb selection
- Better color index potential
- Cheaper costs (in my neck of the woods anyway)
- More power
- More awesome
- Less suckage
Old 01/08/2008, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

They may not be the best, but I love the integrated look of my Aquapods and my kids can't mess with the lights this way. They are a good compromise for me at this time.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Not sure what evidence one would need that corals can actually use actinic for photosynthesis? I think there is plenty of information showing that photosynthesis in corals will occur at 420nm. It just isn't necessary to use actinic lamps according to most research.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Savas
This is the third time I have asked this question on a reefing board and I have yet to get an answer - any answer. Any thoughts are appreciated...
Because it is the 1st time you asked it here on RC!!!

. Loss of intensity

. Loss of color

. Operating outside of 59°F and 122°F. Max light output for T5 is at 95°F.

. Lamp life of 10,000hrs to 24,000hrs. These ratings are based on when the lamp will completely fail to come on.