Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 01:22 AM
Premium Member

Pure white quartz sand

While visiting my parents for thanksgiving, I stopped at my favorite beach and got some sand, it's pure white quartz sand as i recall and its powdery fine and soft. I rinsed it well since it's from a beach, then I put a nice layer over my existing sand bed which is coarser than I was aiming for when i put the tank together. Anyways, despite the fact that it provides little surface for biological capacity, its blending in well with the coarser substrate and I think my critters like it. The sand really reflects alot more light back at the corals and lights the tank better than before. In the evening when actinics are on it glows nicely. I would not have set up a new tank like this but i'm currently pleased with how its working out. I'll take some pictures and post them soon...
Ryan
Old 11/26/2007, 01:39 AM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
I'm interested to see if you get any algae issues in the coming weeks. Please update with pics now and then. Call me a pessimist, but I would imagine beach sand to be absolutely loaded with silicates and phosphates, but what do I know?
Old 11/26/2007, 02:53 AM
Premium Member

Yes, I was also worried about that, I rinsed the sand pretty thoughly so hopefully it will not be a problem but i will keep updating. I have an interesting time with algae, since i set up my 75gl i have never had an algae problem, in fact a friend of mine brings LR from his tank over when it becomes covered in difficult algaes and within a day my critters strip off all the algae except corraline. I wonder why my tank is this way, I dont even have the reccomended amount of snails/crabs for my size tank, but i keep blue legs, emerald crabs, an algae gobie and sandsifting star and these seem to keep everything under control. I had problems keeping sand burrowing fish like coris wrasse becuase of the coarse sand they kept getting wounded from sand diving in it, hopefully this will help with that problem too. Anyways more updates to come!
Ryan
Old 11/26/2007, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

Ryan, were is this sand from? how do you know it is made out of Quartz?
Old 11/26/2007, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

the reason why I ask is mainly because natural silica sand has a high content of quartz in it, there should be absolutely no worries about algae blooms if you rinse it well, Quartz will not dissolve nor leach anything in the water, remember that quartz main ingredients are silicone + oxigen.
Old 11/27/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Yes the sand is from siesta key beach in Sarasota, I grew up there, they claim that the sand is the whitest in the world and even back that up at Bishop Planetarium and museum in bradenton where a display shows the sand against samples from all over the world and US. There is an open "invitation" by the city to send samples from other beaches to disprove them, I dont know if thats ever been disclaimed as of yet, one of those florida quirks! They claim the sand is pure white quartz, and it seems to be from examination under magnification. It is very different than most sand i see in florida, which makes me wonder where we originally had it presumably imported from. The neat thing is although it may be 90+ with intense sun, the sand at the beach remains cool underfoot, although the glare is intense. When I first put it in, it looked like fine powder snow, I thought it looked festive as well lol
Ryan
Old 11/28/2007, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

I love Siesta Key spent my summer vacation with the family and a big group for five years in a row, I agree that sand is unique. Keep us updated.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:37 AM
Premium Member

well the sand layer i put down has mostly mixed with the coarser layer beneath it, which i kinda figured would happen. Still I am happy with the improved texture of my sand bed, and I think the burrowing critters like the sand too. It really looks much nicer and britened up the sands reflective properties. Anyways so far all my parameters are fine.