Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crt81
So how much exactly do you use to raise the ALK and pH?

Is there a specific amount per gallon? (this question may have been answered already, but I'm being lazy right now, so I'm not looking- sorry it's one of those nights!)

This my sound like a nooby question but here it is- what exactly does the ALK do? (sorry this has slipped my mind)!
Use the calculator its your friend
Old 01/09/2008, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Wow that calculator is very nice!
Old 01/10/2008, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Here's the real-world daily reefing checklist:

Stare at tank.
Check equipment & temperature.
Stare at livestock.
Top off water.
Feed tank.
Dose product.
Stare at livestock.
Take pictures of cool new thing.
Double check all equipment and temperature.
Stare at livestock.
Go to bed.
Repeat.

I still haven't gotten to this checklist - mine's a little longer! That's only because I'm still learning new methods, so routine tasks aren't routine just yet! Thanks for the information about 2-part as well.

As recommended, I added the baking soda to my system tonight. I added the first half and waited about 30 minutes to test the pH and alk. They didn't seem affected (though this could have something to do with the precision of my test kit). I added the rest and waited another 30 mins. This time, though, I noticed a slight rise. Thank you for this suggestion.

Do you know where I can get a decently-priced pH meter/probe? As of right now, I'm using a dip-strip for pH and I'm worried it isn't accurate enough.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee1
Great documentation on your thread and y'all are well on your way to an awesome tank. I do want to add that there are safe and effective ways to dose kalk - I've been adding kalk the same way for 8-9 years with no incidents/accidents....
I'm glad you've enjoyed it this far! This has definitely been one of the funnest things I've done in while!

Many mistakes happen because of over-confidence. I find that the longer I don't screw something up, I become less careful with it. I imagine this goes for some folks who forget to check up on their "fail-safe" systems. And then again, there are always some things that can never be predicted.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
I still haven't gotten to this checklist - mine's a little longer! That's only because I'm still learning new methods, so routine tasks aren't routine just yet! Thanks for the information about 2-part as well.

As recommended, I added the baking soda to my system tonight. I added the first half and waited about 30 minutes to test the pH and alk. They didn't seem affected (though this could have something to do with the precision of my test kit). I added the rest and waited another 30 mins. This time, though, I noticed a slight rise. Thank you for this suggestion.

Do you know where I can get a decently-priced pH meter/probe? As of right now, I'm using a dip-strip for pH and I'm worried it isn't accurate enough.
I bought the Salifert kit and I dont think its that accurate, I wish I would have bought a probe instead.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bower23
We really need to make a simple DIY way to dose two-part. For some reason, I just don't trust the pumps....Does this make any sense?? Maybe I need another beer!!
Wow - I had to double-check you're occupation to make sure you aren't an engineer! That actually makes perfect sense. That is a "gizmo" I'd love to see in action. Quick and convenient. Sure, you may have to do it every day, but it would literally take 10-15 seconds. That's a great idea and I think you should build it!!!! I'll be the first....well maybe the second....to try it out!
Old 01/10/2008, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

jc you could get the reefkeeper 2 with the probe, or visit drsfostersmith and look at their ph metering systems, i think a ph probe is more accurate then test strips and kits, i used to test every day for ph and got the meter, all i do is glance at the screen and know how my ph is.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow - I had to double-check you're occupation to make sure you aren't an engineer! That actually makes perfect sense. That is a "gizmo" I'd love to see in action. Quick and convenient. Sure, you may have to do it every day, but it would literally take 10-15 seconds. That's a great idea and I think you should build it!!!! I'll be the first....well maybe the second....to try it out!
One of our engineers has a $25 solution that uses a water cooler bottle, a stopper, a valve and some airline type hose. He almost has it perfected for dosing his system. The next time I go over there I will take some pictures, its simple but it works very well.

edit: Almost forgot, he uses an old Allen Bradley PLC to control his tank, got it for free as it was on the discard pile
Old 01/10/2008, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sanababit
jc you could get the reefkeeper 2 with the probe, or visit drsfostersmith and look at their ph metering systems, i think a ph probe is more accurate then test strips and kits, i used to test every day for ph and got the meter, all i do is glance at the screen and know how my ph is.
yeah thats my plan as well, I am struggling with temp control so a controller with a ph probe is on the equipment list otherwise I would have got a probe by now.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

loooks good jc what is your ph and alk know
Old 01/10/2008, 07:02 AM
Girls Rule!

Hows James Brown doing?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Awesome updates, Josh and Jackie! You guys are so fun! I like the shrooms and zoas, too. Keep up the good work.

I don't think you will have to worry about dosing for a while yet, as long as you keep up with periodic water changes. You don't have any demanding corals, the ones you have may be more sensative to low alk levels (rather than low calcium).

When's your next local frag swap? That's really the way to get going. Or find some generous reefers in you local club. Stores are fine, but when you're strapped for cash, like most young couples are, it's good to rely on the generosity of others for cheap or free frags.

Can I nominate you two for reef keeping couple of the year?

Oh, I almost forgot: nice job on the sushi, Jackie. I'm impressed!
Old 01/10/2008, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sanababit
I'd love to get a pH metering system. They're a little pricey, but obviously well worth it. I'll keep an eye out for some decent prices. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bohlke
One of our engineers has a $25 solution that uses a water cooler bottle, a stopper, a valve and some airline type hose. He almost has it perfected for dosing his system. The next time I go over there I will take some pictures, its simple but it works very well.
Interesting... That sounds like something I'd be interested in building.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Reeftanks6 - my test kit isn't very accurate, so it's hard to give you an exact point. The pH rose to about 7.8 (which probably still isn't high enough) and I forgot the alk. I have it written down at home, so I'll check again when I get off of work.

NanoGurl - James Brown is doing okay. He's still chipper, but the ich hasn't gone away just yet. It's not getting worse, but his sidekick (mr. cleaner shrimp) was out of service yesterday - he molted and was unwilling to lend James a hand. James kept going to his cleaning station for a good scratch but the shrimp was uninterested. I find that the ich spots get larger late at night and then nearly disappear by morning.

Fambrough - a local frag swap is probably our best bet. Though to be honest, I don't speak to many local reefers in the area. I find that around here it's more of a club rather than a community and I prefer this kind of atmosphere. I have spoken to a few local reefers and many of them are very friendly and helpful.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Great thread... tank is comming along nicely.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

edit: Almost forgot, he uses an old Allen Bradley PLC to control his tank, got it for free as it was on the discard pile
I would like to see that also. I am going to get some B-Ionic today and see how it does.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

You can purchase a aquadose 5gal gravity drip system for 25.00 online.. The only problem with this type of method is it's inaccuracies. As the water level drops the pressure lessons, and the drip slows down, also they clog up over time. You will find they require consistent monitoring. Which is ok for the short term, but if you plan on going anywhere, it can cause problems. Maybe not with your system being new. But my system can suck the DKH from 9-10 to 6-7 in 2 days... The only accurate way I have found is with a dosing pump. I run mine off a 50 gallon garbage can, last for 3 weeks.

Also James Brown will not get over the ich until he is removed from the tank for at least 30 days.. The cysts are on about a 21-22 day cycle so it might seem likes he's getting better. Than the ich re appears. I have never had any luck with garlic. Very stable, pristine water condition. No stress and UV or ozone will help. I have a 250 MG ozonetech unit on my system, haven't used it in a couple of years. But it's handy, if one of my Tangs show a spot 3-5 days of running seems to help.. My feeling that ich is present in our systems and when the fish become sick or stressed, they become susceptible..

Happy Reefing
Old 01/10/2008, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Looks like you got some nice additions. Four species on two rocks

lol
I love the R C on the apron. Nice touch

I take the same shots of the wife. I usually just get the look when she downloads the camera. Every once in a while I get how many pics of my hmmm do you need.

Keep up the great thread,
Jeff
Old 01/10/2008, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
yeah thats my plan as well, I am struggling with temp control so a controller with a ph probe is on the equipment list otherwise I would have got a probe by now.
I'm with you on the temp control issues. We made a chiller out of a mini-fridge, and it's helping, but my temp is still fluctuating way too much, sometimes as much as 3 degrees in a day.

I bought a digital thermometer but I think it's starting to malfunction. I've had 2 heaters that malfunctioned as well...I'd really LOVE to get a controller and stop having these issues, I just don't know which one to get and what to get with it, plus I'm another reefer on a very tight budget, and I think that would be the single most expensive thing so far...so that's kinda scary. I thought about a ph meter, but I figured why waste the money when I know I'll eventually get some sort of controller. Anyone have some advice on picking a controller?
Old 01/10/2008, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricks
Also James Brown will not get over the ich until he is removed from the tank for at least 30 days.. The cysts are on about a 21-22 day cycle so it might seem likes he's getting better. Than the ich re appears. I have never had any luck with garlic. Very stable, pristine water condition. No stress and UV or ozone will help. I have a 250 MG ozonetech unit on my system, haven't used it in a couple of years. But it's handy, if one of my Tangs show a spot 3-5 days of running seems to help.. My feeling that ich is present in our systems and when the fish become sick or stressed, they become susceptible..

Happy Reefing
Thanks for the info. These are things I'm definitely keeping in mind. Hopefully the odds are with me, but I'm sure I'll be QTing soon...
Old 01/10/2008, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jefnalyssa
Looks like you got some nice additions. Four species on two rocks
lol
I love the R C on the apron. Nice touch
I take the same shots of the wife. I usually just get the look when she downloads the camera. Every once in a while I get how many pics of my hmmm do you need.
Keep up the great thread, Jeff
Hey - share the wealth!
Old 01/10/2008, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

I went home for lunch today, and as usual I did my check up on the aquarium. The xenia still looks like hell, but everything else is looking good. I keep my lights on a 3:00p.m. - 12:30p.m. schedule, so everything was still pretty much shriveled or hiding.....

I did notice this, however.

I've never seen such bubbly skimmate come out of the skimmer before. Maybe it has something to do with the new tang (bioload) or yesterday's addition of baking soda....

Any ideas?

Last edited by jcpatella; 01/10/2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I went home for lunch today, and as usual I did my check up on the aquarium. The xenia still looks like hell, but everything else is looking good. I keep my lights on a 3:00p.m. - 12:30p.m. schedule, so everything was still pretty much shriveled or hiding.....

I did notice this, however.

I've never seen such bubbly skimmate come out of the skimmer before. Maybe it has something to do with the new tang (bioload) or yesterdayo's addition of baking soda....

Any ideas?
That's good looking skimmate, just curious how deep are you running your skimmer? O and, i don't know why your getting better skimmate Probably is the addition of new things

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 01/10/2008, 03:37 PM
Premium Member

The water line is about 8 inches or so. I thought I might need to run it more shallow (put the skimmer on a egg-crate stand), but it seems to be working fine. Unmodded Octopus NW-150.