Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

About the Tanks of the Month

I have a question in relation to the tanks of the month. I `m close to restarting my hobby back up after a LONG absence. I like to look at the tanks of the month because not only are they truely breathtaking but, i also look for fresh ideas to apply to my new setup and it helps alot. One thing i did notice is that most of the "tanks of the month" are sps tanks. Also, most of them are so huge and high tech, as to be well beyond the avg. hobbyists means both from a practical and financial standpoint.
I guess what i`m trying to say is, why is it that only the huge and elaborate sps tanks get nominated? Some of those setups look like 10s of thousands of $ were put into them. How can the avg. hobbyist relate to that? Also, why aren`t LPS and Soft coral tanks nominated?? Are they just concidered bottom shelf to SPS?
I`m sure there are stunning LPS and soft coral tanks out there that are less than 300 gals that can and should be nominated too?? right?? Why are they being overlooked?
Old 12/10/2007, 04:31 PM
Nothing to put here

They are TOTM because they stand out. An average tank is just that... average. These tanks are chosen because of their size, complexity, and difficulty to maintain. The writeups would be awful short for a 30 gallon softy tank. Something along the lines of: "Well, I got some rock, put it in there, and then i put some leather corals and mushrooms in. I waited a year and they covered the rocks." Nah, I'm just kidding (kind of).

But does that make sense? They are nominated because they are huge and elaborate, not everyday.
Old 12/10/2007, 04:51 PM
I like sticks in my tank

There are no doubt a lot of large, complicated SPS TOTM's - especially lately. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that many of us are so cramped in our 'mortal' tanks and we dream of having the real estate to get new corals.

If you look a little closer, you'll actually find a number of softy and/or many small/medium setups.

Here's a 65 stony reef:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...totm/index.php

Here's a 55 gallon zoanthid/mushroom tank:

And 70 gallon softy:

Another 90 gallon mixed softy/lps:

A well mixed 40 breeder:

Last edited by miwoodar; 12/10/2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12/10/2007, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

Even a nano:

Old 12/10/2007, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Wow, those tanks are amazing , tyvm guys. I`m still trying to decide which route i want to go. I left off with a SPS tank. I was at the point of growing frags. What really attracts me is the floresence of some of these corals under atinic only,(at dusk) .
Old 12/10/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Impressive
Old 12/10/2007, 06:34 PM
will work for fish food!

I'm all for seeing something like...maybe...say a nem tank!
And actually I saw one by MOBERT that was awesome, and achievable by the not so rich and shameless!LOL
Old 12/10/2007, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davocean
And actually I saw one by MOBERT that was awesome, and achievable by the not so rich and shameless!LOL
Everything thing is achievable. I make next to nothing for money but yet every chance I get I invest a little into my tank. I just wish I never had to move again. That is the only enemy of mine.
Old 12/11/2007, 03:32 AM
Registered Member

Hello,

the setup of a tank is a very personal thing - depending on each persons budget, interests and up to everyones taste (which gratefully differs for any individual). For me there is also something else beyond the although very colourfull but "candy colours" look like SPS tanks only looking like a "harbour wall" (nevertheless I admit the effort and work the tank keepers had/have to put in to maintain such a tank).
A well structured tank with also sand areas and "canyons" in between with a mix of different corals (also some softies bringing in movement) is what I prefer more.
But really its a very personal thing.
Here you can see my tank: my 253 Gallon tank

regards

Markus
Old 12/11/2007, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

I have to agree. The TOTMs are beautiful, but somewhat redundant. I'm not very interested in SPS, but I appreciate the complexity of a setup they require to grow correctly. I find myself growing bored of seeing the same SPS-overgrown tanks every month, though.

Like MarkusII, I prefer to see variety. Setups with low maintenance, self-sufficiency, interesting rockscapes, etc. Species tanks are always fun!
Old 12/11/2007, 10:23 AM
RC Mod

Tanks are nominated by members. Being able to see the nominations, I can tell you, most of the nominations are sps-dominant. Skipper even posted in the LPS and softie forums, encouraging nominations. There is definitely an effort on our part to encourage different tanks to be nominated.

That said, It's not so often you see the level of work and effort in softie tanks that you see in sps. And that is simply because, while sps demand it, softies do not.

I myself am burned out on sps as well. They were the thing to master back in 1998. But now, they are weeds, I can't give my prunings away fast enough. In fact, I have to convert most my prunings to calcium reactor media:

Softies grow equally fast, so I'm slowly turning my tank back into a mixed lps reef, by giving my sps away. I'm just too busy to deal with weeds these days.

But, I honestly think the really nice sps tanks are that nice, not because of growth though. The amount of energy it takes to keep them well colored, and pruned so they don't burn each other..... It's a lot of work! I commend those that take the time to do it.

Nevertheless, please send us any tanks you feel are spectacular and a little different.

Quote:
Originally posted by davocean
There was a nem tank as TOTM before:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/totm/index.php
Old 12/11/2007, 11:24 AM
Killer of Giants

If you guys remember a while back, TOTM was suspended by the mods because of discussions like this. They were getting bashed for repeatedly picking SPS dominated tanks. They got sick of it and dumped the idea of TOTM.

Now it's back, by popular demand. So I think we should all just take what they give us and let them know it's appreciated. There is much to learn from their showcased tanks, LPS, SPS, Mixed, etc..

By the way, HOLY ****! This months is UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Old 12/11/2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Capt_Cully - really? I thought that happened on April 1 last year... aka april fools day =P

maybe it was for real though another time and I missed it? hmm

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 12/11/2007, 01:52 PM
will work for fish food!

Pics of MOBERT's tank.
This one gets my vote!

Old 12/11/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it was an April Fools Day joke.
Old 12/11/2007, 02:26 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by kslick
I'm pretty sure it was an April Fools Day joke.
Yep. Had some folks really going for a while too!

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 12/11/2007, 04:13 PM
clams are your friends.

I'm always blown away by the TOTM, but I do agree it would be nice to see some more variety. I really enjoyed the one about the nano a few months back. It was very simple, looked/ran great and was something do-able to a knowledgable but more budget limited hobbyist.

Regardless, it is easy to get so wrapped up in all the SPS stuff (which I do find interesting) we forget about all the variations of "reef aquaria" there are. MOBER's anomene tank is incredible, then there's the guy with the cuttle fish & SPS tank. I've seen photos of some people's softie, LPS, and Zoa tanks that are just as cool, too.

No doubt there is a lot of other amazing stuff out there that would be nice to see featured more often.
Old 12/11/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LobsterOfJustice
They are TOTM because they stand out. An average tank is just that... average. These tanks are chosen because of their size, complexity, and difficulty to maintain. The writeups would be awful short for a 30 gallon softy tank. Something along the lines of: "Well, I got some rock, put it in there, and then i put some leather corals and mushrooms in. I waited a year and they covered the rocks." Nah, I'm just kidding (kind of).

But does that make sense? They are nominated because they are huge and elaborate, not everyday.
For some people though its, well I went out and spent a bunch of money, I don't know how it works but here you go, SPS.

I agree, SPS is getting tired. IMO these big SPS tanks are becoming average. Personally I think TOTM should be reserved for people who are keeping exceptionally rare marine life or marine life that is considered difficult. Yes, I don't think SPS is that difficult anymore. Many people achieve resounding success with: buy tank, buy skimmer, buy CA reactor, water change=great SPS.

-Samuel Clemens
Old 12/11/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

I would also like to add that TOTM should also appeal subjectively to aesthetics. Im also into planted tanks, and on their forums I've noticed that their main complaint (i dont mean to start planted/fw vs. salt contest) against reefers is that many of us do not pay close attention to aquascaping. Sure we put some thought into it so it looks ok, but on the planted side of things there are different schools of thought on how to aquascape, different design looks, textbooks, etc. Most reefs consist of the "pile of rocks" method of aquascaping.

That being said, why couldn't/shouldn't tanks be nominated that have a greater aesthetic appeal, not just because they only have difficult animals. I would be more inclined to nominate a tank that reflects a greater aesthetic appeal than one that has a bunch of crap on top of rocks.

-Samuel Clemens
Old 12/11/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

On the pic that Mark submitted...please, everyone, a moment of silence......NOW,Mark you have openly admitted to using most of your prunings as calcium reactor media. This is no less then an act of Aquatic Heresy!!!! NOW, since you have already confessed, you must repent. In doing so, we promise your forgiveness by ummm..Nuptune?? ..however, you will still be beheaded and falayed quickly.
Old 12/11/2007, 07:12 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Nomadic
On the pic that Mark submitted...please, everyone, a moment of silence......NOW,Mark you have openly admitted to using most of your prunings as calcium reactor media. This is no less then an act of Aquatic Heresy!!!! NOW, since you have already confessed, you must repent. In doing so, we promise your forgiveness by ummm..Nuptune?? ..however, you will still be beheaded and falayed quickly.
I'm sorry, I am indeed a sick man. I grow corals from with their excess growth. There is something morbid about that, huh?

I try to relate it to being the same as when I prune the plants in the yard.

Eventually, everyone around you has frags of what you have, and don't want more. And I'm not a person that has time to start shipping frags out to people further away. Hence, I've adopted a new policy of recycling.
Old 12/11/2007, 07:18 PM
will work for fish food!

Why can't one of my neighbors be hucking monti's like that?!
That purple sure would look nice in my tank!
Old 12/11/2007, 07:25 PM
Moderator Clone

Well, just so folks know, Skipper is just one man (contrary to popular belief), and I know he would appreciate other folks looking out for new, unique, beautiful and special tanks to feature as the Tank of The Month.

So, you can either PM Skipper, or post in this forum, which is set up just for TOTM and Top Ten suggestions.

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!