Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 01/03/2008, 03:35 AM
Premium Member

Thanks coralite! This is great! Do you have any information on the base buildup that you can refer me to? I'd really like to know more! When the smaller polyp's base is built up can I frag it, or should I let it be?
Old 01/04/2008, 10:45 AM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
100% Not micro if it gets 3" Vernons definition is less than 8mm LOL thats about 1/4"

Looks like a Indo acan to me
Old 01/04/2008, 10:48 AM
Free Digital Coral Guide

Quote:
Originally posted by mike1962
Thanks coralite! This is great! Do you have any information on the base buildup that you can refer me to? I'd really like to know more! When the smaller polyp's base is built up can I frag it, or should I let it be?
Well if it is a lord or Micro it will develop multiple corallites and grow out, at which point it'll be easy to frag. Since I suspect it is a scolymia, I doubt it will produce any/many more polyps and it would likely be best left as is.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Except for the striping, which looks like an Acan, everything else is SCREAMING Scoly at me right now..

Matthew
Old 01/05/2008, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Thank you all so much for your input on this. It's seeming more like a scolymia. It will be interesting to see how the second polyp develops. I'll keep you all informed when it is fully developed and post pics.

As an aside, many of us here in California got slammed by a major storm and myself and others were without power for 27 hours or thereabouts. With a lot of work and little sleep, a power inverter and a couple of deep cycle marine batteries my main reef tank seems to have weathered ok. The experience taught me that I need to buy a generator!

Thanks again all!