Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 12:44 PM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

Aquarium netting group buy

There have been a few threads started talking about this but I decided to start a fresh thread to get this organized. I am organizing a group buy of clear 1/4" mesh netting. Note that I'm not making a penny off of this. I have a need just like many others for some netting over my open top tank to keep jumping fish in, and don't want to pay for the expensive pond netting sold at HD or Lowes.

I've given this some thought and to prevent jigsaw-puzzle cutting, waste, and leftover pieces you will need to take a standard width of netting. The net comes in a 14' wide roll from the company, but since almost nobody could use 14' I will be cutting the roll lengthwise into two 7 foot lengths. This means no matter how much you need you'll need to take a minimum cut measuring 7' wide and in increments of 12" (if that makes sense). You should also calculate in any excess to overlap the sides of your tank or for tucking into a frame.

Example:
If your tank top measures 36" X 18" you would order a minimum 24" which would yield you a piece that is 24x84. This would be enough to give you 2 nets (24x42 each), which you could split with someone else or keep the second as a backup.

The netting is fairly cheap when bought in a bulk role, so even though you may end up with more net than you need, it still will cost you a fraction of buying an individual piece elsewhere. So far I've been able to get the pricing down to around .35 /sqft. So the above example 24x84 piece would only cost $8.40

To recap, I need to divide up the netting in 7' widths and 12" increments so that I don't end up with a bunch of wasted odd shaped pieces and a "net" loss
Please don't ask for odd sizes that aren't in 12" increments or for me to cut the 7' width down. Anyone who has ever put together a GB knows the trouble already and I don't want to complicate it any more than it has to be.

All those interested please email me your required size in 12" increments (12, 24, 36, etc) using the email icon above this post so I can determine how big of a roll to order. NO PM's! If we can get a big enough order the price may come down even more. Also please don't ask to participate in this GB and then bail out after the order. Not only is it unfair to leave me stuck trying to sell off extra pieces, but all who flake out will be publicly taunted and ridiculed
Pieces will need to be picked up in Glendora or at my work in Pasadena, no plans at this point to ship unless you cover the postage and paypal fees.

Again, please contact me by email using the email icon as I won't be collecting names from PM's or this thread.

Thanks!
Ken
Old 11/14/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

I'm in Ken. I'll take a 84" by 24" piece. emailed you as well.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:01 PM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

Thanks CJ, received your's and Jeffersonreefs so far.

Also forgot to mention that all those emailing me, please include your name, number, and email address so I'm not scrambling for this later. Providing this info will also help me figure out who is serious and who is not.

I get ALOT of email so if you include the words NETTING in your subject I'll be sure to get it.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

I just emailed you.

I would like 36" of the 7" cut.
I am more interested in the 1/4" mesh, but would be happy with either.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

I would like 36" of the 7ft std width.

Email sent.

Thanks for organizing this Ken, much appreciated!
Old 11/14/2007, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

email sent

looking at 9' x 7' piece

Thanks
Tony
Old 11/14/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Would you happen to have pictures of what the netting will look like? I've seen different variations in the netting so I was curious. But I would be interested in a 7' x 24". Would someone in the OC area be able to pick up? Can/will pay before pick up.
Old 11/14/2007, 05:02 PM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

Emails have been replied to, thanks for all the interest. So far there has been an overwhelming flood of responses and this GB is looking very favorable. The more people who join the better the price will be for everyone.

Speaking of price, I'm in the middle of negotiating a much better price with a vendor. This could get us near or below $0.20 per sq foot. The netting will be a lightweight 1/4" clear mesh, not the 1/2" stuff over on the DIY threads. At this price I'll personally be doubling my own order so I have a spare piece just in case I mess one up.

Someone already suggested getting a portion of this sent over to OC for those who live down that way. I'll let you guys work that out but you are welcome to jump in on this thread to organize that, and then just let me know who will be picking up or receiving your pieces. Same goes for anyone in the SFV area or elsewhere in SoCal, if you want to get in on this it might be worthwhile to get someone to pick up from me or arrange to have me mail your pieces to one central place. I don't want to complicate the GB so I'll leave all that up to everyone else.

Theres a little bit of work involved with this so please let me know soon. I'd like to get this done before things start getting hectic with the holidays.
Old 11/14/2007, 05:04 PM
Is it Charles or Jen? =)

what do you use this stuff for?
Old 11/14/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JenDub
what do you use this stuff for?
The netting is used to cover the top of your tank to prevent fish from jumping out.
Old 11/14/2007, 05:31 PM
Is it Charles or Jen? =)

ok, wasn't sure if it was for some new skimmer mod or something =)

Thanks!
Old 11/14/2007, 05:50 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by Doe5ia14
The netting is used to cover the top of your tank to prevent fish from jumping out.
Actually, I am using mine to prevent my kids from jumping into the tank
Old 11/14/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

Any volunteer in OC?
I would like some but I can't make it to Pasadena during weekdays.
Old 11/14/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimilanRocks
Any volunteer in OC?
I would like some but I can't make it to Pasadena during weekdays.
Pasadena is a trip, but Glendora is only about 20-30 minutes from La Habra.
Old 11/14/2007, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

I'll take a 84" by 24" piece if anyone from OC can pick it up, or perhaps we can ship it to one place for all the OC people. i would be willing to handle that if other OC people want me to. It would cost more then that to drive up to get it.
Steve
Old 11/15/2007, 02:21 AM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

We are almost half way to getting enough people for this order. Please email me if you want in or have a mini-group submit the amount needed and we'll get this done real soon.
Old 11/15/2007, 02:30 AM
So little time

Ken, did you get my email? If not I'll send it again. Thanks.
Old 11/16/2007, 01:00 AM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

A deadline has been set and is quickly approaching. Please get back to me before Monday Nov 26 if you want in on the group buy.

Please note that there is a sub-group in the IE that is taking names for this buy. So if you are part of that group or Inland club your best bet is to get with them. An IE reefer will be picking up the netting from me and distributing it out that way to help minimize the amount of people having to pick up individual pieces. If you are getting your piece through them please don't duplicate your request with me.

If there's anyone going to the Ventura frag swap, that may be a good way of getting some of this netting delivered out that way.
Old 11/16/2007, 02:11 AM
Zeolishious

Quote:
Originally posted by pookstreet
Actually, I am using mine to prevent my kids from jumping into the tank
Come on Kenny... With that new big ol tank, there should be enough room for you and the kids... Time to share

Good luck with the GB Ken.. Nice to see you back.

Clint

I am the coral king! I can do anything!

Click on the red house and see the my reef.. (2-10p.m. pst.)
User name= reefcentral
Password= password
Old 11/16/2007, 10:30 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
i am in for a 110" x 34" piece....

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 11/16/2007, 11:11 AM
Reef slave

any pictues of this stuff?
Old 11/16/2007, 12:32 PM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
i am in for a 110" x 34" piece....
Gabe, email me with how much you want. Pieces will only be in 7 or 14 foot widths (roll is 14' wide) and cut in 12" increments. Because I'm dealing with a 100' roll I don't want to start cutting odd shape pieces so it will either be 7' or 14' widths. The closest to 110"x34" would be a 14'x3' (168"x36") piece... but at only $0.20 /sqft any leftover shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 11/16/2007, 03:18 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
lol... cool.. ill send you an email..

thx...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 11/17/2007, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

sent email
Old 11/19/2007, 03:50 PM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

Just a reminder, if you are going to get in please do so by this weekend.