Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Moving Bubble Tipped Anemone

I have had a bubble tipped anemone for almost a month now and I'm not sure if its still adjusting to the light, but it keeps moving down to the bottom in the back where there is low current and low lighting.

Can I leave it one the sand where it cant move or what is wrong with it if anything?
Old 01/04/2008, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

Pics? Water parameters/lighting, etc.?
Old 01/04/2008, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

I could try to get some pictures in later.

The water quality and everything is perfect, I clean it every 1-2 weeks. In the spot that its in, its not going to get much lighting.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:20 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

No offense, but "perfect" doesn't tell us a whole lot.

Would be nice to know what type of lights, what size tank, and what the actual water parameters are -- with numbers.

How much flow do you have in the tank -- number and type of powerheads/return pump.

Also, what fish, other inverts do you have.

There are many reasons that it could be moving, so the more "real" information given will go a long way towards trying to figure out why.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Its a 46 gallon tank. salinity is from 1.022-1.025. I have T-5 lighting and a koralia power head with medium flow, 600 gallons per hour.

The temperature is 75-76 degrees F. The P.H is curently 8.3. And there are weekly water changes.

I have 3 occelarus clowns who are the host of the anemone, well, just two of them are its host. A diamond watchman goby, 5 green chromises and 3 bangaii cardinalfishes and a royal gramma and a mandarin dragonet. Some of the inverts are a couple turbo snails, peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp. Red reef hermit crabs' 2 emerald crabs', a coral banded and glass anemone shrimp (the anemone shrimp hosts one of my two haitin reef anemonies which are placed away from the bubble tipped anemone). 2 anemone crabs are in the other anemone. And I plan to get a sand anemone or something of that sort for the other clown fish to host.

There is also a protien skimmer, and an emperor rite size e filter to go with the skimmer.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

You might want to try and cover him so the clowns cant get to it. Sometimes clown fish can stress new nems. How big is the anem and the clowns?
Old 01/05/2008, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

The clowns are pretty small, there sizes range from 1 and a half, to two and a half inches long, but only two of them are hosts to the anemone, the other is kind of an outcast, I think because the other two are mates or something. The anemone, when its fully spread out is about 4-5 inches across.

Hope this helps,
Old 01/05/2008, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

IMO The anemone may be to small to host two clowns.