Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/25/2007, 01:56 AM
Needing a job

Maxijet 600+TLF Phos. Reactor = no media movement

I'm pretty stumped here. I just received my TLF Phosban Reactor today with 150g of Phosban.

I set it up per the instructions outside this morning with two buckets and five gallons of three-day old water change saltwater.

Everything worked correctly with 10 grams of Phosban and, of course, feeding it with a Maxijet 600 (160G/H) was too much flow so I had the valve halfway closed the the media tumbled very gently.

Now that i've got it setup on my system attached to my sump with even less tubing and the valve all the way open I cannnot get the 10 grams of Phosban to even move. Tapping gently on the bottom of the reactor moves the media up a bit, but it just settles back down.

TLF recommends no more than 70G/H using less than 130G of media so i've adjusted the valve in the input line from all the way open to just about closed while watching the output and still no media tumble.

I've even tried a spare Maxijet 600 and had the same results.

Tried another outlet for the Maxijet, no change.

Took the reactor apart, inspected it, followed the directions one more time and still, no change. Took the said Maxijet apart and it was spotless.

Any ideas here? I was thinking too much upflow and with the valve almost all the way closed, with very little water coming out of the reactor output line, no change.

I've checked all lines and hoses and haven't found anything that could block the flow.

I've even tried raising and lowering the reactor, raising the lowering the feed pump and raising/lowering the drain line from the reactor and saw no change in media movement.

FWIW, i've got about 65G of water volume so that's why I want to start with 10G of Phosban as to not shock any SPS.

Should I even worry about it? I guess I could just keep an eye on it and make sure the media doesn't clump and that the media doesn't turn into powder (running the output into a filter sock currently).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ryan
P.S. Merry Christmas
Old 12/25/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Mine moves the 150 grams with the mirco-jet on it's net to the lowest setting. That 600 should be throwing it around wide open. Try draining the whole thing, and when the pump starts refilling it, make sure it it's going down the center pipe. Maybe check for a big air-bubble under the bottom peice of foam too.
Old 12/25/2007, 01:38 PM
Needing a job

Will do. I'm also going to try a little more media.

Thanks
Old 12/25/2007, 03:17 PM
Needing a job

Added more media and now it's working properly.

Thanks