Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 03:59 PM
Team RC Member

So what's the menu for Christmas?

Got a spiral sliced ham that won't bust the diet...

We'll start tomorrow morning with waffles and maple syrup, with, probably, bacon.

We'll break out the holiday cookies, for snacks.

We'll be stupid-stuffed until noon. I'll have the ham on heating.

We'll have a fairly healthy supper of ham, green beans, fresh-baked bread with butter, and blueberry cake for dessert...with Barefoot Bubbly, our fave brand of Champagne.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/24/2007, 04:08 PM
Where the future begins!

My parents are driving up from Kentucky and Matt's mom is coming over for them to meet the first time.

We're going to be deep frying a turkey, making stuffing, green beans, and broccoli in cheese sauce. My mom's also bringing a double chocolate cheesecake she made since I didn't get one for my bday. It's gonna be good!
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 12/24/2007, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

Hubby's laid up so no fried turkey for us this year I picked up a turkey breast and will make that with gravy, candied yams, green bean casserole and biscuits.
Old 12/24/2007, 04:21 PM
Movin On Up

Quote:
Originally posted by JokerGirl
deep frying a turkey

Seeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Deep frying is good food!!!!!!

Pork chops w/gravy
stuffin
mashed yukon gold pototoes
brussels

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 12/24/2007, 04:23 PM
Where the future begins!

Quote:
Originally posted by Misled
Seeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Deep frying is good food!!!!!!

Pork chops w/gravy
stuffin
mashed yukon gold pototoes
brussels
Oh I agree! You should deep fry 'em pork chops

I was also contemplating in mixing the beans with bacon grease.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 12/24/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

tonight is a turkey breast, mashed potatos, stuffing, and corn on the cob, rolls
banana cream dessert (vanilla pudding, pineapples, bananas ect)

christmas:

Filet minon grilled, mac and cheese, vegitarian baked beans, apple pie

told you I had no traditions bf isent into huge family dinners (since its my huge fam.. his is so tiny... so i do that after xmas on my own..)
Ill have all the misfits for dinner tonight and tomorrow.. anyone that doesent want or have a family to go home too.

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 12/24/2007, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JokerGirl
I was also contemplating in mixing the beans with bacon grease.
Don't contemplate...do it! Green beans almondine....heat up some bacon grease and toss in your green beans and some sliced almonds, salt and pepper to taste. YUM!
Old 12/24/2007, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TOURKID
vegitarian baked beans
Recipe please?
Old 12/24/2007, 05:23 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Think I will have a corn dog.

Was suppose to drive up to MN yesterday, but there was a big old storm in Wis. The last hour I managed to go about 20 miles. And with a bad back it wasn't going to happen. So I ended up turning around and came back home.
Old 12/24/2007, 05:27 PM
Team RC Member

Oh, Todd, call in a pizza with every topping you can think of---store it tonight and heat it tomorrow!

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/24/2007, 05:29 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

I was thinking about doing that too. Still have all the cash I took out to pay for the gas on the trip.

And let me tell you, it was a nasty storm, must have seen at least 30 cars in the ditch, half of them overturned. During a couple of points, I couldn't see more then 20 feet in front of me.

Edit -- Sk8r, just placed an older for a pepperoni and onion pizza, with a side of garlic bread. Thanks for the idea. Going to be a great Xmas dinner left overs.

Last edited by Toddrtrex; 12/24/2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12/24/2007, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

It's just Jill and me this year, so we will have waaay to much food. Honeybaked ham, rolls, corn, spuds, green bean casserole and 7 seven layer cake for desert.

Fuzwald gets a huge ham bone which he will promptly take to his crate and eat for hours.
Old 12/24/2007, 06:09 PM
Team RC Member

Todd, good for you! There's a great holiday spirit! Pop a few tops on the beverage of your choice, haul out some good dvd's and be snug and warm and sensible!

And hurrah for ham bones!

I think our cats will savor a little ham Christmas day...

Old 12/24/2007, 06:12 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Yea, I do have a frig full of beer, so might have to have a few of those. Plus it will make my back feel better.
Old 12/24/2007, 06:14 PM
Team RC Member

Go for it, Todd! It's a holiday---there are no hours! Feel better, and get that pizza inhouse. If you have any apples and some cinnamon, you can make a heck of a dessert by half peeling, coring, putting butter and cinnamon down the middle, and microwaving until done.
We'll all be here, I assure you---wishing you a happy!

Old 12/24/2007, 06:21 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Wow, that would be a heck of a dessert, but alas, there has never been an apple in this house. I will just have to have DC cookies for dessert.

And the pizza man just came, so very yummy.

Old 12/24/2007, 06:24 PM
Team RC Member

Oh, good! He made it through!
May you have the merriest of Christmases, Toddrtrex...and there is NO body who can quarrel with pizza!

Old 12/24/2007, 06:30 PM
Movin On Up

Todd, that pizza looks good!!!!!

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 12/24/2007, 06:49 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

And let me tell you guys, it was good. So stuffed right now. And that beer was very cold and very tasty. Have plenty left over for a late night snack and for dinner tomorrow.

And my folks just called ( they drove up to MN two days ago ) Guess my brother and his family are coming to IL on Thursday, so we are going to have a late Xmas on Friday. Plus my Dad ( also my boss ) said to take a half day on Friday and hang out with my brother and his family at the folks house. So all and all it won't be too bad.
Old 12/24/2007, 06:51 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

We'll go into my grandpa's tomorrow and have lunch - even though its usually after 1PM by the time the food gets served. Its because there is sooooooo much to cook with my family . I have a very large family, there will be 20 to 30 lbs of mashed taters made and it'll be GONE by the time everybody gets through. My uncle will bring some of his smoked turkey to go along with the regular oven cooked turkey and ham. There will be gravy, there will be corn (much of my "older" family - grandpa generation are Nebraska corn farmers, so we get good corn), there will be a relish tray, lots of hot rolls, cranberry sauce. And that's just lunch, as far as treats that'll be out before and after (as if anybody is hungry after eating all THAT! ) - grandpa's peanut brittle, my dad's fudge, cookies, sausage, cheese, crackers, and usually my one aunt makes this shrimp and sour cream and cocktail sauce type dish. THEN, after lunch there will also be pies and ice cream usually an hour or two after...after a few have had time to digest a little of the lunch meal and get some more room in the belly again .

Unfortunately I'm going to have to take it easy this year . I'm nursing a really bad tooth right now and its making chewing a bit tough. Plus I'm trying to be easy on the sweet and sugary stuff so as to not make it worse before I can get it in and get something done with it.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 12/24/2007, 06:58 PM
Team RC Member

Awww for the bad tooth. Gotta get that fixed. But most things won't hurt it! Watch the cranberry [acid] and the sugar, and have a great time!

Old 12/24/2007, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

for me
wake up early strap kayaks to top of the car head to cyn's familys for presents head out to the inter coastal and gulf for a nice kayak trip
take a swim, kayak some more then back to her parents house for a shower and dinner then back home NA eggnog for us also =)
Old 12/24/2007, 07:38 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Prime Rib and ham, Broasted tatters and who cares after that. Corn I think and ceasar salid. Pecan and Pumkin pies from Mrs Smith's (why bother to make from scratch, you cant beat these) and cool whip, lots of cool whip
Old 12/24/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Pigs in a blanket, homemade sausage and beef lasagna, stuffed manicotti shells, a nice Merlot, caesar salad, and finish the day off with chocolate pie.
Old 12/24/2007, 08:29 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
Awww for the bad tooth. Gotta get that fixed. But most things won't hurt it! Watch the cranberry [acid] and the sugar, and have a great time!
For once its kinda handy to be picky! I don't like cranberries of any sort, don't like gravy, don't like mashed potatoes, and the list goes on. So the list of things I do eat is pretty selective. I just gotta stay away from anything too crunchy and try to keep the tooth as clean as possible. Fortunately with some simple OTC pain meds it doesn't hurt until I bug it or apply pressure (which is why its hard to chew anything too much ).

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71