Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Doc's 125g reef set-up

Well I finally got my 125 up and running. It has been a long process due to cost, time, and the holiday season. I am just going to run down my thought process and implementation to see what people think. Thanks in advance for all the comments.

First and foremost my goal was to create a "open" tank to accommodate swimmers such as Tangs and Triggers. To do this I decided to make rock pillars (three in total) so that I can maximize tank space. I did this by buying 1/4 inch fiber glass rods from McMaster-Carr . Once I got them I cut them to length and placed them in pre-drilled paver stones. The stones were bought at Lowe's in the garden section for about 56 cents. I then just simple used a masonry bit and drilled the holes in the center to place the rods in.

Note: I did place a piece of Acrylic between the tank and paver stone to avoid any scratching or chips.

After I got the pillars done I moved to plumbing the over flows. The tank itself is a 125g Perfecto with the Mega-flow pre-drilled. I just did the basic plumbing down to a 30g sump I made out of a old tank. the one thing I did add to the plumbing was a ball-valve to the return that simple ran back to my skimmer section. This was so I could adjust my pump encase the pump was to strong (Mag 18).

The big problem I faced was that I had or more wanted to put my 125g where my 55g was sitting. So the way I swapped them was simple make about 110g of RO/DI saltwater and get it up to temp. I think drained the 55g into another trash can and placed all the live rock into the trash can. I did not keep the sand since it was older than 6 months. I think moved the 55 and put the 125 in place. put the pillars in, place the sand in, and finally add the 55 gallon water followed by my pre-mixed water. This all came out without a hitch for the most part. I did have a small leak in the return I fixed but other than that I was ok. I did drill holes in the live rock as I placed it in so that they could slide and be moved around the pillar stands.

Well, this is the tank 2 days after install.

As you can see I had some micro-bubble issues but that is now fixed. All water parameters in check and the fish are eating as if nothing happened. I will update this post as the tank settles in. Here is a some basic tank info..

125g Perfecto with corner over-flows W/ 30g sump
3 Koralia power heads @ 850gph each
ASM G2 skimmer
2 150w heaters (one is back up)
Mag-Drive 18 for return line, 1800gph @ zero head loss
42" Current Sunpod (modified from my 55g till I get new lights)

Fish stock
Volitan Lion Fish
Niger Trigger
Lawnmover Blenny
Clown Fish
White BTA
Misc snails and hermits (Niger leaves them alone)

Thanks for reading!!!

Red house= pictures
Old 01/01/2008, 03:55 PM
Obsessed

wow.
lets hope those paver stones dont leach anything harmful into your tank.
Old 01/01/2008, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

I like the look. I was just wondering about ph problems with the pavers. Looks awesome though.
Old 01/01/2008, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

Many people have used pavers before. I actually got the idea from multiple threads on here.

Red house= pictures