Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Going to a bigger sump

I have a 10 gal sump for a 29 gal tank. I am going to upgrade it to a 20L tank. right now it is just an open sumpwith just a water pump and some pesky crushed coral that I am taking out. I plan to put a skimmer in the sump, the heater.

what else should I look at putting into this sump? I have been reading some past posts that make me say, hey I'm doing that and thats part of the reason I'm having issues....

Thanks again
Old 01/01/2008, 01:12 PM
Frugal Reefer

You might want to add a filter sock to the drain so you can just keep an open sump (no chambers) without worrying about bubbles. I would have the drain and skimmer on one side and the return pump on the other side with the heater in the middle.

Hit the little red house above for the ARC website! You know you want to!
Old 01/01/2008, 03:35 PM
Obsessed

can add a light and a ball of cheato
Old 01/01/2008, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

I was just going to say, if your doing it you may as well turn it into a sump/fuge.
Old 01/01/2008, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

I was thinkin of doing just that. Just a matter of decideing wht to do with it all... Have had the tank for just over a year now. I listened to the LFS to begi with... But I bought oline cheaper....
Old 01/01/2008, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

rubbermiad container works well also..
Old 01/01/2008, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

I have two 18 gal Rubermaid containers for storing my ro water in..... I already thought of that... But on my stand it looked like the rubbermaid was a failure waiting to happen