Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Differance of flow. Flow cant really get down deep in the CC and it may not time from months to yrs to see the ill affects of the CC and then its much harder to cure. Also you will have worms , pods , and other CUC keeping the rockwork clean as they can . But with CC you will get uneatin food , waste , and other debris collecting down where cleanup crew and worms and snails like nass. snails that love these things but cant live in a CC bed they need SB to dig into. So there goes one great CUC member.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

I will continue to research this issue and look for a real reason to remove it. Thanks for the guidance.

I am of course reluctant to tear down my tank and start over from scratch.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

Dont feel like reading back.
How long has this tank been running?
And do you know the water readings?

The readings will help more then any response in here. CC is possible with good flow, regular water changes , not overstocking or over feeding to name a few. But if you see nitrate or phosphate rise and water changes dont cure then that light bulb in your head will go off. Plus ask any reefer if they move rock work around and most if not all with 1 yr in will reply yes. Its just part of reefing and learning.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:20 PM
30 year and over club

Quote:
Under gravel filter? I thought Paul B. was the only one still running one of those,
Quote:
remove the undergravel filter system, can trap bad gases in them. not good. undergravel filter system not recommanded for saltwater
Quote:
your smile face doesnt change the fac that the undergravel filter system is not good for saltwater tanks in anyway.
Quote:
An undergravel filter provides inadequate biological filtration for marine reef. In saltwater aquaria, which has much lower levels of dissolved oxygen, undergravel filters should not be used, as the submerged aerobic bacteria in the gravel are competing directly with the fish for oxygen.
Quote:
The undergravel filter is possible but not needed and nothing but a nitrate factory. Same as the crushed coral another nitrate factory. The skimmer and return cannot put enough flow for proper water quality and bio filtration and O2 exchange and a few more.
So you guys mean that I have been running my tank wrong since 1972? Dam, I wish I knew this when Nixon was president
Old 01/01/2008, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the bump Paul, my UGF is not running in reverse mode. Why did you chose to run yours in reverse?

Also, I have been investigating the UGF debate and speaking to the LFS owners in my town. One LFS stated that he uses UGF but just caps them off to create a dead space for anaerobic bacteria growth. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, my research on DSB suggests that a plenum of some type is used. Would this not be just like a UGF under sand instead of gravel?

My UGF is a high tech version that is corrugated and has slot sizes engineered to produce even flow over the entire surface of the plate. It is two plates with one powerhead per plate. I like it because there is no way that anything can get sucked into the powerheads intakes.

Also, my crushed coral is absolutely alive with pods that look like sea lice or something and they move through the entire substrate, I would assume they are cleaning the detritus out.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:05 PM
30 year and over club

Actually McTeague, if you are running the UG filter the way you say you are running it then most of those above scenarios are true.
I have been running a UG filter longer than anyone here and my tank is much older than anyone's here so I know what does not work. I invented this way of using this type of filter.
A regular run UG filter like you have is great but not for longer than a year or two. It will definately clog and cause many problems. I am not saying that because I read it somewhere. I have personal experience with these filters and write my own material.
After much experimentation I found that a UG filter installed to last indefinately needs to be run very slow and in reverse. It also needs a strainer or some type of filter on the inlet so no particles are pushed under the gravel. They also need some maintenance. I use a diatom filter and stir up the gravel where I can reach a few times a year. My dolomite gravel has been in the tank for over 40 years, there is no clumping. I only lifted the UG plates once after the first 25 years to see what it looked like under there.
My reef has no problems, no diseases, no nitrates and very little algae. Fish live to die of old age, some of them 18 years old and many animals spawn.
People have negative things to say about UG filters because thats what they read. These are rumors by mis informed people who never used a UG filter the correct way. If the thing is run correctly, it will last forever.
So even though your gravel is full of pods and very healthy, It will not always be like that. And the faster you run it, the shorter it will last.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the guidance!
Old 01/01/2008, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

I think I'll chime in on this one!

Ok when I started I had CC over an under gravel filter

After some issues with the water prams @ 1 year in, I just pulled the LR and pulled the under gravel filter out.

Much better

Now @ 6 years later ....same tank, I removed the CC and put in sugar sand. First off I dident like the look of the sand.. now I love it.
I changed the CC out for sand @ 2 weeks ago.. I can see bubbles in the sand next to the tank wall NO2 I beleve? My levels are easer to maintain now and I have grown use to the sand and i'm startin to like it..

I dont chime in often but this one is right up my alley.

JMO

Cope
Old 01/01/2008, 03:20 PM
Obsessed

also 10 pounds of live sand has a MUCH larger surface area compared to crushed coral. more surface area = more nitrification bacteria .

also for flow in your tank.

i had 4 maxi jets ( 2 900s and 2 1200's ) and i thought it was just a hair on the " not enough flow side" so please add more power heads yes they are ugly but if you cant see waves on the top of your tank, theres not enough water movement
Old 01/01/2008, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

I am going to retire this tank soon and install a new taller tank on the old stand that I just refinished a couple years ago. When I do the new setup I will be doing DSB with sump just like everyone else.

Here are some new pictures I just took:

Old 01/02/2008, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

What if he used a power head to reverse flow the UGF? Would it still be a nitrate factory and possibly build up harmful gases?

Man those are alot of shells! Are you collecting them? lol

Last edited by leoslizards; 01/02/2008 at 01:32 PM.