Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 02:01 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by Rock Anemone
Here's what I would do. Stay outside by the fence ALL NIGHT smoking cigarettes. When the intruder comes up to you, tell him that this is your turf, but say it like you're Clint Eastwood.
Maybe throw out a little West Side Story dance as well?

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 12/31/2007, 02:06 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

That could work..... that could work........ ::thinks::
Old 12/31/2007, 02:22 PM
Ruger dog

Alright,
#1 pick up ALL of the butts so that any left after that point should be identifiable.
#2 notify the police (this is just good to do and also gives you an "I told you so" in the unfortunate event that you must defend yourself).
#3 If you do shoot someone LEAVE THEM WERE THEY LAY. Don't drag them anywere, this is a BAD idea!!
Old 12/31/2007, 02:23 PM
Ruger dog

Alright,
#1 pick up ALL of the butts so that any left after that point should be identifiable.
#2 notify the police (this is just good to do and also gives you an "I told you so" in the unfortunate event that you must defend yourself).
#3 If you doo shoot someone LEAVE THEM WERE THEY LAY. Don't drag them anywere, this is a BAD idea!!
Old 12/31/2007, 02:44 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by azrednex
Alright,
#3 If you do shoot someone LEAVE THEM WERE THEY LAY. Don't drag them anywere, this is a BAD idea!!
I've been picking them up as I find them.

As far as dragging the perp, I wouldn't, but I'm very surprised at some of the responses in this thread where people were told by cops to do just that. Very interesting...

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
Old 12/31/2007, 03:21 PM
m0delgator

Quote:
Originally posted by azrednex
Alright,
#3 If you doo shoot someone LEAVE THEM WERE THEY LAY. Don't drag them anywere, this is a BAD idea!!
Do I really have to do it all twice?
Old 12/31/2007, 04:06 PM
Teeam Gary!

Could the butts be getting tossed over the fence? Kids (and adult pigs) will toss the butts out of their turf. Kids don't want to get caught, adult pigs just want to mark your territory.

An outdoor light would be good. Home Depot has the compact flourescent floods that will light up the yard pretty well. I'd leave them on with the camera going and then switch to the motion sensor.

I've also seen motion-sensing rainbirds. Nothing like getting soaked to make you find another place to smoke. If you can soak the ground near the fence where you think they may be jumping it may also help.

The blood is creepy but it could have been a cat killing something while the dog was away.

Got any friends with a big dog that may want to visit for a while?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can get rid of him for a whole weekend.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:14 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by MandM
Could the butts be getting tossed over the fence? Kids (and adult pigs) will toss the butts out of their turf. Kids don't want to get caught, adult pigs just want to mark your territory.

An outdoor light would be good. Home Depot has the compact flourescent floods that will light up the yard pretty well. I'd leave them on with the camera going and then switch to the motion sensor.

I've also seen motion-sensing rainbirds. Nothing like getting soaked to make you find another place to smoke. If you can soak the ground near the fence where you think they may be jumping it may also help.

The blood is creepy but it could have been a cat killing something while the dog was away.

Got any friends with a big dog that may want to visit for a while?
The butts I've found have been close to the house, too far to have been flung from the other side of the fence. My yard is all rock so soaking it wouldn't work.

The cat theory may be a good one; I've seen one back there a few times.

Old 12/31/2007, 04:34 PM
Where the future begins!

One thing I can suggest is that if you have $150 to spare, you can go to Costco and pick up a 2 camera security system. The cameras have nightvision. It looked like a pretty good deal.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 12/31/2007, 05:21 PM
Moderator Clone

I only read pages 1 & 3, so I don't know if this might have been suggested, but hooking up the motion sensor to an automatic sprinkler control can be a rude discovery for someone coming into the yard. Nothing like getting unexpectedly wet to discourage night time visitors.

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 12/31/2007, 05:36 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by Anemone
I only read pages 1 & 3, so I don't know if this might have been suggested, but hooking up the motion sensor to an automatic sprinkler control can be a rude discovery for someone coming into the yard. Nothing like getting unexpectedly wet to discourage night time visitors.

Kevin
That's a good idea! Especially when our night time temps are in the teens.

Old 12/31/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

landmines?

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears

Rehab is for quitters.

I like the smell of a particularly ripe fart (only if it is mine).~BrianD
Old 12/31/2007, 06:11 PM
Fish nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ21
landmines?
That's how my dogs protect MY yard.

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot
Old 12/31/2007, 07:25 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ21
landmines?
Quote:
Originally posted by catdoc
That's how my dogs protect MY yard.
Jack's working on it!

Old 12/31/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Well, IF you end up having to shoot somebody, make sure u kill him, cause if you wound him, youll get sued.. lol.. ALSO, AFTER you shoot him, fire a shot in the floor somewhere noticeable, and say it was a warning shot. But yah, that sprinkler idea is a good idea.. But how about one of those little door alarms, that when ya open a door, an alarm goes off, u can hook it up to you fence door, and have the alarm set up in your house where they cant hear it outside, and surprise the perp.

oh yah, BTW, when you figure out whats actually going on, TELL US. lol..
Old 12/31/2007, 09:26 PM
Cancer Sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by Slipstream
Well, IF you end up having to shoot somebody, make sure u kill him, cause if you wound him, youll get sued.. lol.. ALSO, AFTER you shoot him, fire a shot in the floor somewhere noticeable, and say it was a warning shot. But yah, that sprinkler idea is a good idea.. But how about one of those little door alarms, that when ya open a door, an alarm goes off, u can hook it up to you fence door, and have the alarm set up in your house where they cant hear it outside, and surprise the perp.

oh yah, BTW, when you figure out whats actually going on, TELL US. lol..
One thing I learned in my concealed carry course is that the only time it's legal to shoot is to kill. Reason being, your life or property is in danger and deadly force is the only option. Warning shots are not allowed, and will get you into more trouble than kill shots. Same goes with wound shots - not allowed.

Old 12/31/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

but how would you know the peeping tom wasn't planning on harming you or your property?

Rehab is for quitters.

Old 12/31/2007, 10:09 PM
Teeam Gary!

You don't know, but you can't shoot until you do know for sure. It has to be immediate danger to life, not property. You can't shoot someone for peeping but you can soak them and make them fall in the dog poop.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you can get rid of him for a whole weekend.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

can you shoot them with airsoft/paintball guns? Or you could leave rakes scattered over your backyard at night?

Rehab is for quitters.

Last edited by JJ21; 12/31/2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

This sounds pretty serious to me.
Consider getting the night vision cameras. I have a set of them , got them at Walmart for under a hundred dollars, bought a nice 12" color tv to hook it up to and they need no wireing.
They are good for up to 100 feet from the camera to the TV set.And you can get additional cameras for the unit, up to 4.
Use them at the front and or back doors or place them both at your back door facing out to your yard.
Then you can watch what is happening during the night from your bed, or anyplace you have your TV set.
And a better idea to leave you back porch light on, then they really pick up any movement.
You can also hook it up to a vcr to record 6 hours of vhs.
They see great in the dark with little light so I would suggest you look into that.
I would not take any of this lightly and get on with your defense of your property and your person.
Best of luck and if you need more info on the camera setup just drop me a pm.
Stay safe .
Old 12/31/2007, 11:55 PM
Obsessed

did your kids start smoking? or room mate or spouse? and they are trying to hide it from you?