Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks

View Poll Results: How long have you kept this fish?
current owner: less than 1 month 124 20.70%
current owner: 1 - 5 months 91 15.19%
current owner: 6 - 12 months 54 9.02%
current owner: 1 - 2 years 55 9.18%
current owner: 3 - 5 years 34 5.68%
current owner: 6 - 9 years 13 2.17%
current owner: 10 - 14 years 4 0.67%
current owner: 15 - 19 years 1 0.17%
current owner: 20 years or more 10 1.67%
past owner: less than 1 month 21 3.51%
past owner: 1 - 5 months 32 5.34%
past owner: 6 - 12 months 34 5.68%
past owner: 1 - 2 years 45 7.51%
past owner: 3 - 5 years 41 6.84%
past owner: 6 - 9 years 13 2.17%
past owner: 10 - 14 years 8 1.34%
past owner: 15 - 19 years 4 0.67%
past owner: 20 years or more 15 2.50%
Voters: 599. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07/14/2005, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

These fish can get up to 24" in the wild and probably a little smaller in aquariums. You could keep a little one in there for a while, but I would give it at least a 150 gal, preferably a 180 gal.
Old 07/26/2005, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Not to long ago i picked up a 6"-7" clown trigger has lots of personality and love to fight my mag float. He is in a 180 gallon tank with fish his size
Old 08/25/2005, 04:12 PM
Moved On

i love the clown trigger! im planning an 850 gallon system and the ct is on the stocking list. its going to be 2 150 gallon rubber made tubs, a 150 gallon quarintine/holding tank, and a 400 gallon main tank. the main tank will have a picasso trigger, a niger trigger, a blue throat trigger, a dog face puffer, 1 regal tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 emporer angel, and 1 harlequin tusk. im adding in a clown trigger and will have a purple and/or powder brown tang in the holding tank. if the ct gets to aggresive hes going into the holding tank and the tang are going in the main tank.
Old 08/25/2005, 04:12 PM
Moved On

i love the clown trigger! im planning an 850 gallon system and the ct is on the stocking list. its going to be 2 150 gallon rubber made tubs, a 150 gallon quarintine/holding tank, and a 400 gallon main tank. the main tank will have a picasso trigger, a niger trigger, a blue throat trigger, a dog face puffer, 1 regal tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 emporer angel, and 1 harlequin tusk. im adding in a clown trigger and will have a purple and/or powder brown tang in the holding tank. if the ct gets to aggresive hes going into the holding tank and the tang are going in the main tank.
Old 08/25/2005, 06:35 PM
Huh???

interesting thing I have been observing in my mixed trigger tank.....my bluethroat, who is newer, smaller, and supposedly much more docile is whooping on my CT which has been in the tank for years, is about an inch larger.......strange
Old 08/26/2005, 10:53 AM
Moved On

that is weird. the ct will get him back eventually. in case the one i get is a bully hes going in the holding tank and the 2 aggresive tangs are going in the 400 gallon.
Old 08/29/2005, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Mine was begging food all the time...
Old 12/05/2005, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Clown Trigger Survey

SELECTION
Did you mail order this fish and would you recommend mail order this fish? Are there captive-raised/bred specimen available and where?
My fiance got me my clown trigger from Marine Depot back in Feb 05.

Any tips on how you picked a healthy specimen of this species from LFS? What do you think is the ideal size to get?
I have been around clown of all sizes, I worked at a LFS in college and clowns around 3-4 inches do well. They should have a study build and not have concave sides. Real small fish aren't as easy to acclimate and real large fish should stay in the ocean.

Are there any noticeable differences in body shape, pattern or color among the same species or between juvenile and adult of this species?
Yes, real small clowns have a different look than the 3" + variety. I think fully grown adults so under some subtle changes.

Is there a way to tell the sex of this fish?
I wish I knew

ACCLIMATION AND INTRODUCTION
Any special tips about the acclimation and introduction of this fish?
Just use common sense - go slow

Any special needs for this fish or special considerations for young specimen?
Make sure they have a nice cave or two to retreat to always, this will make them fell secure in the tank

Should this fish be the first or the last to introduce to a tank?
I would say last, but then again, I don't think this fish is meant to be with other fishes in an aquarium setting.

COMPATIBILITY
What tankmates do you have with this fish?Is it a reef or FO tank?
Tankmates include hermit crabs and snails to clean up after his mess. Had an emerald crab too for 6 months, but everntually the Clown got tired of him and ate him.

Have you had more than one of this species in the same tank? NO
If so, is there a certain male/female ratio or group number worked for you (to have a harem or pecking order)? Do they school?
Have you had other species of the same genus/family in the same tank?
What’s the stocking order (considering the above factors) that worked for you?
Did this fish hurt/eat any of other fish (or vice versa)?
Did this fish hurt/eat Cnidaria (corals, mushrooms or anemones)?
Did this fish hurt/eat ornamental crustaceans (shrimps, hermits, crabs)?
Did this fish hurt/eat Mollusks (snails, clams, oysters, mussels)? ATE A CRAB SO FAR, Hermits will be next probably
Did this fish hurt/eat Echinoderms (sea cucumbers, sea stars, urchins)?
Did this fish hurt/eat Worms (feather dusters, flat worms, etc)?

FEEDING
How did you get this fish to eat at first?
Mysis shrimp
If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food? aways ate frozen
What’s the diet? Mysis, Formula One, Veggies, crab, krill
How much and how often do you feed? 2 times a day

How does this fish eat?(grazers, active or sedentary predators, sand sifters, etc)
Active feeder, comes right out to eat

Does this fish eat any microalgae or macroalgae in your tank? If so what type of algae? Yes, it will chew on macroalgae sometimes

GROWTH RATE AND LIFE SPAN
What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached? How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)?
I got mine at about 3.5 inches and it has grown about 3/4 of an inch in a year I think

What size tank did this fish live in? (or how soon did this fish outgrow what size tank)? What do you think is the minimum tank size required for an adult specimen of this fish?
Right now he is in 50 which is too small for him. I plan to put him in a 120 soon. They like to swim and are messy eaters so the bigger the better

If this fish went through body pattern change from juvenile to adult, was the change complete? How long did it take?
Haven't seen that yet

How long have you kept this fish? If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause?
I have had my fish about 10 months

What is the longest lifespan and the maximum size of this fish in home aquarium and/or in the wild reported?

DISEASE AND TREATMENT
What disease has this fish had? How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment?
When I got my fish he got a bacterial infection on his anal and caudal fin. I used Myacin II to kick it (by Mardel I think). It took a a month or two but eventually the infection went away.
I did weekly water changes which I think had a good impact too

BEHAVIOR
Does this fish change body color under any circumstances?
Yes, goes from pale to bold in coloration depending on mood or time of day. Also triggers to get your attention.

Does this fish dig the substrate often?
Not too much.

How active is this fish? Is this fish shy?
Active during the day and especially at feeding time

How territorial or aggressive is this fish? How does this fish interact with tankmates?
Dont know, but he will move hermit crabs around if he doesn't like where they are

Did this fish ever jump out of the tank? NO

How does this fish sleep? Goes in his cave and locks himself there with his trigger

Does this fish allow cleaners to clean? If so which cleaner and how often? Don't know

How does this fish interact with human? he will interact with my fiance and i, but he is really wary of strangers and will hide if we have other people over at our house

Did the fish release toxic substance that killed other creatures in the tank? NO

Any other interesting observation of this fish?

REPRODUCTION
If you have a mated pair, how did you get them to pair up?
Any information of spawning in captivity?

SUMMARY
Your overall assessment of this species -
How sensitive is this fish to poor water quality on a scale of 1-5? 3
1 - very tolerant, may survive a cycle in a new tank
2 - quite tolerant, may survive accidental ammonia or nitrite spike
3 - not terribly sensitive to reasonable pH, salinity or temperature changes
4 - sensitive to any significant water chemistry changes, and may show stress during such changes
5 - very sensitive to water quality, may easily get stressed and get sick with any change in water chemistry
Do you think we should not keep this fish (for what reason)?
Would you recommend this fish to beginners?
Is this fish best kept in mature/established (6 months or older) tank?
Any other recommendations/comments?

Clown Triggers are amazing fish. They need to be respected and in my opinion they are enough fish for a tank. I have watched Picasso Triggers and Queen Triggers in the wild meander for food over a shallow reefs and what strikes you is how much they like to move around. A fish tank with other fish in it can be a bad situation for a clown trigger. Knowing what i know I gotta get mine a bigger tank soon cause I am sure he is going to get bored of cramped quarters quickly.
Old 01/16/2006, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

Anyone have a crosshatch trigger? I've had mine for 2 years and she is doing great. She eats everything.
Old 03/07/2006, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

I've had my CT for 6 months and it is doing great. He is about 12 inches long and gets along with everyone in the tank. I've had to start over in collecting my fish since hurricane Katrina nocked out my power and my tank crashed.
Old 03/10/2006, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

Ive got only a huma and he is becoming a real terror nipping my lionsfishs fins and trying to kill my green bird wrasse also he doesnt mess with my moray grouper or puffer but has already shredded my hifan snappers hifins down to nothing good luck weith a clown as they are nastier and meaner than huimas ive heard
Old 04/10/2006, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

Mine just came out of quarantine and gave me a scare - he was asleep almost a full day - looked dead. Now he's moving around. I have him in a 100 tall with a huma huma trigger. I'd like to add a few more - any suggestions? I was thinking of a butterfly. Any recommendations? Also, can i have ANY cleaning crew in here - or will he just munch them up? I was thinking of an eel too - or a lionfish - any suggestions? I will fill out the survey in another month when i have more to share. He is eating and swimming around now, and seems to be fine with the huma huma. Mine is about 3-4 inches long. I paid $80 for him - but i think the price was reduced because he has a nip on his nose (or that area right over the mouth - i know they don't have noses). Looks like he just bumped the glass while being moved.
Old 08/24/2006, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

3 clown triggers each 5-6 years

I’ve had 3 clown triggers each one was purchased at 1.5-2” and grew to about 6-8” in maybe 6 months. They all lived about 5-6 years.

SELECTION
Did you mail order this fish and would you recommend mail order this fish?
Hand picked, I haven’t bought anything mail order. I like to watch the fish for at least half an hour before I buy it.

Are there captive-raised/bred specimen available and where?
I haven’t looked very hard, but I doubt it unless you buy from a hobbyist.

Any tips on how you picked a healthy specimen of this species from LFS?
Standard stuff: Look for parasites. Check for cloudy eyes. This should be an active fish that eats greedily.

What do you think is the ideal size to get?
I would get a small one (2” or less) and grow it up. But that’s just personal preference.

Are there any noticeable differences in body shape, pattern or color among the same species or between juvenile and adult of this species?
Patterns vary slightly, but it’s a very bold and standard pattern. I have seen some that look faded though. Juveniles have 3 thin forehead stripes instead of one wide band and they have large white spot covering the whole body instead of just the ventral half as on adults.

Is there a way to tell the sex of this fish? I don’t know.

ACCLIMATION AND INTRODUCTION
Any special tips about the acclimation and introduction of this fish?
Standard. I don’t think they need much acclimation. They tolerate a wide range of salinity and temperature. I moved mine dozens of times with basically no acclimation because tanks had to go to school and back multiple times a year.

Any special needs for this fish or special considerations for young specimen? Feed lots of meat.

Should this fish be the first or the last to introduce to a tank?
This depends on size and tank mates of course, but a clown trigger is a very aggressive fish so generally it should be last.

COMPATIBILITY
What tankmates do you have with this fish?
I’ve kept them with damsels and groupers. Damsels can be quick enough to get away if there is sufficient live rock.

Is it a reef or FO tank?
Probably FO, unless you don’t mind losing motile inverts to predation.

Have you had more than one of this species in the same tank? If so, is there a certain male/female ratio or group number worked for you (to have a harem or pecking order)? Do they school?
I’ve seen juveniles kept in groups for a short period in the LFS, but like many LFS practices this will not work long term.

Have you had other species of the same genus/family in the same tank? No

What’s the stocking order (considering the above factors) that worked for you? Damsels added before the trigger were eventually accepted. A leopard grouper added after the trigger was also OK for a while, but the trigger had to be completly full before the grouper got anything.

Did this fish hurt/eat any of other fish (or vice versa)?
No, but it tried.

Did this fish hurt/eat Cnidaria (corals, mushrooms or anemones)?
No

Did this fish hurt/eat ornamental crustaceans (shrimps, hermits, crabs)?
Reef hermits were eaten. A Skunk cleaner shrimp was eaten after many months of peace because feeding was neglected while on vacation.

Did this fish hurt/eat Mollusks (snails, clams, oysters, mussels)?
Flame Scallops were not eaten.

Did this fish hurt/eat Echinoderms (sea cucumbers, sea stars, urchins)?

Pencil urchins and chocolate chip stars were eaten. Sea cucumbers and sea apples were not.

Did this fish hurt/eat Worms (feather dusters, flat worms, etc)?
Bristle worms were eaten.

FEEDING
How did you get this fish to eat at first?
I don’t remember it being a problem.
If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food? N/A
What’s the diet? Krill and frozen cubes

How much and how often do you feed? Typically 1 or 2 shrimp and 1 cube once a day.

How does this fish eat?(grazers, active or sedentary predators, sand sifters, etc) Naturally it would be an active predator, but in the tank it just waits for food. I trained mine to do barrel-rolls and extend its trigger on command for food. Flexing my thumb and little finger with a straight hand induced the trigger motion. A pointer finger extended, rolling my wrist was the signal for the fish to spin. It learned the trigger thing almost immediately, but the rolling trick took a month of repetition.
(only one of the three fish learned to roll)

Does this fish eat any microalgae or macroalgae in your tank? If so what type of algae? No algae was eaten.

GROWTH RATE AND LIFE SPAN
What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached? How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)?
I’ve had 3 clown triggers each one was purchased at 1.5-2” and grew to about 6-8” in maybe 6 months.

What size tank did this fish live in? (or how soon did this fish outgrow what size tank)? What do you think is the minimum tank size required for an adult specimen of this fish? The fish lived in 55 gal and a 75 gal. I thought this was too small but that was the biggest I had at the time. I think they would have grown larger and lived longer in a bigger tank.

If this fish went through body pattern change from juvenile to adult, was the change complete? How long did it take? The change was complete in 6 months.

How long have you kept this fish? If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause? All three fish lived about 5-6 years and died of apparently natural causes. They are very hardy in regards to temperature. They survived 95F water (battery powered air pump running) for a whole day on several occasions due to power outages in the summer. They also can handle a wide range of salinity including permanently living in brackish water if need be for parasite treatments. I never tried keeping them in freshwater, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they could do it.

What is the longest lifespan and the maximum size of this fish in home aquarium and/or in the wild reported?
In my reading triggers are not particularly long lived fish even in the wild typically living 7-10 years. I’ve seen a clown trigger about 12” long in an aquarium.

DISEASE AND TREATMENT
What disease has this fish had? How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment?
Mine never had diseases, but I’ve seen them get ick and be cured by being transferred to half-salt for a few weeks.

BEHAVIOR
Does this fish change body color under any circumstances?
It can get very light when scared or very dark when angry but the overall pattern stays the same.

Does this fish dig the substrate often?
Mine did not. But they might.

How active is this fish? Is this fish shy?
This is a very active fish that always stays in the open cruising when it is the top fish in the tank. If there is insufficient room to swim it will still hang in the open.

How territorial or aggressive is this fish? How does this fish interact with tankmates?

This fish is very aggressive, but accepted tankmates after a while if It could not catch them and beat them up.

Did this fish ever jump out of the tank?
Yes, but that was to only to reach food.

How does this fish sleep?
It likes to find a place to wedge itself in a crack, but will float mid-water if there is no hiding spot available.

Does this fish allow cleaners to clean? If so which cleaner and how often?
Skunk cleaner shrimp would clean sporadically, but it ate one also.

How does this fish interact with human?
As per above comments, it is very personable and can be trained to do simple tricks. Hand feeding is dangerous however without gloves.

Did the fish release toxic substance that killed other creatures in the tank?
No.

Any other interesting observation of this fish?
This is a beautiful, active fish with a dog-like personality. It’s an excellent FO fish.

SUMMARY
How sensitive is this fish to poor water quality on a scale of 1-5? 2
2 - quite tolerant, may survive accidental ammonia or nitrite spike

Would you recommend this fish to beginners?
Yes, if you have a big tank.

Is this fish best kept in mature/established (6 months or older) tank?
My tanks never cycle, because I include plants. They are good enough for corals on day one and I never do water changes. But if you use the old accept-bad-water-as-a-fact-of-life method you may not want to risk a $100 fish on a new tank.

Any other recommendations/comments?
Reef On!
Old 08/30/2006, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

The only clean up crew I kept with my CT was large hermit crabs.

Never had any problems with them. The only thing was they all had short antennae. I guess they tasted good to my trigger. But they were great at cleaning all the small pieces the trigger missed during feeding.

I've never kept two triggers together. In with the CT were:

Emperator Angel
Clown Tang
Porcupine Puffer
Clown Grouper

The fish were in my 300 FOWLR and all fish were adult sized.
Old 10/12/2006, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

My Clown trigger is my favorite SW fish ATM!

It has nearly doubled it's size in the few months I have owned it.

It's cool to watch it expand it's body to eat more food.

Kinda makes it look like a toy.

AJ
Old 12/11/2006, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

I've kept a few over the years, at least three clowns, and several other triggers. I just put a little 2-incher into a 65 of his own last week, and called "Pet Fish Talk" for tips. I've kepts Humus, niger, queens, and a sargassum for years, but every clown has died within two years. Also, the growth rate has seemed slower on those than other species. I'm taking every precaution to do it right this time.
Old 02/18/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

yes I would love a bite of your finger
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06/21/2007, 08:53 AM
Team RC Member

I would love to see one of these guys at a decent size.....

Realistically, if you were to keep a "large" one of these fish, I would image they would each and dump as much as a small bog or a cat!

If ever there was a fish for a species tank, I think a bit one of these could carry it off.......

Matt
Old 08/05/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

I have never owned one so i chose less than one month previous owner because i think my dad owned one a long time ago so...i wouldnt get one for my reef anyway they are really agressive towards fish and people but still he is a really nice fish!
Old 08/26/2007, 10:17 PM
RC Admin

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 10/20/2007, 07:00 PM
This statement is false.

any chance that this fish might work in a 480g tank with

Tassled filefish
Snowflake eel
Zebra eel
Bird wrasse
Foxface
Naso tang
Panther grouper
Twinspot coris
Volitans lionfish

Some softies such as leather coral, colt, mushroom,zoanthids and star polyps

Hermits, urchins, green brittle star
Old 11/21/2007, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

DISEASE AND TREATMENT
What disease has this fish had? How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment? N/A

BEHAVIOR
Does this fish change body color under any circumstances? yeah it gets pale when freaked out

Does this fish dig the substrate often? yeah it digs a lot

How active is this fish? Is this fish shy? wasn't shy at all, constantly exploring, digging, biting

How territorial or aggressive is this fish? How does this fish interact with tankmates? started out ok, then decided the whole tank was his/its

Did this fish ever jump out of the tank? no

How does this fish sleep? like all triggers in a rock or cave

Does this fish allow cleaners to clean? If so which cleaner and how often? N/A
How does this fish interact with human? you could hand feed it, but it'll bite ya

Did the fish release toxic substance that killed other creatures in the tank? no
Any other interesting observation of this fish? killer fish for a BIG tank or a species tank

SUMMARY
How sensitive is this fish to poor water quality on a scale of 1-5? not that sensitive really, but I wouldn't ever cycle w/any fish. Would probably survive ammonia spikes, but why chance it?

Do you think we should not keep this fish (for what reason)? you just gotta know what you're in for
Would you recommend this fish to beginners? no b/c most don't have tanks big enough
Is this fish best kept in mature/established (6 months or older) tank? most are, but that's not realistic
Any other recommendations/comments? no
Old 12/02/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

My Clown is probably my favorite fish in the tank. I always wanted one, and got him last year. He has never been aggressive to any of my other fish. He did try to eat my urchins when I introduced them. I think he learned his lesson. My Humuhumu kicks his butt once in a while. They are both the same size. I introduced a Niger after him and they get along fine. Sometimes I will find him wedged against a rock and the glass nose down resting. He almost looks dead. He eats well. I mostly feed freeze dried shrimp.
Old 12/16/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

hes a meat eater living in a vegitarian world [IMG][/IMG]