Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 08/24/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

67G peninsula build

We decided we have too many little tanks around the house. So, we are going to combine them in one tank and here it is.

It holds around 67 gallons. The dimensions are 36x18x24. It has two 2" drains in the back wall for a closed loop. The four returns are in the top euro-bracing. The sump drain is an 1.5" I think. The return, also in the overflow box, is 3/4". I still need to get the bulkheads. There is one in the tank, but I don't really care for(read trust) it. I will be working on the stand this weekend.

The return pump is an Iwaki WMD-40RLT. Between this pump and the closed loop I don't think flow will be an issue.

The closed loop pump is a Sequence Reeflo Snapper

The skimmer will be fed off of the tank drain and will be external. I chose a Reef Octopus recirculating model. If you will notice it has a ridiculously tall output pipe. I will be shortening it. I don't think the shorter pipe will be a problem because I should be able to adjust the skimmer level with the ball valve.

Finally, the sump. Right now I am planning to use the sump as a refugium. I might add an extra baffle to create a separate return area. I will probably use the lights from our 20G on an opposite photocycle.

For lighting I am planning to use a Sunlight Supply TEK light. The 36" 6 bulb model should be perfect.
Please let me know what you think. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 08/26/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

I spent this weekend building a stand for the 67 gallon. It came out pretty good. Every time I do something new or semi-new I learn something. The biggest thing I learned was the best thing about cheap table saws is they are cheap. Enough of that. I will be adding a "skin to the stand after I get the plumbing and electrical done. Jennifer and I are still kicking around ideas of what it will look like. We have some cool ones. We shall see. The sump barely fit once I got the stand together. I am so glad it did. I had not measured. I just got lucky.

Here is a picture of Tony Palony sitting on the stand. I will not be taking the dog in the aquarium shot because I don't want it scratched.

These next two are the aquarium on the stand and ruffly in place. We will be moving Sam's tank and the wireless router. Do you know anyone that runs cable for a living? Oh wait that's me. Shoot!

All the equipment in place. I was kind of planning for some sort of reactor(carbon, phosbane, denitrate), but I don't know yet where it will go. I guess it is time for some creativity or
GREAT IDEAS FROM THE CLUB.

In this nest shot you have to imagine a Squence snapper mounted, a refugium light, and all the plumbing/electrical. Come on I know you can do it. I know if I were better at Photoshop I could make these things happen, but I would rather just install them and take a picture.

Now imagine the closed loop plumbing.

For the ridiculous part: The output tube of the skimmer. I will defiantly be shortening it. As you can see, it fricken sticks up out of the stand.

So, let me know what you think. Nothing is set in stone yet.
thank you.
Old 09/04/2007, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

I worked on the tank this weekend. Of course I didn't get finished, but I thought I would share. I will be painting all the visible plumbing black.
Closed loop returns

Closed loop drain

Closed loop pump. It is going to sit behind the tank outside of the stand. My original plan was to have it upside down under the tank, but that wasn't going to work. If haven't finished hooking it up yet because I had to make some modifications.

Main drain feeding skimmer. I have absolutely no idea if this set-up is going to work, but I can't wait to see.

Main return pump

Main return via Loc-line

Thank you
Old 09/05/2007, 07:10 AM
:::===( @ | }

Looks like youve planned this one out well, nice job.

Keep us updated on your progress.

I love peninsula style tankx!!

Are you going to enclose the stand?
Old 09/05/2007, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Thank you,

I do plan to skin the stand. It is going to be solid black and the panels will be held on by magnets. I will get that done has soon as I finish the nuts and bolts side. I figured I could do the wood working while I am leak testing and mixing in salt.
Old 09/05/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

looking good
Old 09/10/2007, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

Everything seems to be on track. I found 2 leaks, but I think I both of them fixed. I am currently filling up the tank with fresh water. Hopefully, I will be able to test the closed loop this weekend. I got some SCH80 pipe to finish the plumbing inside the tank. It don't know if I like the lengths yet, but that is easily remedied. I still need to clean the sump and the outside of the tank. After almost 15 trips to Home Depot I am still missing one fitting for the return in the overflow box. I just need to run in and get it!
I got the light fixture in the mail yesterday. I couldn't be more happy with it. Kingfish has the bulbs on order. I am hoping for a high par 10K look. This is going to be the combination:
Aqua blue by ATI 39 Watt x2
Super Actinic by Sfiligoi 39 Watt x2
Actinic plus by Giesemann 39 Watt x2
3000k by GE 39 watt x1
6500K by GE 39 Watt x1
I am experimenting with the lower K bulbs to add some red and par. If it sucks I will change it. This ability to experiment with bulb combos is a big reason I went with T5. Shall we digress.
Here is an FTS with the black plumbing.

This is the view from the couch. SUPER SWEET!

Shot of the light fixture. That's 312 watts of HO T5! Can't wait!

Me holding the light fixture in place. You really can't tell what it is going to look like, but we tried.

In the room

Looky, I got the closed loop working with NO leaks this time. The Snapper pump is great and quiet. I think this tank is going to have some serious flow. I just wish our RO/DI unit was 67 gallons an hour.

Thank you for your time and interest. BTW if you need a new Nano or Pico let me know. Why? We are breaking some down.
Old 09/10/2007, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Wow.Awsome setup!

I put the blue stuff on the red stuff.
Old 09/10/2007, 09:43 AM
Enjoying Life

Updates

Really nice setup. It is always nice to consolidate.
Old 09/10/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

looking good!!!! keep it up!
Old 09/10/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Thank you guys.

I just ordered the light hangers. If they get here this week I should be done by the weekend! I can't wait to add salt.

Fresh water is cool and everything, but I am not into planted tanks.
Old 09/15/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

updates???????????????????????
Old 09/15/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

I got the light hangers in last night. I should be hanging the light today. I also have to redo how I am feeding the skimmer, but that shouldn't take too long. By the end of this weekend I hope to be adding salt.
The bulbs should be in by the middle of next week. Apparently, ATI didn't have any in the country or something.
I also need to raise the skimmer up and shorten the drain.

Couple of hours. No Problem! <---- look I just jinxed my self.
Old 09/15/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

what lighting system do you have there? and could you tell me if you can purchase them in 36"? im looking for some t5's for my tank and those look pretty cool!
Old 09/15/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

i am looking for a pico tank!! What do u have?
Old 09/15/2007, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Bradly88-It is a 36" Sunlight Supply TEK light. It is an eight bulb model. They no longer make it, but they still make the 4 and 6 bulb models. Take a look at Aquatenic and ATI they both make fixtures as well. Supposedly they are "better", but for the price and look I couldn't beat the fixture I bought.

Brad-DA- I just sold all the picos locally. Sorry.
Old 09/15/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

I redid the return/drain plumbing today. I am know feeding the skimmer the correct. Thank you John. The feed for the skimmer now comes off the straight part of the PVC T and there is a ball valve to adjust the flow. I also put a T on the return line with ball valves for adjustment. Right know 1/2 the T goes to the tank and the other just goes to the sump. I will be adding a carbon reactor to it later, maybe tomorrow. I will also be hanging the light tomorrow. I think I am going to add salt tomorrow. I am SUPER excited. Man, tomorrow is going to be BUSY!

Everything went really well today except, the return pump is obnoxiously loud now. It is making a grinding noise. I am not happy with it at all. Why can't sequence make a 500-700 GPH pump?

I do have a couple of questions:
Is there a good way to tell how many GPH are coming out of a tube?
Is there a quieter/more efficient external pump then the Iwaki for 700GPH?
At what point does a hobby become an obsession/addiction? (I am supposed to be watching a movie with my loving fiancee right now, but instead I am making a blog entry. GREAT!)

Well, here are the pictures. They aren't every interesting.
New Plumbing

Shortened skimmer drain

Power center. Which, BTW, fit perfectly between the upright 2x4s. Oh yeah, I planned that the whole time.

Light hangers

Thank you for reading.
Old 09/15/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Wow awesome setup
Old 09/16/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

where did you get those hangers? are they self recoil?
Old 09/16/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

nice set up. where id you get the light hangers? are they self recoil?
Old 09/16/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Marine Depot. They are by Sunlight Supply. they are called the sunlift.
Old 09/16/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a "peninsula" style tank? Sounds neat...

Looking good, keep it up mate.
Old 09/16/2007, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Peninsula tank means two long side are visible. Basically, a short side is against the wall and has the overflow rather then a long side. In the traditional set-up, two short sides and one long side are visible.

I think it maximizes the viewing area. I does take up more space in the room and flow can be an issue.
Old 09/16/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Well, I just added salt(Tropic Marine FWIW). I also put a John Guest fitting on the durso to adjust the height of the water in the overflow. If the bulbs come in, I should be adding live rock from other tanks this week.
I am going out of town this weekend. I doubt I will be completely done by then. We shall see.
Old 09/16/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

very nice set up.That T-5 fixture is awesome.
You think you can out clever us French with your silly knees bent running about advancing behavior,I wave my private parts at your aunties! You cheesy lot of second hand,electric donkey bottom biters!