Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/08/2006, 09:17 PM
IM KING NO DOUBT ABOUT IT

slurp guns

ok what are they, can i make one instead of buying one? and if not where can i get a cheap one. are they easy to use and will they catch gobies and chromis?
Old 08/09/2006, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

I'm thinking about getting one....
Old 08/09/2006, 08:50 PM

i knew what they looked like, just i dont know how they work. can i build one easily (i have seen some diy ones). time i get one because i keep seeing a ton of gobies and shrimp i could add to my tanks
Old 08/09/2006, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

I have heard that they work really well. The only thing to watch out for is causing to much of a suction. If you do sometimes the eyes of the fish pop out. But have heard good reviews.
Old 08/10/2006, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

I've helped the New England Aquarium collect fish for their exhibits. They don't use slurp guns because it injures too many of the fish caught that way. They will only collect by hand net.

-Mark
Old 08/10/2006, 07:07 PM
Keeper of Tangs

yes, correct they do cause quite a bit of harm on the fish. I collect fish with clear empty jars.
Old 08/10/2006, 07:07 PM
Keeper of Tangs

yes, correct they do cause quite a bit of harm on the fish. I collect fish with clear empty jars.
Old 08/11/2006, 07:16 AM

thanks for the help
Old 08/17/2006, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

King of the Reef...I have been trying to get a hold of you. Please contact me ASAP!!!!!!!!!
Old 08/18/2006, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

I've used slurp guns many years ago and found them far less effective than the clear catch nets. Here is a site where you can see what they look like. Scroll down to the bottom.
http://www.deepsixintl.com/store/sho...LLECTING+TOOLS
I use my net so much that I've had to replace it recently.
Old 08/28/2006, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Are slurp guns ineffective at catching fish or do they usually hurt the fish, what exactly is the the problem? Can they be used correctly?
Old 08/28/2006, 08:20 PM
Keeper of Tangs

alot of times it really really stesses the fish out. Also it can pop eyes out rather easily.
Old 08/29/2006, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by speckled trout
Are slurp guns ineffective at catching fish or do they usually hurt the fish, what exactly is the the problem? Can they be used correctly?
I have caught few if any fish with them. The problem I had with them is that when you chase a fish down a whole, or small crevase, the fish wedges itself in the whole. Making the slurp gun totally ineffective.
Old 08/30/2006, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

That's been my problem with the net. There are so many places for the fish to dive into that the net has been mostly ineffective. If you chase them hard enough to actually catch them they get injured.

I haven't tried a clear net, yet, though. The one I was using was too obvious, I believe. However, when the water's crystal clear the fish is gonna be able to see everything and probably notice a net of any kind.

I'm gonna make a small trap that I can load with bait next time I go out. Anyone here ever try a trap? Kinda like a small crab "pot", if your familar with that term.

Also, what do you guys put your fish into once you've caught them? I tried a zip lock bag, but it kept opening up on me, releasing my hard won prize.
Old 08/30/2006, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by speckled trout
[B]That's been my problem with the net. There are so many places for the fish to dive into that the net has been mostly ineffective. If you chase them hard enough to actually catch them they get injured.

However, when the water's crystal clear the fish is gonna be able to see everything and probably notice a net of any kind.

Not the clear net. The only this the fish sees is the net handle. And the knack in catching them is outsmarting them. Watch their swimming pattern and where the fish likes to hid. Then position your net in an area where the fish is most likely to go to escape. Then chase them into it. This does not work every time. But with a little practice and patience you will be successful

Also, what do you guys put your fish into once you've caught them? I tried a zip lock bag, but it kept opening up on me, releasing my hard won prize

I just snorkel. So I just tied one of those floating bait keepers you can find in any bait and tackle shop to my diver down flag. I assume that you have one(diver down flag that is). If not I strongly suggest you do get one. Wally world sells them pretty reasonably when they have them.

I'm gonna make a small trap that I can load with bait next time I go out. Anyone here ever try a trap? Kinda like a small crab "pot", if your familar with that term.

I'm not saying it won't work, but I've tried this before with no result. Thses fish are too smart for that. The crabs will thank you though.
Old 09/15/2006, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

I lived and collected in the Marshall Islands for 3 years. The slurp gun was not effective, but the nets described above worked well. The clear plastic doesn't catch on corals etc. I used 1/2 gal clear plastic food containers (Rubbermaid?) that had a flip open lid to keep the critters in. I dummy corded them to my BC and by drilling holes in the top I could do a partial water change by just squeezing the container to force stale water out and fresh back in when released. Fish tend to swim down when alarmed so after positioning the net I'd use a Tickle stick (a chopstick on a string ) to chase them out and into the net. Then scoop upward to allow me to choke off the net and get ready to transfer them to the container.
Old 09/26/2006, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Don't waste your time or money on a slurp gun. people find out I catch fish for a living always ask the same question. I don't know where this myth comes from but they always say "do you use those slurp guns?".

I have been doing this for many years and have never seen anyone use them.

The nets work good. you will catch more if you build a fence net. it is just a net that you put up as a barrier where you think the fish will run. mine are about 50'+ long and about 4' high. but anything helps I have some that are 10' long and 3' high that would work for what you are doing. They are made of fishing line that has 1/4 in eyes. might be kinda hard to find but you may be able to make them from a mesh at a fabric store. then get the "pinch to close" type fishing weights and squeeze them to the bottom of your material and then buy some really, really small floats to attach to the top of your mesh. make sure the finish product sinks way more than it floats. and you are in business.

as far as where to put the fish after you catch them. bait buckets with the trap doors work best. just drill holes, or cut off the float chambers on the sides so the bucket will sink.

Good luck!
Old 09/28/2006, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

where can you get the clear nets at?
Old 09/29/2006, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

The 50' nets your talking about would be good in shallow water, but I'm trying to catch fish in 100' of water. Trying to figure out where they're gonna run is a little more difficult when they can go up and down as well as left or right. But you have given me an idea that might work in my situation, though.
Old 09/29/2006, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

wow! 100' in gulf of Texas. whats the visibility?

The nets I described I use in water depths from 5-250' we do most of our diving in 60-140', so they should work for you also.

most aquarium fish stay pretty close to the reef (usually within a foot or two max). there are some that swim more mid-water (blue throat, crosshatch, black trigger, pennant butterflies, all hang a little higher) but they retreat to the reef when you approach them.

Here is where I buy my nets from. they don't have them listed online but they have them in stock. their website isnt really up to date.

http://www.hanapaahawaii.net/
Old 09/30/2006, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the advice guys. I bought one of those clear slic nets and used a bait bucket w/ the trap door to hold the fish. I greatly increased my catch. I did 1 dive and I caught 13 butterflies and 1 snowy grouper. the fish couldn't see the net and it was quik and easy storing them in the bait bucket.
oh, btw this dive was in NY.
Old 10/01/2006, 04:23 AM
Premium Member

fishome25 what was the temperature and visibility?
What kind of butterflies? got any pics?
Old 10/01/2006, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

went again today and caught 5 more but the visability today was only 3' yesterday about 6' on a better day its like 15'. here are sound tropicals that come up to NY. today the water was 66 degrees.
4 eyed butterfly

lizardfish

snowy grouper

volitan lionfish

scamp grouper
Old 10/02/2006, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Those are spotfin butterflies (Chaetodon ocellatus) not foureyes.

The lionfish is an invasive species which is becoming increasingly common.

-Mark
Old 10/02/2006, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

oops, my mistake. i haven't seen any 4 eyes yet.