Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling

Old 08/30/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

just venting

I ran into some guys I see from time to time. Where I see them is at the grocery store. The reason I know them is because of their rig ,A boat with dive gear and the main thing you see on board is nice spear guns . Usually I dont get the chance to talk to them but today I guess I was early and ran into them in the fruit Isle.I jokeingly asked them if they were going on a killing spree.They said heck ya we kill everything in sight. What in the world is going through peoples minds? Duh lets go out and kill all the big groupers on the wreck cus the grouper from last year has freezer burn and I need to reup. But really these guys openly admitted they always kill the biggest fish they find. I tried to talk conservation like go after the smaller ones , they laughed like I was joking. Ok just venting

Last edited by redox; 08/30/2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08/30/2007, 08:29 PM
10 & Over Club

Got to hate that attitude. I've been involved in some interesting research on size selecting fishing on fish populations. Basically, if you keep pulling out the biggest fish and removing their genes from the gene pool you will decrease the size of the fish in the population. Not only that, but smaller fish produce less gametes and tend to be less robust. A couple of obvious cases in point are the Goliath Groupers and Giant Tuna. All the big ones were heavily targeted, now you don't find as many or ones that get as big as they used too.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 08/30/2007, 10:08 PM
Master Scuba Certified

How true.... People need a wake up call!!!!!

"A Lasting Work Requires Extensive Preparation" -- Douglas Rumford

http://www.myspace.com/masterdiver1
Old 08/31/2007, 05:34 AM
Registered Member

short of a fist fight how do you get these people to wake up? I get all flustered every time I see red necks with spear guns. It totally ruins my day
Old 08/31/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

no one will ever spear this trigger

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08/31/2007, 08:00 PM
Master Scuba Certified

I wish I knew!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by redox
short of a fist fight how do you get these people to wake up? I get all flustered every time I see red necks with spear guns. It totally ruins my day

Old 08/31/2007, 10:23 PM
Slowly growing gills.

Problem is, in their mind the largest animal is the most desireable to spear. They often have a very limited concept of how that will impact the development of future generations of fish in the area.

To ask them, it would be ridiculous to think about spearing the smaller fish. The whole reason they are out there is to have an adventure and kill the biggest monster they can find.

The whole process is very competitive and testosterone fueled.

They are likely to look down at you for even suggesting you avoid shooting the larger animals.

Like any hunting, it should be monitored and regulated by impartial, mature individuals so that the populations of fish are not deleteriously impacted. (But then who is to say when deleterious impact has occured.)

This is a sport that is the result of an advanced society with too much free time and needs a specialized branch of government to help protect the animals being hunted and yet still provide the freedom to allow people to enjoy this sort of activity. And those people wishing to participate should be solely responsible for funding the agency placed in authority over it.
Old 09/01/2007, 12:01 AM
Master Scuba Certified

Yep, I would agree with you....

Old 09/01/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

Hey redox why don't you let the air out of their tires while they are in the fruit isle. By the time they get done pumping up all their tires again they will be too tired to go spear fishing...After the third or fourth time maybe they will get the hint....just kiddin...
Old 09/02/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

let the air out of their tanks would be better. man that would stink to go 40 or so miles out and realize you tanks were empty
Old 09/02/2007, 04:09 PM
Master Scuba Certified

Heheh....just don't let the air out right before they dive...or....OUTCH!!!!

Old 09/04/2007, 05:09 AM
Registered Member

I hope they get there leg torn off by a shark.

Last edited by billsreef; 09/04/2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09/04/2007, 06:26 AM
10 & Over Club

No cheating the profanity censor, please

Old 09/04/2007, 04:18 PM
Slowly growing gills.

Do you guys hear yourselves? Let the air out of the their tires? hope a shark eats him? Are you for the idea of conservation of the reefs? You have to be kidding me. Maybe we should worry more about conservation of the species (humans). I feel ashamed whenever I hear someone expound radical or violent wishes at someone who doesnt agree with their view of the world. Makes you sound just like the Terrorists we hear about on the news all the time. (Only difference is you feel that way about the enviroment, they feel that way about their religion). Extremism is wrong, and you should never wish bad things to happen to someone else who you dont even know.

Maybe a little acceptance for the viewpoints of others should start here in America. We dont all have to agree on everything, but we do need to stop fighting over every disagreement we have.
Old 09/04/2007, 11:31 PM
Master Scuba Certified

Ooooooo...Yeah, sharks eating people is never a good thing... No, leting air out of tanks would probably get you hurt....
I think a little education would go a long way if you could get people to listen.... I will say that comercial fishing takes all and anything that gets in the nets....so a few fish speared by a couple divers would be no worse than the fisherman on the boat that is looking to get the big catch of the day.... Just try to catch and release those big guys....Spear the pan sized fish...and leave the big ones alone!!!

Old 09/08/2007, 11:41 AM
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper

While you people are busy bashing the spearfisherman, no one has spoken about the real enemy here.....the Hook and line commercial fisherman and the longliners who truly rape and pillage the reefs.

Wake up, and look beyond your neighbor whom you believe is the problem.

As for the comments about the Jewfish (oops, goliath). Have any of you dove in the Gulf of Mexico recently? Or even the SE US? We have tons of very large Goliaths, I've seen many upwards of 400+ lbs.

Instead of pointing your fingers at responsible recreational fisherman, which includes those who use spears that are more selective in the killing (the key word is selective), why don't you all go read up on what commercial fishing and longliners are doing to this fish population.

Read up on that, go order a grouper sandwich at your local restaurant, then get back w/ me. :disgusted:
Old 09/08/2007, 11:48 AM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by reelfreak
Instead of pointing your fingers at responsible recreational fisherman
You might want to reread the original post. He wasn't ranting against responsible recreational spear fisherman, but ones with the irresponsible attitude of spearing everything in sight. No ones has claimed there aren't problems with commercial fishing either

Old 09/08/2007, 03:03 PM
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper

Re: just venting

Quote:
Originally posted by redox
s I jokeingly asked them if they were going on a killing spree.They said heck ya we kill everything in sight. What in the world is going through peoples minds? Duh lets go out and kill all the big
While the original poster states they "jokingly" asked, who's to say the spearo's didn't jokingly respond.

Maybe Redox should have asked to see this "killing spree" and taken pictures for all of us to yell blasphemy at them for, but I'll guess and say that their "kill" wasn't the ROOT of the problem that spearfishermen are blamed for. Someone please post some longline pics for everyone to see, and suddenly you will stop pointing toward spearfishers.

I won't even ask, well......I will. Those who have responded to this thread, Have you even tried spearfishing before? Especially for these "trophy" fish that you condemn others for seeking? It's not shooting ducks in a barrel by the way (BTW).

I'm not going to argue about this point with anyone (especially RC staff) but this post strikes me as, just as ignorant as the original poster seems to believe the fisherman are. JMO

I may follow along with this "rant" but until someone posts any logical and measurable data about spearfishing vs. commercial fishing, I probably will decline to add any comments.

Thanks for reading the other side of the story.......Albeit, after making you own conclusions.
Old 09/08/2007, 04:38 PM
Master Scuba Certified

reelfreak...

I get a fishing license every year and love to fish... I try to be conservative and release the ones that are too small and any females holding eggs.... Even "Some" of the large ones.... I also do a bit of spear fishing...again I am on the conservative side and am careful what I spear...

The fact is, I have never dove with any other divers that are avid spear fisherman that were careless or reckless with what they speared or any that went beyond the daily limit!!!

I can fully understand the "Rant" These particular divers even if joking, gave the impression that they were over the top!!! If what they said was true, and that was there true intent, then hey, "Rant away"....

Old 09/08/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

spear fisherman

sorry there is so much controvercy about what I said. It was never about commercial fisherman just some guys ive seen before and conservation is the last thing on their mind. And it is like shooting ducks in a barrel here as we have lots as wrecks and lots of fish, well we did and still do in some out of the way places. My point is and always was why do they have a freezer full of fish and still keep going out to kill? Heck yesterday my painter told me he needed to make room in his freezer(for bambi) and had over 200lbs of trigger,mahi,grouper that they had caught this summer that would now go to waste if he cant give it away. How many people,how many freezers? I hate to say it but they are a dime a dozen. That is what I was trying to say with this post
Old 09/08/2007, 05:26 PM
10 & Over Club

Re: Re: just venting

Quote:
Originally posted by reelfreak
[B]While the original poster states they "jokingly" asked, who's to say the spearo's didn't jokingly respond.
I figure since he talked to them face to face he would know if they were joking around with him vs. being serious. Especially since he tried talking conservation with them.

Quote:
Someone please post some longline pics for everyone to see, and suddenly you will stop pointing toward spearfishers.
Just because one commercial fishery (actually more than one) is a problem, doesn't mean recreational fishing can't also be a problem. I can also rail against indiscriminate longline catches and gill nets

Quote:
I won't even ask, well......I will. Those who have responded to this thread, Have you even tried spearfishing before? Especially for these "trophy" fish that you condemn others for seeking? It's not shooting ducks in a barrel by the way (BTW).
I do spearfish. Also hook and line, mostly surfishing. While in the past, yes I always wanted to land and keep that trophy fish, these days I believe in throwing that trophy fish back into the gene pool. Always taking the biggest fish out of a population does have a negative effect on the population, both in terms of top size of the fish in the population and reproductive ability. This as been show in North Atlantic Codfish, and think about Giant Tuna...used to hear about 1000 Lb Giants being caught all the time, not any more.

Quote:
I'm not going to argue about this point with anyone (especially RC staff)
Debates are fine, so long as we all stick to the points and don't get into any personal jabs

Old 09/09/2007, 06:18 PM
Slowly growing gills.

Hate to do this, but I can kinda understand reelfreaks attitude. Like it or not, enviro-management has become very politically correct and one of the primary tenents of the enviromentally aware concept is a strict disaproval of any activities that involve killing animals. (obviously)

The odd side effect of this is that there is a societal acceptance of showing thinly veiled hostility towards those who choose to engage in hunting, fishing, collecting or other such activities. Somewhere during the last twenty years the attitude in our society changed 180. Now saying you are a hunter is likely to get you publicly chastised by someone who doesnt even know you. People feel obligated to share their attitudes about these "safe" topics. It is similar to lighting a ciggarette in a public place in California. Anyone who fells like venting can just pipe in and give the smoker a piece of their mind. And the smoker is obligated to endure the hostility without recourse because they are "obviously" doing something "wrong" in the first place. This is not fair to do to anyone and hiding behind a P.C. cause is rapidly wearing thin with many people.

I am by no means saying people should endure suffering to appease the desires of others. Be it the person breathing the second hand smoke or the smoker who needs to obligate their addiction. (metaphor!) Both parties should learn to curtail their interaction to reasonable levels. The smoker should understand the impact his activity has on others and the non smoker should respect the right of each person to make up their own mind about a situation and not feel inclined to convert or judge others.
Old 09/09/2007, 06:30 PM
Master Scuba Certified

I think it is time for a good fish fry!!! Here is a stringer of walleye.... want to join me!!!

Old 09/10/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

As long as they arent freezer burnt
Old 09/10/2007, 10:14 PM
Master Scuba Certified

No, no freezer burn here...
These were sure good!!!! My freezer is empty now.... Need some more....