Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling

Old 11/10/2005, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

hook up with ALDORA dive shop the best there very small groups me and my wife did our first dive there 2 dives a day all 4 days drift dives are effortless have fun.
Old 11/11/2005, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

unfortunately, I will not be going to Cozumel now, the resort my company had booked, the "Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel Resort and Spa" is forecasting a late 2006 reopening due to the damage by the hurricane.
Waiting to find out where we will go instead.
Old 11/11/2005, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

WOW... late 2006!?
Does anyone have a consolidated list of properties with reopen dates?
Old 11/14/2005, 04:05 AM
Registered Member

ive dove in cozumel and i would honestly have to say i wasnt that impressed
Old 11/18/2005, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

If I had more than a week in Cozumel, could you recommend a place to learn SCUBA there? What type of certification should I be looking to get?

My wife and I have never gone SCUBA diving before. We have children. How young can you be to learn to SCUBA?

Though I hear your recommendations to get certified first, I'm not sure we'll have enough time beforehand.

Regards,

Roy
Old 11/18/2005, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

If you can't get certified first, at a minimum do the classroom and pool work in the states and then do the open water part at CZM. You don't want to spend a week of your vacation in a classroom.
Old 11/19/2005, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

after getting certified, I now have to agree, do it before you go down. There are many, many things you need to learn to keep yourself and those around you safe. I have earned a healthy respect and comfort in the water and will now enjoy my diving much, much more.

as for time, it only took me 2 weekends to get certified.
Old 11/24/2005, 08:08 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Best idea is to do classroom work stateside & do open water cert in Cozumel/dive destination.
My Instructor has been going to Cozumel for 10+ years & this is who we dive with. I've been 4 times so far, planning on going back
I know he was unaffected by Hurricane, but verify where you are staying

http://www.xaac.com/mantaray/index.htm
Old 01/18/2006, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

just got back from cozumel a week ago, and i would have to say that most hotels will not be opening anytime soon. the presidente place looked pretty bad.

there weren't a whole lot of tourists down there right now. we were lucky to get a condo rented for the week, but we were obviously their first guests back (didn't have any furniture until about an hour after we arrived!).

diving was pretty fun. got to snorkel with the dolphins in between dives. I guess it was one of the first times they've seen them back since the big hurricane. The reef life looked damaged, but there was still A LOT there. I will definately go back next year (my father goes there to dive every year).

Zac
Old 01/18/2006, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the report!
Can you report on the general condition of the town? major hotels?
Old 01/19/2006, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

sure!

the town itself is doing a lot of work to get back together. the downtown was back to normal. As far as the hotels, most look very bad. El Cid was just a skeleton, El Presidente was the same, along with most other hotels. Chunkanaab Park was demolished, the dolphin park and everything is completely gone. The big pier is all broken up. With that unfortunately all cruise ships drop anchor close to reefs.

I think it may be a good six months before most hotels open back up. There were very few tourists there because there is no where to stay. We had to fly into Cancun, take a taxi down to Playa Del Carmen and take the ferry over to Cozumel; there was no major flights going into Cozumel two weeks ago when we went.

Basically as far as damage went, the Southern part of town got torn apart the worst. We dove with Papa Hogs, and they lost their shop by the water and most equipment, but have relocated across the street by the restaurant.

Basically it's in rough shape right now, but it's not inhabitable and is it still worth visiting. You just have to know ahead of time about the rebuilding before you go.

Zac
Old 01/20/2006, 01:18 AM
Premium Member

I was there for a day of snorkeling towards the end of December.

It was a wasted day. We were in front of the trashed Fiesta Americana and hardly saw anything.

The snorkeling was 10 times better in Akumal.

Best of luck,

Roy
Old 01/20/2006, 01:39 AM
Premium Member

I have not been to Cozumel in many years, too bad about the damage. the El Presidente was the first place I stayed, had a blast
The only thing I would add to what has been said here is to inspect any rental dive equipment carefully. I always take my regulator set with me at the least. I have seen some well worn rental gear, leaky regulators, vests, and tanks....

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Old 01/20/2006, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

i was assume a lot of the real shallow snorkeling areas would've been trashed by the storm, but over by our condo we had some really good snorkeling. there was a nice reef wall about a mile long that we would swim next to with all kinds of fish, inverts, and corals.

zac
Old 01/20/2006, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

I thought I read a forecast for many hotels to be open by the end Of January. Was that just wishful thinking or what?

I diverted to Puerto Rico and dove off El Diablo island. Not the same as Cozumel and even the dive shop owner there agreed with me.
Old 01/22/2006, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

I would honestly be surprised if they were open by the end of January. The place we stayed at was barely open.... barely. We didn't have hot water until halfway through the trip, i had to fix a leak under the kitchen sink, and we didn't have furniture right away! Basically the place was still getting itself together, but it was still a very fun trip. It's always nice to go on vacation and have a peaceful time without all the other tourists.

I hope the hotels can open as soon as they can down there, the island really needs people to stay and spend money.

Zac
Old 01/27/2006, 02:57 AM
Registered Member

What up Zac! I'm planning to go there in May so I'll definitely need to give you a call and get some details together. Too sad about the hurricane damage. I had no idea it was that bad. I was planning on doing some deep sea fishing and Mayan ruin exploring. Any info on how those areas are holding up?

Chad