Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/31/2005, 07:53 AM
Girl Geek

Court Jester Goby

I found some court jester gobys at the LFS for $20.00 each and I'm thinking about getting one. They are really cool looking fish. Since the info on here seems to be that these guys are hard to keep, I wanted to get some opinions of others if I should try it.

I have a 125 gallon aquarium that has been setup for over 1.5 years. Currently, I have a purple firefish, yellow clown goby, scooter blenny, and yasa hashe goby. Will the court jester work with these tankmates?

I have a few patches of green hair algae that come and go, but never on any extensive scale. I do have about 180 lbs of live rock and a 3 inch sand bed.

If I could keep one, is there any possibility of keeping two? At the LFS, two are in a tank now and they swim side by side with eachother. I am not sure if I could conclude if they are a pair or not from their behavior or not.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 08/31/2005, 11:05 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

I think you have a good set up for them, I would say the two would be fine together, even if they are not or do not pair up, the tank should be large enough for them to have their own space.
Old 08/31/2005, 02:54 PM
Girl Geek

Thanks. I'm going to try it. They are just too awesome to pass up!
Old 08/31/2005, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

post a pic
Old 08/31/2005, 03:00 PM
Moved On

i have a few in a BB..they seem happy and actually school together...as far as hardiness goes i find them the easiest fish to take of in my tank, i dont do anything for them they take care of themselves (and they dont eat anything that i put in my tank)...someone told me on a thread that "they can live in a toilet bowl and be happy"
Old 08/31/2005, 08:38 PM
Girl Geek

Well, I got them. They are so cool. I'm acclimating them now. I watched closely at the store and they seemed to get along well, so I got both. I'm going to leave them in the QT for 2-3 days then move them to my display. With my discount, they were only $18.00 each. Amazing coming from a store that sells purple firefish for $70.00. I'll post pics in a few days.
Old 09/08/2005, 04:46 AM
DSB are gooood, mmkay?

Keep us updated. I am actually thinking about getting one in my 55 gallon reef. If I see one I'll ask to see if it will eat frozen bloodworms at the LFS. I heard they are very personable fish and are very active.

I'm interested to see how yours will do so I'm following your thread.
1 Coral Beauty
3 Wrasse
2 Clowns
2 Gobies
1 Yellowtail Damsel
1 Candy Hogfish
Old 09/08/2005, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

The ones I got were very hardy...one dissappeared in the overflow for a week and it was still alive! One thing I like about this fish is that they nip and strip small patches of red cyano!
Old 09/08/2005, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

I had one in my nano for a couple of months, unfortunately my fish have been "disappearing" in this tank lately. I think I might have a hitchiker of some kine (mantis?). Anyway, cool fish and easy to take care of. Kept the sand nice and clean in that little tank.
Old 09/08/2005, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

i got one like a week ago, havn't seen it sinse. only other fish is a little chromis, not capable of damage. i have an abundace of pods and stuff in my tank so i don't know whats wrong, but hes been gone for about 5 days now. sad
Old 09/08/2005, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

I had a sunrise dottyback do that. Found him 2 years later when we tore the 215 down. Don't give up so easy
Old 09/09/2005, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

I had one about a year ago in my 44 gal. He ate everything I put in (including flake food) and was a very easy fish to keep. He died from a velvet outbreak.
Old 09/10/2005, 06:14 PM
Girl Geek

Just a little update. They have been in my main tank for about a week. The first few days they swam right next to each other, but after that time, they seem to have made they homes on opposite ends of the tank. Maybe they'll end up back together at some point, it looked so cute.

The one below hangs around my firefish. The firefish seemed to chase it for a day or so, I thought firefish were suppose to be peaceful, oh well. Now they seem to be fine with each other, maybe it just took some time.

This one found the little bit of hair algae in the back corner of my tank and just hangs out around it. Not a very good pic, but it's as good as I could get.

They seem to eat cyclopeeze and mysis when I feed the tank.
Old 09/10/2005, 07:43 PM
Girl Geek

Guess I may have spoke to soon. Just went to feed my tank and now the two gobies are swimming together again. Very cool!
Old 09/10/2005, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

i bought a pair of these guys..... when i got them they were small and fairly thin... after a couple months one turned up dead ..isince then the other has been doing great

anyway best of luck with both of them...they truly are amazing fish i love mine (yea hes fat and has tripled in size)...... i also have a hectors with mine now and they really compliment each other