Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/08/2005, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

tomato clowns

how can u tell the sex of tomato clowns
Old 09/08/2005, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

the female is the biggest
Old 09/08/2005, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

well ones got a black body n the other one is orange and the blackish one is bigger so that the female ?
Old 09/08/2005, 04:45 PM
Who's your Daddy

if you have just purchased the 2 fish, and they were not originally a pair... the biggest fish of the two will physically assume the role as a female therefore changing its sex.

why does this happen, you might ask?
because when clownfish are hatched... they (all) start their life cycle as males
Old 09/09/2005, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Yes, the blackish one is the female. Even if there isn't a pair, the single will eventually turn female and darken up considerably.
Old 09/09/2005, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

usually the females become more of a dark color, not black but a deep blood red. They also become larger than their mates. Now this is not always true there are some exceptions to the rule. Also i dont think females can change back to males, i could be wrong about this, but i would say get one medium sized one and one smaller one, this should yield the best results. Good luck.
Old 09/09/2005, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GovtCheese
why does this happen, you might ask?
because when clownfish are hatched... they (all) start their life cycle as males
Actually tomato clowns start sexless.
Old 09/10/2005, 01:40 AM
Who's your Daddy

Quote:
Originally posted by SW Fan
Actually tomato clowns start sexless.
thank you for bringing that to my attention

this is a perfect example of a person drinking should absolutley not be giving advice
Old 09/10/2005, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

First off, I'm 13. Second off they do start sexless. If you have a pair of clowns in a tank and other clowns of the same species the pair will be male and female and the rest will stay sexless.
Old 09/10/2005, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

the kid is right, looks like he has done his homework.

I have a mated pair of tomoatoe clawns, did much reading to make it so. Joyce Wilkerson's book "Clowfish" is a good read. If you are really interested in keeping clownfish, can't get much better than that.

It is just as has been said. The female is large and dark. The male is maybe 1/3 her size if that, and more of an orange red. She bosses him around but I think sometimes he is a slacker. When ever she swims over the anemones, he moves to the rock behind them and makes like he is cleaning house. Guess he wants her to know he is busy. But he quits soon after she leaves. Maybe she don't want to lay eggs there I figure.

In any event, as the 13 year old said, they all start out as juveniles. The fastest growing and most aggressive becomes the female, then next the male, all others stay sexless. Any of the Juvies that are even close to the size of the male get chased out of the anemone. Should the female die, the male becomes the female, and all juvies do a massive growth spurt in a bid to become the male. One does. The female can not go back to being male.

The thinking is that this arrangement minimizes the amount of time where mating can not take place. No need to find another mate, just wait a month and the remaining fish will have a mate (albeit after a sex change).

The book details how to make a pair of two clowns. I followed one tack described in the book. Since I already had a big female., I got a small fish and dropped it in the tank after a 16 minute FW dip. She chased him for a day or two. He acted like he was only interested in eating and whenever she got close he would just flip out of the way.

After about 2 days she stopped chasing him just because he was there. Only when food entered the picture did she chase him. He would sleep on his side on a rock. I thought he was dead but nope, just sleeping.

After about one week she stopped chasing him all together. I figure because he never made any attempt to fight back. Then, the female start doing something neat. She had dug a hole in the sand at the back of the tank behind and below some rocks to make a house. She would come out of her house, swim around the little guy and then go back down under the rock into her house: "want to come up for a drink sailor?". She did this for about 3 days on an off, but I think he was just to dumb to figure it out so in the end she pushed him down into her hole.

After that they stayed together. He would follow her around everywhere. They even shared food for a while. Each would grab a piece of something and then spit it out for the other to eat. After six months I got them two anemones.

Anemones are a PIA sometimes. These two things moved under a rock ledge. MAMA found them and decided there were a luxury condo and moved in with Gilber in tow (he was named, but not the female). They layed eggs on the underside of the roof of the cave. I guess she liked being flanked by two safe anemones.

Anyway, I still have them, and they still act funny but have not had any more clutches since I added a YT. He is a pain too but now that he is mine, not much to do about it.

Good luck all, Kevin